TTC and Over or Under weight?

Pudds86

Reaction score
Hey,

Just a general thread for people who have been told they may have trouble conceiving due to their weight. I am a bit overweight, and although it has not been mentioned by my doctor it is always at the back of my mind. I have read horror stories about women not being able to conceive or going through really bad pregnancies because of it. Also the same for girls who are under weight. Are any of you over or under, and if so what have your experiences been?

I am not letting it bother me too much, I know my family medical history is good, I eat well, and I get plenty of exercise. I carry it well because I am quite tall also and if we can't conceive I will look further into it then. I cant help but worry though!

Also... I have heard it can be difficult to get a scan of the baby too as there is more to go through?! That would be horrifying! Any one had this?

xx

Last edited:
you should be fine unless youe like on them tv programmes big. How long have you been trying for? its normally under weight people who have trouble with consieving as their bodies return to a state like pre publity i used to be really skinny but you wouldnt know to look at me now haha!! I know people that have been 25st and still had kids they found it hard but when she lots more weight and got down to around 17 - 20 she caught really easy but the doc sadi its nothing to do with her weight would normally only effect her if she was like 30st +

I cant give any sound advice as i dont know much about it apart from the under weight bit hope some of this helps

Evie x x x x x x

What's your BMI hun? I'm always the top end of my healthy range - 25 BMI when not pregnant. I have a fat belly from having babies and they've never had bother scanning me :)

my bmi is 29-30 atm it was 30 the other week but im sure i have lost that extra weight now i used to have a low bmi of 18 lol! wish i did now!!! But when i was preg my weight shot up to like 15st and they had no problem scanning me at all x x x

If you are very overweight (as in morbidly obese) i'm sure I read somewhere that you produce more estrogen. I think this can hamper those women who are trying to conceive?

I found this from babyzone.com I think it makes more sense than if I tried to explain!

There are two sources of estrogen in the body: the ovary (directly) and the adrenal gland (indirectly). The ovary estrogen phases—up and down—in what are part of the variations of a normal menstrual cycle. Additionally adrenal glands make something called androstenedione, which is related to cholesterol, and actually even testosterone and progesterone. So it's common that hormones often are converted back and forth. In the case of the adrenal androstenedione, fat cells convert it into estrone—an estrogen.

So, if you're significantly overweight, while your ovaries are trying to behave and cycle normally, the steady input of estrone from this other pathway will interfere. A steady supply of estrogen will blunt the peaks and valleys of the ovary's function, which ultimately interferes with ovulation. Also, all of this estrogen can even lead to precancerous changes in the womb (uterus)—which are usually reversible.

Besides causing increased risk of heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes, obesity can also cause biochemistry to gang up on your chances for decent ovulation.

I'm not a medic or tech for pregnancy USGs but I was dealing with a lot of USG belly exams during my studies (mostly bowels and kidneys and stuff like this). Being overweight is not a problem for USG exam, it might give slightly more noise/static, but overall does not affect it. It might affect for really really fat fatties, in extreme cases, but I have never encountered such problems.

im waiting for the doc to tell me on tuesday that im overweight and need to loose it before ttc, but the way i see it is, my OH have a low count, so how is my weight gonna effect that?

i know im overweight, its called "being comfortable" lol

i like that being confortable lol might tell me doctor next time he talks to me lol x

hahah im not huge to say the least, I would call it cuddly! Lets just say as long as my boobs stick out further than my belly its okay! I cant see my feet, but thats not due to my tummy. lol.

Thanks girls, I think that has helped. We will just wait and see if we can conceive, I think if we try for 6 months (while still exercising etc ) and nothing happens we will look into it in more detail. I have never put on weight or lost any since I was 16, nothing seems to help and I live on fresh veg and fruit. Love it! Metabolism is just stuck. I think even though I am OW, I would give my baby a lovely home for the next 9 months. Plus it will have more protection! lmao.
xx

lol im the same as long as my boobs are bigger than mu tummy lol!!!

I am the same as you, my boobs are bigger than my belly lol And all natural of course pmsl....

I am overweight and was told by my doctor that the reason why I am not concieving could be a factor of being overweight, this was back in March this year....So I went on a deit and lost 4 stone and still not pregnant after 4 year nearly of trying and losing 4 stone of weight lol All doctors have their opionons on these things and majority of the them are right, it's like with everything you do, there's always going to be risk factors and there is in pregnancy if you are either overweight or underweight....

As long as you are eating healthy, getting the right amount of exercise and looking after yourself...Having a stress free life basically then you will be fine.

Good Luck in the furture x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back