UTI at 12 weeks

Jellybean34

Reaction score
I know UTIs are common in pregnancy but I just wanted to check any side effects for baby if left too long.

Last 10 days or so I've felt the worst I've been since being pregnant, however I escaped morning sickness so was lucky but last 10-14 days been super tired, back ache, joint ache, unusual cramping pains and pains when needing a poo and headaches. All I thought were normal symptoms of pregnancy.

I had my booking in app two weeks ago tomorrow where I gave MW a urine sample. Tonight I get a call from my doctors to say MW called them today to say I've got a UTI and I've been prescribed antibiotics .

I feel annoyed that it's taken two weeks to find out, is that a normal amount of time? If this had been untreated for at least two weeks could it have harmed the baby?

Have my scan tomorrow and was trying to stay relaxed but this hasn't helped.

I would chat with your midwife. Seems a long time to have only just found out, when the basic test is just dipstick in urine!
I think you'll be ok and baby, but check it out with midwife and explain your concerns.
UTIs, as you say, are so common in pregnancy that I imagine many pregnant women go longer without them being diagnosed or not at all sometimes! The aches and pains are similar to pregnancy aches and pains (I used to have loads of UTIs when not pregnant and now not having any, but feels similar!) so it is hard to tell. Thought I had one to start with and it was fine.
If you can't speak to your midwife or don't feel comfortable, maybe find a trusted nurse or GP? Nurses can be good with this type of thing, I think. Especially female ones who actually get it, better than GPs often!
Good luck! Hope all is well. Xx

I had my booking in appointment at 13 weeks and was called a week later to say I had a UTI.

I didn't have any symptoms though other than needing to wee more often (which I just thought was due to the pregnancy!)
I didn't take the antibiotics because they can ruin the baby's teeth. I made sure I drank more water and took Apple Cider Vinegar in a large mug of water twice a day for three days. Then about a week later I got cranberry tablets and took one tablet a day.
At 16 weeks (two weeks later) I gave another sample and it came back clear of any infection. My 20 week sample was also clear.

Don't drink cranberry juice though as it's usually high in sugar which feeds the infection. I'd either take fresh cranberries or a cranberry tablet supplement, and drink more water to flush the kidneys etc (and ACV if you can stomach it lol).
Garlic is also supposed to be good for keeping infections at bay.

I would chat with your midwife. Seems a long time to have only just found out, when the basic test is just dipstick in urine!

The pots you get given to pee in aren't sterile so the initial dip test is unreliable, at my 16 week appointment it showed high leucocytes which they said could indicate an infection or could just be due to bacteria in the pot.
They have to send the samples off to the lab where it takes 2 or 3 days to 'culture' it to see if bacteria is growing in the sample.
Usually they get the results back within a week though, so waiting 2 weeks seems excessive!

Yes. However, if no reason to send off, they don't, so not to be told that they were even doing this seems wrong!

Thanks everyone, I've already started the antibiotics, I didn't think I would be given something that could have a bad effect on baby's development though? Should I be worried now?

I will ring MW today to ask why it's taken so long etc

Just hoping I feel better soon x

Thanks for the heads up on cranberry juice! I was going to get some so will avoid that. I do have ACV at home for the dog so I could use that as well as the tablets?

Thanks everyone, I've already started the antibiotics, I didn't think I would be given something that could have a bad effect on baby's development though? Should I be worried now?

I will ring MW today to ask why it's taken so long etc

Just hoping I feel better soon x

Thanks for the heads up on cranberry juice! I was going to get some so will avoid that. I do have ACV at home for the dog so I could use that as well as the tablets?

I chose to but I bought my tablets online so they took about a week to arrive lol. I only did the ACV for three days because, frankly, it's horrid haha. Online it said to take for three to 5 days but three was about all I could bare.
So I'd already been off the ACV a few days before taking the cranberry tablets. I can't see it being a problem doing both at the same time though.

I don't know about antibiotics... the NHS will prescribe them and say they are safe, I've heard/read/seen too many cases where the baby/child's teeth have come through discoloured and/or crumbled, and it seems to be taking antibiotics in pregnancy that's the cause.
I wasn't completely against them, I chose to not take them in the first instance as I had no pain or other symptoms (like burning when weeing etc).
I decided to try to clear it naturally and then take the antibiotics if the infection was still there, which thankfully it wasn't. If my next sample had shown the UTI was still there I'd have begrudgingly taken them lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back