Trying - Vitamins Question

Helen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I've recently started trying for a baby with my partner. I am very nervous about the prospect as I tried for 18 months with my ex-husband. In the end, our high expectations combined with the enormous disappointment every month brought about the end of our marriage. :(

I've seen a couple of other posts in this forum where people have been trying for a few months without success and are wondering why. I think our sex education has a big part to play here. Everyone has heard about the young girl who only had sex once and got pregnant or someone who forgot one pill and ended up the same way. Having had some time to reflect on the situation since my marriage broke down, I suppose I have concluded that it isn't actually that simple! :?

I've had cause to see the gynaecologist a few times in the last few years who said that they recommend trying for 18 months before you go to see the doc. I don't know about you, but 18 months feels like absolutely ages!! :x

Rant over! :) On to my question...

I know you need to take folic acid, but do you need to take it all the time when you are trying? For example, at the moment it's the time of the month (which probably explains the rant) so is there any benefit to me taking it now and from now up until I am about due to ovulate?

Thanks and good luck to everyone trying

Hi Helen, and welcome to the forum :)

400mg of folic acid should be taken daily whilst trying to conceive, all the way through the month. I know this for sure, because my doctor told me just yesterday! I'm not sure why this is, but I can only presume that it is because it has to build up, and only taking it for half of the month would probably not do that.

I hope this helps - if anyone else has anything to add for Helen, please feel free to join in.

Laura

I think you have to take it right the way through because you never know when you could fall pregnant. The sooner you take Folic Acid the more it will work and it helps the baby to form properly. My doctor told me that in America they put it in the bread so that everyone gets it, we should really do that!

Wow! That sounds a bit big brother to me.

I know that you are meant to take it when you are trying to conceive and for the first 3 months when you are pregnant, but does anyone know what folic acid does for other folks then?

I don't think it really affects other people too much to be honest. Not that I have heard of anyway.

i've got a question about folic acid... i've been taking it now for 3 months. What if i don't get a BFP for another 3 or 6 months what happens to all that folic acid in my body. Can i over dose on the stuff. I mean if my body isn't using it up, where is it going? or is my body just getting rid of it... isn't that a waste. And what happens if it takes a year to get a BFP. I was enjoying not having to remember to take the pill every day.. now i've got to rememeber to take folic acid. I'm too worried to stop taking i in case I get my BFP...

Hello Ladys,
I was just in you same shoe's like you are I was trying for 2 years to get PG but no luck did not understand I just thouhgt I couldn't get PG.So my husband said maybe you are not eating right and I said I and eating right...so I started takeing some prenatal Vitamins Because first of all I have never took any Vitamins at all while trying to get PG....I started takeing the prenatal Vitamins I was on day 17 of takeing the prenatal Vitamins and I missed my perid..I started feeling very sick in the morning and then in in the after noon and then at night and now it is every day......
I found out I was PG 2 days after I missed my PERID....so ladys never gave up if you have any questions just email me or chat with me online on aol,msn,yahoo.. ok tell later baby dust to everyone

beth :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back