Travelling to very hot weather, worried! Advice please.

KJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got to go on a conference with work this sunday to Germany for 4 days. The weather forecast is predicting temperatures of 37 degrees C!

I don't cope with hot weather at the best of times and I know that we are advised to stay out of jacuzzis, etc due to the risk of high blood pressure affecting the baby. Do you think being in this kind of heat for 4 days would cause any problems for the pregnancy?

I'd hate for anything to go wrong at this stage and am perfectly prepared to pull out of the trip if it is in my baby's best interests.

Anyone got any experience or advice?

K.xxxxxxxx

You can travel????? :shock: I wouldn't suggest going mainly because you are 31 weeks...Technically no airline and very few ships would allow you to travel now. Also if you are travelling by car, you can't sit in one position for long periods of time due to the risk of DVT and your back.

It's hot on the continent atm...As long as you walk around with a water bottle attached to your hip, you should be ok keeping hydrated...but the hot weather might make you feel tired and queezy... Whether the places you will be going are airconditioned is very important too. It will be awful being trapped in a hot room with lots of other people.

If I was you..I personally wouldn't go...only because I would feel that I was too far advanced to take the risk of travel and prem labour...but I don't think the heat will be a danger for you. :hug: You'll make the right decision for you and your LO I am sure. :hug:

thanks Squiglet,

I guess you have to deal with this all the time living abroad. Everywhere I will be going is air conditioned, so most of the time I should be coolish.

I'm not worried about flying, it's ok up to 34 weeks as long as you have a letter from your GP. Mine sees no reason why I can't fly, especially as it's a short flight. I'm seeing her tomorrow, and if she checks me over and says I'm ok, then i'll probably go.

I was just worried about the heat affecting my baby.

K.xxx

Gosh I agree, I'm surprised the airlines will take you at 31 weeks even with a doctors letter, most won't after 28 weeks letter or not. Your very lucky, have you checked it will be ok to fly home since you'll then be 32/33 weeks? Anyway heat wise you'll be fine the plane/hotel etc will have air conditioning and just think about the women who live in hot countries that have babies all year round in the heat...they are just fine! Try to keep cool, don't sunbathe and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd be more worried about making that journey at 31 weeks to be honest!

You will be fine in the heat i went to Egypt and flew back when i was 2 days under 28 weeks i got questioned on the way back in Egypt and they told me i couldn't fly unless i had a check up... no way i was letting them loose near my bump, in the end they let me come back did worry me though!

Heat wise i had to deal with how hot it was out there normally 37c each day but got to 45c one day and i found it ok as long as you drink plenty and stay cool if you will be in the air con you will be fine....

I asked my MW before i went and she said it's fine up to about 28-30 weeks but if you fly when your about 34 weeks your waters may pop... don't know how try that is but thats what she said to me.

Have a great time if you go :hug:

which airline r you going with because i have just looked and alot say no way after 28 weeks, i would like to have risked it at 31/32 weeks :think:

airlines shouldnt take you after 28wks even with a GP's letter. You wont get travel insurance yourself and you also wont be covered by the airlines insurance.

The heat shouldn't be a problem - the travel will be tho!! I'm surprised your work are asking you to go!

I'm flying with British Airways and this is what they say...

"Travelling when pregnant
Pregnancy is not considered a medical condition, so you are able to travel until quite late into your pregnancy. Please note that:

You can travel up to 36 weeks for single pregnancies and 32 weeks for twins, triplets etc.
You will need to carry a doctor's certificate after 28 weeks confirming the estimated date of delivery, that there are no complications that you are fit to fly. "

There is no reason why I can't fly providing I've had a healthy pregnancy so far, which I have. I haven't heard of airlines refusing to take people after 28 weeks before. I kind of have to go, so please don't scare me abotu flying!! I worry enough as it is. I think the only risk is that you're more prone to deep vein thrombosis when pregnant. But on a short flight if I move lots and wear flights socks I should be fine.

xx

i dont think anyone was trying to scare u hun, we were just giving our oppinion on how we would feel in your situation :hug:

I know you defo cant fly long distance (more than 4hrs) over 28wks (even with BA) as I couldnt go to a family funeral when I was preg.

We dont want to worry you but I hinestly have never heard of anyone being able to fly after the 28wk mark.

I was in Serbia while it was over 35 degrees and I was fine. Just drink plenty of water and eat smaller meals (a lot of salad and fruit). To be honest, I find it more difficult to deal with this humidity in Cheltenham (although temperatures are under 25 degrees) than with heat!?
As to flying, I flew with when I was 29 weeks pregnant and it was fine. I had a letter from my GP but nobody asked me anything. Again, just drink a lot of water, wear flying socks and try to move every now and then. When I think about it now, I had more problems with people pushing me at Heathrow than on the plane.
Anyway, have a nice flught! :wave:

Why do you "have" to go?
Its your companies responsibility to reduce or eliminate any risks to you and the baby. I'd have thought this is classed as a risk.
My work insisted io took the lift when i went to the 2nd floor! They didnt want me going up the stairs!!

BEX101 said:
Why do you "have" to go? Its your companies responsibility to reduce or eliminate any risks to you and the baby

I wondered that too.
Honestly not trying to scare as Sarah said but people just generally don't fly after 28 weeks, your baby is far more important than some work conference etc.

