ttc personal notes (m/c, low progesterone)

Becs

Reaction score
I started a diary the other day, in which I plan to only record significant news. I thought I would put it here in case anyone with a similar experience finds it useful or informative re- low progesterone.

I have been observing the rocky outcrop that is my basal body temperature chart since last October, and trying to conceive with my beautiful husband since November 06. I never thought I would find myself a year on and still trying to conceive. This diary is for mental escape and self learning. A place to record my thoughts, feelings and physical state for prosperity and development.

So a brief breakdown of events.

We decided to begin trying for a baby on our holiday in the Maldives in November, so in preparation, and true to my usual control freakishness, I studied all I could to improve our chances of conception. I learnt about charting my temps and looking for a thermal shift to indicate ovulation, what sort of cervical fluid is most fertile. I learned to pee on stick to test for the hormone that surges before ovulation, and the hormone that builds when pregnant. I watched and listened to my body and have learned even what my cervix feels like at different stages of my cycle. You could say I am at one with my fertility.

We were delighted beyond belief when we got our positive result with a digital pregnancy test in January after just 3 months of trying to conceive. We dashed to the book department in Selfridges and bought 3 big books on pregnancy and infancy. It was so hard to believe but I kept testing positive and although it seemed unreal as we hadn't seen a doctor yet, we began to indulge in chats about what names we liked and what sort of parents we could be. Each week we studied the pictures and descriptions of how our baby was developing. But sadly at 7 weeks we miscarried. Terribly I began bleeding at a large family gathering and felt the blood drain from my face when I discovered the light bleed on visiting the lavatory. I confided in Mum and Andrew who told me not to worry. I arrived home that afternoon and a couple of hours later went to the lou to discover I was bleeding heavily, as I wiped I was mortified to find the foetal sac sitting there on the paper; 3 dimensional proof of my pregnancy and loss all at once. I shan't try to describe my feelings at that time, this diary is for me and I understand those feelings better without trying to measure them with words. Our marriage was still very new at the time and in hindsight I guess our light magical honeymoon period ended there. But it was replaced with something deeper and more binding. I am immensely proud of how my husband and I pulled together in the face of such a personal tragedy.

We got straight back to business and after the initial frustration of my miscarriage being followed by an anovulatory cycle, we were buoyed up to see in my charts that I was ovulating once more.

After a couple more months studying my charts I began to notice a tendency for big thermal dips in my luteal phase and in some cases very low temps throughout. I looked into possible causes and the more I read the more convinced I became that I have low progesterone. One month I had a positive pregnancy test only to be followed the next day by my period. A chemical pregnancy - such an early miscarriage it doesn't even earn a name that acknowledges it's existence.

A progesterone test is very cheap and straight forward but my doctor was very unwilling as I had 'only' had one miscarriage. Despite the evidence in my charts and other symptoms such as light and irregular periods she only conceded to test when I turned on the waterworks (a low card to play but it was born out of desperation and I am suitably ashamed that my negotiating skills came to tears).
The test came back 2.5 - so low it indicated that I had not ovulated although even my doctor agreed, I clearly had, based on my charts.

When my GP explained that one test didn't mean much I lost patience and booked in with a fertility clinic. Unfortunately in the time between discovering a low progesterone level and managing to get treatment I had a second 'chemical pregnancy'.

But that just about brings me up to today. 13th Sept 2007

I have been prescribed cyclogest, a progesterone pessary that I take twice a day in a very un ladylike manor. Having tried them for the first time last month I am assured of the positive effect they had on my temperatures which looked extremely healthy after ovulation. My 'test run' month also revealed to me that I can expect to need to replace all of my knickers in 2 weeks time and if I am pregnant, will need to factor in a very large underwear bill after I have passed first tri. One sneaky side effect is feeling very pregnant. Very large swollen boobs set in after a couple of days taking these little tricksters closely followed by fatigue, queasiness and general low spirits. And yet I am elated. I feel as though we have a fresh start and have a greater chance of maintaining our next pregnancy. So I am praying for this month, or next month, or the month after that. Things have got exciting again

I started a diary the other day, in which I plan to only record significant news. I thought I would put it here in case anyone with a similar experience finds it useful or informative re- low progesterone.

I have been observing the rocky outcrop that is my basal body temperature chart since last October, and trying to conceive with my beautiful husband since November 06. I never thought I would find myself a year on and still trying to conceive. This diary is for mental escape and self learning. A place to record my thoughts, feelings and physical state for prosperity and development.

