Using breast as a comforter ~ advice please

Redshoes

Reaction score
Isaac is breast and bottle (formula) fed, and sometimes he chooses to cry and cry until I latch him on, although then he just goes to sleep because he wants soothing not feeding.

I can soothe him to sleep through holding him and swaying him, and other ways, but some days its BREAST ONLY and trust me I try, as does OH, but ONLY the boob will do :roll:

Has anyone any advice as to how to stop this? :? We've tried a dummy over and over again, he just doesn't like them :talkhand:

have you tried a differnt kind of dummy as the orthodontist ones are a completely different shape to the others..

I use my little finger as a dummy aswell that often works

thats all that comes to mind..hope ypu find something that helps

Thanks cloud :hug:
We've tried the TT orthodontic, the MAM tiny baby ones, and just your average supermarket dummy, he just doesn't like them and does that terrible gagging sound :( he doesn't do the finger either :(

He's still really little, I'd just let him do it, in time he'll find other ways to comfort himself, for now only mummy will do and thats a good thing :)

millie often wants my breast as a comforter, and wont take a dummy anymore either (she did for about a week since then she always spits it out- i guess itll save us the job later of tryna wean her off it!)
i just let her do it as long as it dont hurt

Georgia does this too. She literally spent 12hrs on there on Wednesday. She will take a mam dummy at the moment but I have noticed now it takes a couple of attempts to get her to latch on correctly so I think maybe the dummy is confusing her.

I don't know what else to suggest you try, hope you get something sorted soon. As nice as it is to cuddle and feed them it's not really practical to have a baby strapped to your boob for hours on end.

Thanks Urchin and trixipaws, it's great he wants Mummy, I guess it's just a little frustrating because I am always here for him, like you say Heather, it isn't practical :? Sometimes singing works so I'm going with that for starters, hopefully as he gets older he will grow out of it :pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back