*UPDATED PG 1* 34 week scan and other things...

Hello :wave:
Sorry it wasn't the news you were wanting to hear today, but it is great that you are sticking to your guns and playing things by ear! I hope the home birth will go ahead!
I've had a similar meeting today where MW has suggested that I will not be allowed to go over my due date because of baby and mummy biffness.
I am working on a good eviction plan right now! :)

So glad to hear that you have a midwife who is listening to what you want and not dismissing a homebirth just yet for you. Really hope everything goes according to plan for you :hug:

debecca said:
Well :shock:

It will be fun to see who has the biffiest baby. You're clearly having a boy though Sherlock :roll:

Sounds like the home birth isn't completely ruled out and as someone else pointed out you may just have had an early growth spurt? I really hope you can have the homebirth you want as I know it means a lot to you :hug:

Hehe it will :lol: I'm not reading too much into the scan results, but I have to say MW has been saying for weeks now LO is big and its mostly baby I'm carrying. And the tummy size was impressive on screen :roll:

And nope, homebirth is far from ruled out. TBH I'd labour at home as long as possible anyways before going in even if I had planned a hospital birth all along. I don't see any need to get there and then spend hours waiting around for something to happen. If all is well I shall remain at home for as long as possible (or all the way through).

The Doctor said LO would just keep on growing now. He is not expecting Bump to slow down the growth rate. I'm just going to wait and see.

fifi211 said:
So glad to hear that you have a midwife who is listening to what you want and not dismissing a homebirth just yet for you. Really hope everything goes according to plan for you :hug:

The Doctor admitted he had no knowledge of homebirthing etc and could only give us the medical risks as he saw them. TBH I'd been expecting to hear largeish baby and that my BMI was on the higher side. And for what he would then say. Of course a doctor would prefer you in hospital regardless in case medical intervention is needed. He said that. But my thinking is that I'd labour the early stages at home anyways, and its only in the second stage when baby was immenent that I'd be transferring anyways, if planning on being in hospital. So nothing that overly worried me when he said his bit.

And my MW is lovely, she really is. I hope to be able to homebirth but if its not meant to be then ok.

What does BIFF stand for? :?

did ask this in tech etc ages ago but got no reply :(

I'm sure the midwife would tell you if she thought the home birth was a bad idea. Glad you can still go ahead :hug: :hug:

oh hun that is a biffa! :lol: I cant wait to see what mine is estimated at on Wed :rotfl:

I REALLY REALLY hope you get to have a homebirth! One of us has gotta get the birth they want. With regards to your BMI is that before you got pregnant or now? You dont look like you could possibly have a high BMI?! :shock:

Tillytots said:
oh hun that is a biffa! :lol: I cant wait to see what mine is estimated at on Wed :rotfl:

I REALLY REALLY hope you get to have a homebirth! One of us has gotta get the birth they want. With regards to your BMI is that before you got pregnant or now? You dont look like you could possibly have a high BMI?! :shock:

My BMI scraped in at 30 when I found out I was PG. It is now something like 35 apparently. Not even close to 40 and the red danger signs going off. And my weight gain during pregnancy hasn't been massive. Its around 2 stone, a bit more. But I feel great, have been walking lots, eating well and so on and am not worried overly about giving birth to a larger baby.

The thing is, even when I am my normal size my BMI is higher than average :wall: I can be a size 14 and clock in at 25 plus. My being 30ish when becoming PG was mainly because of an achilles heel injury that really restricted my exercise and limited what I could do for about 6 months prior. And I am one of those who only has to look at a lettuce leaf to put on weight.