We decided to begin trying for a baby on our holiday in the Maldives in November, so in preparation, and true to my usual control freakishness, I studied all I could to improve our chances of conception. I learnt about charting my temps and looking for a thermal shift to indicate ovulation, what sort of cervical fluid is most fertile. I learned to pee on stick to test for the hormone that surges before ovulation, and the hormone that builds when pregnant. I watched and listened to my body and have learned even what my cervix feels like at different stages of my cycle. You could say I am at one with my fertility.

We were delighted beyond belief when we got our positive result with a digital pregnancy test in January after just 3 months of trying to conceive. We dashed to the book department in Selfridges and bought 3 big books on pregnancy and infancy. It was so hard to believe but I kept testing positive and although it seemed unreal as we hadn't seen a doctor yet, we began to indulge in chats about what names we liked and what sort of parents we could be. Each week we studied the pictures and descriptions of how our baby was developing. But sadly at 7 weeks we miscarried. Terribly I began bleeding at a large family gathering and felt the blood drain from my face when I discovered the light bleed on visiting the lavatory. I confided in Mum and Andrew who told me not to worry. I arrived home that afternoon and a couple of hours later went to the lou to discover I was bleeding heavily, as I wiped I was mortified to find the foetal sac sitting there on the paper; 3 dimensional proof of my pregnancy and loss all at once. I shan't try to describe my feelings at that time, this diary is for me and I understand those feelings better without trying to measure them with words. Our marriage was still very new at the time and in hindsight I guess our light magical honeymoon period ended there. But it was replaced with something deeper and more binding. I am immensely proud of how my husband and I pulled together in the face of such a personal tragedy.

We got straight back to business and after the initial frustration of my miscarriage being followed by an anovulatory cycle, we were buoyed up to see in my charts that I was ovulating once more.

After a couple more months studying my charts I began to notice a tendency for big thermal dips in my luteal phase and in some cases very low temps throughout. I looked into possible causes and the more I read the more convinced I became that I have low progesterone. One month I had a positive pregnancy test only to be followed the next day by my period. A chemical pregnancy - such an early miscarriage it doesn't even earn a name that acknowledges it's existence.

A progesterone test is very cheap and straight forward but my doctor was very unwilling as I had 'only' had one miscarriage. Despite the evidence in my charts and other symptoms such as light and irregular periods she only conceded to test when I turned on the waterworks (a low card to play but it was born out of desperation and I am suitably ashamed that my negotiating skills came to tears).
The test came back 2.5 - so low it indicated that I had not ovulated although even my doctor agreed, I clearly had, based on my charts.

When my GP explained that one test didn't mean much I lost patience and booked in with a fertility clinic. Unfortunately in the time between discovering a low progesterone level and managing to get treatment I had a second 'chemical pregnancy'.

I have been prescribed cyclogest, a progesterone pessary that I take twice a day in a very un ladylike manor. Having tried them for the first time last month I am assured of the positive effect they had on my temperatures which looked extremely healthy after ovulation. My 'test run' month also revealed to me that I can expect to need to replace all of my knickers in 2 weeks time and if I am pregnant, will need to factor in a very large underwear bill after I have passed first tri. One sneaky side effect is feeling very pregnant. Very large swollen boobs set in after a couple of days taking these little tricksters closely followed by fatigue, queasiness and general low spirits. And yet I am elated. I feel as though we have a fresh start and have a greater chance of maintaining our next pregnancy. So I am praying for this month, or next month, or the month after that. Things have got exciting again

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: Testing soon hun..come on BFP...

and yes.... I totally understand the whole knicker bill thing... The em... residue from the pesseries is erm... :oops: Quite noticeable .. :puke: :puke: oh yes... and ganky.. Kinda puts you off the doing the business.. :rotfl: Get some panty liners or those super thin pads for light flows... I used them quite successfully. Panty liners you have to change more often.

Loads of the things you mentioned I can totally relate too... especially the really low temps..Keep going and I will be one of the regular visitors to read your diary... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

oh I'm so sorry you had such a loss, and hope you get preg soon :)

(is it true there's no evidence for the theory that low progesterone causes miscarriage, that nhs/mainstream doctors accept? Hence you had to go private to get the pessaries?)

