Trying to agree on a wee name list with Hubster

Alexis2017

Reaction score
I know it's early days but we have decided to try make a list of names seeing as we never agree on things like this. We wanted Scottish names but we can't agree on any

After 2 days this is what we have agreed on

BOY
Theodore--known as theo
Mylo
Otis

GIRL
Francesca - known as Frankie
Felicity
Pixie-both agree it's prob not great for an adult

This is what we didn't agree on (names that I would like to add on but he doesn't

BOY
Otto
Felix

GIRL
Astrid
Morvan
Skye
Paisley
Ellis
Maisie

I feel sad as really only name we agreed on is Theodore and Frankie.. I do like Theodore with Theo being what we woukd call him but hugely sure on Frankie, I really like more quirky names!

Anyone any thoughts? What names have you picked out? Does anyone feel like the other half will never agree with you!!?

Ugh tell me about it!

When I was newly pregnant with DD, we both quickly loved Sienna. I had started calling her that already, made examples of birth announcements with that name, previewed M&Ms, etc...
Then 2 months later the OH wanted to change her name. I didn't understand why, I couldn't just change her name like that! He wanted to name her Cecilia, because he liked the nickname Cece from the series New Girl. I got really annoyed! Not only is it an old fashioned name but it just came out of nowhere! When I was 7 months pregnant, I just cut the cord and told him I had ordered the gift boxes with the name Sienna on it. But I was willing to compromise and told him he could give that as a second name. In the end, he ditched Cecilia and when we told the family, they were glad we didn't call her that.

Now, as we are expecting another girl... He has been stuck onthe name CELIA and shoots down any suggestions I make. I have tried Theia, Dahlia, Lara, Sia, Thalia and many others but he's fixated on Celia and it's driving me crazy!

I like Theo and Ellis actually, Felix too!
Maybe you could just wait until the baby is born and then decide on a name?
It's so hard isn't it!!
Good luck hun!x

I absolutely love Theo and Mylo. Not keen on Otis but obviously that is just my opinion.

My favourite girls name from your list are: Skye, Paisley and Maisie.
Maisie is In fact on my list of girls name but my OH doesn’t like it.

Men are so annoying when it comes to picking names they actually have no idea. My OH has always said he would like to call our little girl (if we ever have one), wait for it....... Mary!!!
What the actual fuck. That is like a great nan’s name not a baby hahaha. I shut him down straight away!! Xx

@chattychar1990 My SIL just had a baby named Mary :rotfl:

@Alexis2017 My hubby never agreed on anything. I suggested Winter when I was like 5 weeks and he loved it and refused to listen to any other girl names. I also loved Hazel and Poppy. For boy names I loved Arthur and Fletcher but he hated everything except stupid shit like Saturn and Frost. Lucky we had a girl so we didn't have to keep arguing over it haha.

From your list I like Skye best for a girl and Felix for a boy. Theo is nice but sooo common now. Fwiw I think Pixie works as an adult name. You hear much weirder than that these days!

Picking a name is so hard! Me and my husband generally agree on most things but it took us forever to agree on a name shortlist. We had the added challenge of not knowing the gender so had to prepare for both!

We didn't make a final decision until little man actually arrived and had it down to 3 boy names and 2 girl names. So if you have 3 of each you both agree on already, you're doing well I'd say!

A few factors that were important to us was a name that was fairly short and not too many syllables. We also preferred a more common spelling. A lot of that was thinking ahead to when he would be learning to write and spell his own name.

As our surname can be a first name, I really didn't want a first name that could be a surname. That was much more of an issue for boys names.

I like Theodore and also shortened to Theo but I wouldn't have chosen it as around here it's a very popular choice. So much so that he probably would have been one of three or four Theos in his class. Wanted to avoid that if possible. Just thought that was worth mentioning if you prefer quirky names. Name popularity varies hugely between areas though.

Also as you've actually got a good selection you agree on, I'd ditch any you don't unless you're really passionate about a particular name. Obviously baby only needs one name (apart from middle names if you choose to) so it's not worth the argument with your OH as of course it's important to both of you.

Hope that helps!

Men are so annoying when it comes to picking names they actually have no idea. My OH has always said he would like to call our little girl (if we ever have one), wait for it....... Mary!!!
What the actual fuck. That is like a great nan’s name not a baby hahaha. I shut him down straight away!! Xx
:rofl::rofl::rofl: This made me laugh!

@WinterWolf My ex also wanted weird ass names for our babies, he wanted the name Warrior or Guerrero if it was a boy and Sorrow or Charisma if it was a girl or something. Yuck. I never had kids with him luckily!:lol: Hey Sorrow, why the sad face? Guerrero, please clean up your room, it's a war zone in there... Ugh hahahaha!