If I am my normal size even hubby says I look bony (skeletal was his word today). I have a really large frame, my shoulders are broader than hubbys and I carry a lot of muscle also. I kid you not but my arms, legs and shoulders etc are pretty hefty. I'm not a slender tall woman, but really well put together and with a big bone structure. Being slim and having an average BMI is never going to be me :lol: Cripes the size of my hips is insane. I can wear a much smaller wasit but have to have 2 sizes larger in jeans etc due to my hips :roll:

I'm going for my homebirth anyways. Hubby and I are going to keep talking about it, reading up on possible problems that the Doctor was concerned about so we can be informed. I'm even happy to agree to labour at home till the last possible moment (if all is well) and then transfer to hospital for the actual delivery, even if all seems well if there is cause for concern size wise etc. But I ain't running in there early and being stuck there for a long time labouring :shakehead:

hello
my doc said gentically your stature is designed to have a baby of size proportional to you, i am small and my bubs is small but has a rather large head, that worries me, I think you should be ok x

:hug: :hug:
Glad you're feeling ok about it all :)
And fight for your homebirth all the way... you and bubs will be just fine :)

Christina1979 said:

OK paranoia is setting in and Im thinking I may be invisible :( :(

Will someone tell me what BIFF stands for, I know its big baby but dont know exact translation....

:? :? :?

i dont think they're scans are always that accurate becoz i had a scan at 36 weeks and he was weighing in at 5 and a half Ib, but they thought he wouldnt get much bigger becoz i had pre-eclamsia. but then when he was born at 40 weeks he was 8IB 12 :shock:

hope you manage to have your home birth :)

Christina1979 said:
Christina1979 said:

Will someone tell me what BIFF stands for, I know its big baby but dont know exact translation....

:? :? :?

I don't know hun, all I know is it means big :hug: :hug:

Round my way, if some one is ..erm...on the large side, they are called Biffa's? Don't know why? Biff has come from that...we use the term quite a lot in my household...if its any consolation Sherlock, my biff was 6lb at 32 weeks, and 8lb at 36 weeks....i don't even want to know what i is now!!! :shock: :rotfl:

Christina1979 said:
Christina1979 said:

Ooops sorry :hug: Doesn't mean anything other than biff that I know of. So big baby. Its not an acronym afaik :)

Hope that helps :)

AnnaR2B said:
Round my way, if some one is ..erm...on the large side, they are called Biffa's? Don't know why? Biff has come from that...we use the term quite a lot in my household...if its any consolation Sherlock, my biff was 6lb at 32 weeks, and 8lb at 36 weeks....i don't even want to know what i is now!!! :shock: :rotfl:

Hehe hopefully we'll soon find out for you :D

And yeah, biffa is a term for a larger lady. I think biff is rather cute for a possile large baby :lol:

Me too...although it reminds me of the bully in Back to the future.. :rotfl:

ahh you'll be fine if you have the hips hun :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I have really wide hips and a big bottom for such a little person....OH has always said I had child bearing hips...even my Dad said it the same other day :lol:

YAY for biffs! I bet we all have average size babies now :rotfl:

The more I think about it, the less concerned I am by what the Doctor said about why he would advise against homebirth (or attempting homebirth).

My husband pointed out today he had a list of things he had to *not* tick off to recommened for a homebirth. It was a fairly long list listening to the Doc. However, the only thing he could tick (and therefore advise me against a homebirth) was the (possible) size of baby and me. That was one tick in a looooooooooong list. Nothing else factored into it.

If he had found I had gestational diabetes, or my BP was rocketing or I was getting really puffy or something else then I'd be far more concerned and seriously consider hospital from the outset. But as he could not find anything else, I'm worrying less about it.

Also my hubby was not overly impressed with some of the Doctors comments about homebirth MW and Doc etc (Doc said about he could refuse to take me on a patient but MW could not refuse me - this inspired me with confidence in him of course :roll: ) and also his comment about me eating more apples between now and birth time :rotfl: I think though I gave him a bit of a grilling in return and although those comments irked me, I ignored them and focused on what I needed/wanted to know.

He also admitted he had no idea of what homebirth MW's were capable of or how any of the things were done at home, so was not able to consider that side of the coin for me. He was speaking purely as a Doctor from a medical POV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back