TTC @ 40yrs old?

Dearnie

Reaction score
Hi, Is it safe to TTC with my first child at 40yrs old?
I have had 6 misscarriages since i was 27yrs old and i have no children, i have just turned 40yrs old and i have high blood pressure, do i have to give up on my hopes for having a baby now?

with the risks to problems in the pregnancy and the baby because of my age and the high blood pressure?

Need some advice really as when i go to the doctors they dont seem to really be bothered and dont really answer a lot of my questions

Don't see why you shouldn't be able to Dearnie.

I am sorry to hear that you have had so many miscarriages, was this investigated at the time?

My nan had her last at 48! No problems with it either.

Good luck with TTC, you will get a lot of advice on it from the girls here.

And welcome to pf :wave: x

Sorry you've had so many problems.

Plenty of women have babies whilst in various stages of life and health, so I don't see either why you can't.

What about chatting to a nurse? Often they are MUCH more empathic and understand and can arm you with lots of information or put you in touch with local support groups?

Worth a try?

Thanks Princess and Blessing.

Yeah they investigated after the 3rd one but nothing came back wrong, i dont lose them naturally i go for my 12 week scan and there is no heart beat so they have to be taken away in a D/C, which i find difficult dealing with too. iv tried talking to a nurse but all they say is that i should not get pregnant because of my blood pressure and my age

that's a bit short sighted of them to say that. If you get pregnant then they will have to address the issue with your blood pressure.
These days it certainly is not uncommon for ladies to have babies in their forties. Go for it I say and wishing you all the best of luck with it. Also, when you do get pregnant, be sure to make it clear that you've had problems in the past and make sure they take notice of you x

Thankyou princess i thought they were being a bit harsh with me at the doctors also, id better go google help with morning sickness now as i suffer badly from that too, if anyone has any tips for sickness it would be very much appreciated :eek:)

eating a dry cracker or similar when you are actually still in bed is supposed to help, also sickness bands and ginger biscuits - or any ginger product x

hi hun, my aunty had her first and only baby when she was 45 years old, she now has an 11 year old perfectly happy and healthy son! he's just about to join secondary school, i understand it must be hard hun but just passing on that its not impossible xxx

Hi Dearnie and welcome to PF! Sorry for your losses x

There are plenty of ladies here on the forum that are around 40 so I wouldnt worry too much about your age. Im 35 so im not far behind you.

I agree with princess, when you do get pregnant i think you should get them to monitor you alot more especially in the early stages.

Good Luck xxx

Hi Spinney my last 3 pregnancies they kept an eye on me from 4 weeks onwards with internal scans and blood tests, but when it gets near 12 weeks of the pregnancy there is no heartbeat on the scan, the doctors have no explainations for this so im pretty scared but also feel im not complete without becoming a mum :eek:(

I know what you mean all ive ever wanted is to be a mum, i never thought it would be so hard x

Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm 42 and TTC my second, ds1 is 9 I suffered with high bp at 24+ weeks, I say .. Go girl you will get plenty of support here, have you had any management regarding your blood pressure? There are certain tips to lowering if you haven't already tried,
Xx

Also forgot to say really sorry about your losses, I hope that you get your wish one day soon x

I have to agree Spinney its very hard.
Hi Polly and thankyou, i was on ramapril for my blood pressure but they made me ill and i have tried a few more but they all make me ill, im trying to lose weight at weight watchers to see if that helps. my blood pressure is always around 160/105

hey hun, i dont think 40 is too old at all, there are plenty ladies on here who are trying for their first around this age. I myself have had 2 missed miscarrages and have just started investigations. sounds like your Dr should be offering you more than just a "keep an eye on you" treatment plan. there is evidence to show that some women only form clots in the blood while pregnant so test -ve when investigated, my consultant says its now policy to put patients on low dose asprin.

there is also progesterone suppliments and additional blood thinners that you can try. Have you tried anything like this? can you go back to the Dr who done your investigations or ask to be refered to another. Did you have the chromosome testing on babies? and on yourself?

Hope you have some luck soon. xx

Hi nurse, Im sorry you have had problems too, mine were investigated for loads of stuff ater my 3rd like lupus and other stuff, but 2 years ago was my last one and i had read about taking asprin but the doctor said a definate no to me on taking it, he said there was no evidence saying i had a problem with my blood to be able to let me take asprin while pregnant. I personally think he was wrong but i can only really trust in the doctor with medications so i didnt push the subject with him because he was quite adamant. Iv never had a problem getting pregnant its just keeping them, the doctor said on my last if i got to 13 weeks they would put a stitch in my cervix but i dont understand how that would help as the heart beat stops, i dont lose them through my cervix being weak, so pretty confusing really x

hmm, your Dr sounds like a bit of a prat (no offence) i am a nurse and i have to say some Dr's are just a bit set in there ways and unless there LOTS of evidence they will not try new things.

I would ask to be referred to another Dr, with your history i would think they must be able to give you the chance for a second opinion. My Dr says asprin may not help but will not do any harm, i'm still waiting on my results so will take it from there.

lots off ladies have babys a 45+ so deffo nothing wrong with having a little one at 40!

wish you lots off baby dust hun!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back