Well I'm sure you'll get there very soon :)

Hi there Becs

Felt compelled to write to you as my story is sooooo similar to yours and I just had to share.
I got married in December 06, and decided to TTC straight away on our honeymoon in the Maldives!!!!

Anyway like you 3 months later was delighted to have a BFP, couldn't believe it! We were so shocked and excited. I had thought that it woudl take so long to get preg - after all the stories you read!

Anyway went to the docs to get it confirmed and mentioned that I had period type pain. Lovely doc - sent me for an early scan - this is when the nightmare started........ to cut an extremely long story short was treated as if it was ectopic because they could never find the baby. My hCG level was so low throughout - rising but very low and my progesterone very very low. Was eventually treated with Methotrexate (a form of chemotherapy) then had to have a laporoscopy because of horrific bleeding and pain. Could not try again for 3 months following this injection.

July went on holiday to Egypt - tried again ! Another BFP!!!!!!!! Same as you however and after many many BFP's - 3 days later I get my period - Doctor confirms via blood test that I have another miscarriage!

I like you have very very low temps - and also like you I am a proffesional fertility expert and know all about open, closed, high, low, up down cervix's, cervical fluid etc etc.

I am convinced that I have low progesterone as well - I am now having s accupun****ure to see if this helps - some say it does?

As you are well aware the good old NHS will not even do a single test untill you have suffered 3 miscarriages which frankly is a joke!

Please please do let me know how you get on !

LOVE LOOOLLOOOO

Gosh Becs, didn't realsie you had been through so much. Your diary so far is really moving.

I'll be reading. good luck xxx

Best of luck this time when you test, Bec!
I haven't forgotten you in my busy crazy hectic past few weeks.
My fingers are still crossed for you!!!

Hope you get your BFP :pray:

Sorry to hear about your losses. Just wanted to say how beautifully written that was :hug: :hug:

Oh Becs you inspire me - if this time around turns out to be another chemical pregnancy I am going to print off your diary and take it with me to the doctors - at my age I suppose I should really get my levels checked anyway.

Keeping everything crossed that you get your BFP this month - it would be lovely to be in the 1st tri with you x x x x

Best of luck, Becs, hope you get the BFP you deserve :hug:

Hey Girls thanks for your support I am really touched, that so many of you actually read all that!

Squiglet -I can't tell you how greatful I was to hear from you on pm before as you are the first person who I have been able to speak to who has had this and your insight was very useful and positive. :hug: to you and bump.

Kaytak I think most GP's will agree that low progesterone will cause problems maintaining a pregnancy but given how common a m/c is the general practice they follow is to ask you to just get on with ttc and they will only run tests after 2 or 3 m/c's.

Loo loo - spooky :shock: thanks for sharing, I hope the acupuncture works out. Let us know how you get on :hug:

Thanks again all of you baby dust to those ttc and :hug: to all who are expeting their little angels

B xxxx

Thans for sharing with us Becs it was written so honestly. I hope all the treatment works out for you.

Becs said:

Dear ladies in TTC,

I wrote the above a while ago and promised to update it when something significant happened. As you may make out from my story above I am a very cautious person, so when I discovered I was pregnant just 5 weeks after writing this I thought I should leave my up-date until I had passed the dangerous first trimester. Well here I am 15 weeks pregnant and still on my long journey to Motherhood. I wanted to up-date this post as I hoped some people may read it and take hope from my story.

I wish you all the very best. I still have some very good friends in here who i am desperate to see celebrating their BFP's, but no matter what your story is or whether I know you or not I understand how frustrating ttc is and am sending some baby dust for all of you. I :pray: that you all get your little beans very soon.

Love Becs xxxxx

Becs you are a wonderful person, thanks for sharing your story :hug:

All the best for the rest of you pregnancy hun, it won't be long now before you writting your birth story :D

Congratulations, I'm so pleased for you. I hadn't read your diary til just now but found it very moving so it was wonderful to read your good news at the bottom.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy is happy and healty :hug:

wishing you a H&H nine months - thanks for shring your story and I am so glad it has a happy ending! x

Thank you for sharing your story, you've really got a way with words.

I've got tears in my eyes reading that.

I'm worried about low progesterone levels myself at the mo, so this really does give me hope that I'll be able to have more children soon.

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy, enjoy every moment, it's an amazing time.

What an inspiring story :) Thank you for posting Becs. I never knew that low LP temps were related to low progesterone levels. Wishing you all the very best for your pregnancy and motherhood :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back