Thankfully OH and I had a fairly easy time choosing a name for both a boy and a girl. We only really liked Saul and Eden so it made life very simple lol I like Ellis for a girl and although I do like Theo for a boy I would warn you since you seem to prefer quirky names, going by your other choices, it is extremely common ! We have 6 Theo's in the daycare I work in lol

@Kitana Oh my goodness those names make Frost sound good!! I taught a boy named Tenacious once, that's the worst I've ever come across.

@Kitana Oh my goodness those names make Frost sound good!! I taught a boy named Tenacious once, that's the worst I've ever come across.
Omg... How did that ever get approved?!
Poor child! My ex had a colleague once whose name was Frank and her name was Francine, they loved the name Romeo but wanted the child's name to start with an F as well, so they named him..... Fromeo.... Yes. Fromeo.
I once had a girl in my school called Cuyapie (pronounced Kuyapee) but as I went to a French school, Cuy sounded like "bollocks" Apie sounded like "with udders"... She got teased because her name literally meant, balls-with-udders... I don't know how you can do that to your child!?

Omg... How did that ever get approved?!
Poor child! My ex had a colleague once whose name was Frank and her name was Francine, they loved the name Romeo but wanted the child's name to start with an F as well, so they named him..... Fromeo.... Yes. Fromeo.
I once had a girl in my school called Cuyapie (pronounced Kuyapee) but as I went to a French school, Cuy sounded like "bollocks" Apie sounded like "with udders"... She got teased because her name literally meant, balls-with-udders... I don't know how you can do that to your child!?

Omg I'm dying at Fromeo :rotfl:

Poor Cuyapie, that's an awful name without the horrible french translation! You've got to wonder if some people are better off not having kids :?

I have Maisie, Charlie and Zackary. The twins are possibly going to be Theodore and Oscar. Or merlin and Arthur if my oh gets his way !

My dh likes... William Robert so that he can shorten it to Billy Bob!!!

Can you imagine?!?! Poor child!!!

Absolutely love Mylo. Myles was top of my list but a friend has just called her son it. We would have used Mylo. I really like Felcilty too. Elegant!

We’re really struggling to agree on names too. I love Pearl but hubby hates it. He like Autumn. When we had our son we had agreed on Bonnie for a girl. Hubs still likes it but I’m just not sure. I’ve tentatively added Violet to our list.

For boys I’m not in love with any name as yet although Oscar and Zachary are on my list. Hubby likes Max.

Thabks for all the replies! I have kinda went off Theo as it does seem to be more common now.

We have agreed on Felicity for a girl and Felix for a boy but back ups are Theodore (Theo) and Frankie (francesca on birth cert) so far unless we can agree on anything else. Husband is a nightmare and likes really common old fashioned names that arent my thing at all so I feel I have been lucky to get him to agree on Felix and Felicity!

I can pick the middle names so still working on that one

Theo / Thea is top of my list at the moment.
Other than that we can’t really agree. I like Liam, oh likes max, but we have vetoed each other’s choices!
My ds is Zachary (Zach) luckily we agreed that one immediately. It had been my boys name since I was a teenager so was lucky oh loved it too.
We also love the name Zoscia, after my great aunt, but not sure about having 2 beginning with Z.

Go to...

Names.darkgreener.com

...if you guys want to see how popular a name is in England and Wales :) They update it every year with the ONS statistics. A great resource for names!

BehindTheName is another really good website for accurate name meanings. I wouldn’t trust any other site. Not even Nameberry and I used to work there, haha.

Go to...

Names.darkgreener.com

...if you guys want to see how popular a name is in England and Wales :) They update it every year with the ONS statistics. A great resource for names!

BehindTheName is another really good website for accurate name meanings. I wouldn’t trust any other site. Not even Nameberry and I used to work there, haha.
I'm in scotland but will check it out!

Hi! I’ve used an app called Kinder with my hubby. You can filter the types of names you like and then you both swipe (like you would on Tinder so I’ve been told) left or right to confirm if you like a name or not. You and your OH do it separately on your phones and then if you get a match it tells you. If not you can look through your liked list and talk about it with him. This is how me and my hubby found our names for our baby. Turns out we had both chosen a girls name but just with different spellings so we hadn’t matched but we matched a boys name. Haha.

Good luck - it’s very hard! Haha x

I'm in scotland but will check it out!

I remembered this as I wrote the post but figured it wouldn’t be massively far off :) Except for some very Scottish names like Eilidh etc I suppose :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back