Urgent question?

KJL

Reaction score
Ok I've just come in to work and I am manning the office on my own. It seems there are builders on the roof plastic coating it and the fumes are really bad in the office. I have just asked the builder if it is ok to inhale the fumes if i'm pregnant and he said there fine but i'm not sure?! No one work related knows I'm pregnant so I'm not sure what I should say? Should I be worried and make some excuse to leave or should the fumes be ok?

Hiya,

I would ask the builder what it is exactly they are putting on the roof and look it up on the internet. If you are any way concerned I would leave, its not worth stressing yourself about it.

Ella

as above you need to find out whats in the stuff hes using..

they said it's a plastic coating, I think it's to seal the roof. I can't actually get to the builders as they're up on the roof and I don't fancy climbing the scaffolding :?

Probably a wise decision not to climb the scaffolding. If you can smell it and it smells of any chemical type fumey smell I would go. Do you have a Health and Safety officer - you could ask their advice (in confidence)

If you ask the H&S officer it then becomes their responsibility to tell your emplyer that you are pregnant. They will have no choice because of their duty of care, there's no confidentiality agreement

If the substance they are using is not safe for pregnant women to breathe, they shouldn't be using it in a public place anyway. However if you're still concerned - tell your boss you've been sick and need to go home :wink:

i wouldnt take any chances. i'd pretend i felt sick and leave.

thanks for the advice, one of the builders knocked on the door and explained about the chemical they were using, I decided that I should tell him i'm pregnant and he responded straight away saying I should go home as it's not a good idea to be around the fumes all day. Anyway spoke to my boss (who is on sick leave at the moment) and explained I felt sick and light headed and that the builders advised me to go and she agreed :D Anyway I'm now snuggled up on my couch with a cuppa :sleep:

good girl lol. one good thing come out of that u got a day of work :cheer:

You definatlyu did the best thing. Its not worth the risk.
At least the builder came and told you.
xx

You did the right thing. No point in taking any chances. Sit with your feet up and enjoy your day off. xx

thanks guys :D I'm really enjoying the day off, I had forgotten how great doing nothing is! I'm gonna have a nice nap, flip through my baby name book and go up to the stables early to exericise the horse. Yey :D

Enjoy your day off! I'm with the others - I think you did exactly the right thing.

I would have said that too :) that's nice of them to come and tell you though, a useful helpful builder... in my experience that's a first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back