Using a spoon?

charliebear

Reaction score
What age did your LO use a spoon themselves? And what did you do to encourage the use of the spoon?

We've had great fun tonight with a spoon and a yoghurt! :lol: AJ will feed me and with a little guidance put the spoon to his mouth!

we've been using spoons and forks for a few months now, she cant get the food onto them herself, but cab find her mouth no probs now!

From about 10 or 11 months I used to give Sam a spoon to hold while I fed him but he didn't get much in with it until a few months later... can't remember when exactly but he's been good with a fork and spoon for a few months now. He wanted to eat dry cereal with a fork the other day though... had to let him watch it ping all over the kitchen before he realised a spoon would be easier :lol:

Aww bless him.

AJ is at the point where he doesnt want to be spoon fed and is sick of playing with the spoon!
I think I'll strip him off and let him play...see what happens!

We went through a stage where most of Sam's food could be picked up because he wasn't quite good enough at spooning it into his mouth and refused to let me feed him so it was the only way to get him to eat! Lots of chunks of veg, homemade fish fingers or fishcakes and things!

i just gave a spoon to zander and bella when they were 6 months from start of weaning and lets them play around with it and get messy when they wanted i think from 10 months they were both fully spoon fork trained and issabelle is 2 now and uses a knife too - kiddie knife though x x

I've bought some cutlery but TBH I havent bothered with it yet. She's grabbed the spoon from early on and was doing well until she started being fed by my MIL while I was at work....:doh: I'm going to start again with that soon but as she mainly eats with her hands it's not really been high up on my to do list.....:oops:

we went thru that too, katie was really good with her finger foods and spoons...then i went back to work!! finger foods became prractically non existant cos she was too young and might choke!

i had that problem too zander was using the finger foods and forks from 7 months and then it went back to hands and looking at me funny like he was waiting for something - this was only a day at nannies and a night i aksed if she fed them by spoon as they had been there the next day too - she fed him when i nipped out to the shop and she was like she im not having a mess in my house and he is too young to feed himself! i was like huh only one day messed up weeks of progress :wall2:

My MIL hates mess and had no patience. It killed her Chritstmas day to see Hebe with a tray of food just munching then leaving bits. She thinks it should ALL go down in double quick time.....:doh:

rhys had a spoon from 6 months and now 11 months will dip in yoghurt etc, but often he likes get his hands in there and lick his fingers instead.
havent tried a fork yet but will when he turn 1 yrs old

x

Well lunch was a no go. Guess teething with 2 back and 2 eye teeth meals arnt top priority to AJ.
Tonight I made a big show of getting his big boy cutlery out and washing it whilst heating his dinner. (were having problems at meal times, so making a big deal of things!)
He was dipping his big boy spoon into his dinner and looking at it, no eating yet (decided to let him go with no guidance) but let me feed him off of his fork! Bless.

Rosie has just started refusing to be fed by me - although Ive always given her finger foods where I can. I think they all progress at their own pace, Rosie has only just shown a definite wish to feed herself and she is doing quite well with a spoon but ends up using her fingers if she gets frustrated. They all end up using cutlery in the end anyway!

I put porridge on the spoon and give it to Jack, he just pulls the porridge off with his other hand and rams it into his mouth :wall2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back