Struggling with feeding due to blocked nose.

Hazel

Reaction score
Help.

She's been bunged up from when she was born and feeding is really stressful for both of us now. She literally cannot breathe when she has the bottle in her mouth and can only manage 60ml then falls asleep then wakes 2 hours later for another 60ml. As you can guess feeding every 2 hours means I'm knackered. We have to prop her up every night to sleep as she seems unable to sleep lying flat and we can hear the snot so she snorts :( . I've asked HV but she says to just keep feeding little and often. The snot is now a bit bloody as it's been so long but the doctor said it's just inflamed tubes and not to worry. While the tubes are inflamed there is still going to be snot :wall: . Poor little thing is waving her arms around when we're trying to feed and she can't breathe and is hungry so is crying. We've tried banana shaped bottle so she is more upright but doesn't help much :( . I've gone up to the medium flow teats to try to get more down her before she falls asleep which has helped a little.

Any advice please.

Have you tried using a nasal aspirator or saline drops before feeding?

I've tried the drops which just makes the snot wetter and she's cries which produces more snot :wall: It doesn't actually clear it. What's an aspirator?

Ok... an aspirator is a bit grim, but I find it works at least to feed and such like. Its basically a tube that you put up LO's nostril slightly and suck out the contents :puke:

You can get ones that use a bulb thing to do the sucking. But I chose one that I had to do the sucking as you can suck as hard or as lightly as needed then. It has a filter in the collecter so none can go into your mouth!!

This isn't the one we have, but gives you an idea (its one of the bulb ones)
4125F2IefJL._SX315_SY375_.jpg

We got ours from Mothercare, they had a few different types to choose from.

I hope I've explained that well enough?!?

Ours is more similar to this one Click, I can't remember what make, but I think it was £7. If I remember correctly they sell them in our big 24 hour Tescos as well.

I NEED that. Will get DH to get one from Tesco on way home.

Aspirators are great. As said a bit gross to use but do the job. I have one on standby.

snot suckers are :puke: but a life saver- best thing we have bought!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back