Im also thinking why are they sending you? is there no one else whos capablew of doing it?
Were not wrapping you up in cotton wall but you are late pregnancy and you never know whether your contractions could start up on the plane.Unlikely yes, but you never know

i'm due to fly to italy in a couple of weeks time i will be 31 weeks going and 33 coming back - airline/docs and mw all think it is fine - i will be staying in aircon accommodation and intend to have the most relaxing 2 weeks of my life before bubs arrives - when i asked mw she said quite a few people she has been mw for do take a holiday before baby - btw i did get medical insureance - cant remember which company but if anyone wants to know pm me and i will give you the details

i wouldnt go.. weather your demed fit to go..

the baby will come when its ready and what if he/she decided to come whilst you was away or worse still up in the air.. nothing will stop it from happening.. thats one of the reasons companys wont take you!

nothing will stop nature from hapening.. if i was you i would tell your work you cant go for the health and saftery of you and your baby

not trying to scare you, but from someone who has prem babys just telling you what could happen thats all

Flying does not affect pregnancy at all. There has never been any research conducted that has found this. It is perfectly safe to fly even at term. (provided you can fit in th seat :D ) The only reason why you can't fly at term is owing to the individual airline's policy on the gestational cut off which has more to do with their insurance than your health! The reason airlines have a cut off date for flying when pregnant is because they want to avoid the possibility of women going into labour or giving birth mid air as they do not have trained medical staff and equipment to deal with this and would have to make and emergency landing - can you imagine??? Yes some babies come early, yes some women have sudden rapid onset medical problems when pregnant but the vast majority do not. What the airline has weighed up is the likelihood of this happening statistically and have stipulated a cut off according to this measured risk and insurance costs should this happen (not just to yourself and your baby, they have a duty of care to you if they decide to fly you, but also all the compensation they would have to pay the other passengers should an emergency landing have to be made and the destinantion not reached on time)

If BA are happy to take you, you should be happy to fly provided you have no health issues and your doctor will confirm this. People get run over crossing the road and drop down dead in the street with heart attacks will that stop you going out in the street? Don't listen to the scare mongers, have a nice trip and enjoy Germany - the flight is only about 1 hour and a half (the time it takes some women living in the welsh mountains to get to their nearest hospital) so you will be absolutely fine. Just drink lots of water and exersice your legs somehow - just like any non-pregnant flyer.

Whilst abroad stay in air con as much as you can, drink loads and don't stand on your feet too long! Pregnancy is a state of being for most women not an illness and you are not an invalid. It is 34 degrees today here in Bulgaria and we have had many days at 40 degrees - it is HOT and hell! but you will not have to endure it for long and no the heat will not affect your baby only you might be a bit sick and tired of it - everything is hard work in the heat but you will manage.

As to insurance carry with you your E111 card - Germany is an EU member state afterall and has a duty to treat you - better care than the UK too I might add. Have fun and let us know how it all went :D

I have been worried about a lot of mis-information on this site. I know people are only trying to support you but sometimes you need proper professional advice. Opinions are opinions and as such have to be treated with scepticism much of the time. If you are still unsure or unhappy talk to your doctor your midwife, the airline, the insurance companies and value their advice more than other peoples irrational fears. Sorry not wanting to upset anyone.

I too am travelling by plane on Monday 32 weeks gestation and my flight is 4 hours long. My airline is Wizz Air, They cut off at 34 weeks. Very few babies come before 34 weeks. My last came at 36 weeks and I am not worried.

i went to gran canaria when i was 9 weeks.. and on the way back i suffored terribly with the pressure my hand swelled and feet, also had major scinus pain, felt like my eye ball was gonna pop out! honestly!! when i got of the plane my friend looked at me and omg.. ru ok.. i had bruises all around my eyes as if i had been straining being sick - although i had been sick it wasnt that bad and i was straining. and the bruising was right around my eyes. personally i said then im never gonna fly pregnant again.. then forgot we are going to disney land paris for charlottes 4th birthday in october when i will be 25 weeks - im dreading it

obviously we will go but i mean if my hands and feet can swell that much what will my womb be doing? its pretty scary to be honest..if i was over 28 weeks i wouldnt be going, but that is my personal choice. if work were asking me to go i would tell them no presonally..pregnant women suffor in heat and flying even for an hour and a half in the same possition is very uncomfortable.

thanks for all your replies everyone.

I have just seen my doctor this morning, had the full antenatal check-up. Everything is still perfect as it has been all the way through so she has written me a letter saying I am safe to fly. I am still a long way from the BA cut-off of 36 weeks and I am confident that flying will be fine. It is a short flight and even if I did go into labour (which is highly unlikely), I probably wouldn't even be 2cm dilated by the time we landed!

Still not impressed by the temperatures in Germany next week but every medical professional I've spoken to is not in the slightest bit worried about me flying at this stage.

So unless anything happens between now and sunday I will be going. I know a lot of you wouldn't if you were in my situation and I respect that. But I've kept myself pretty fit throughout the pregnancy and don't suffer from SPD or anything like that. I'm pretty mobile and can manage the flight. I'm just going to take lots of cushions, water and make sure I move around a lot.

K.xxx

oh, and I flew to scotland and back at 11 weeks and had no problems whatsoever. I'm travelling with a lot of men, so will make sure they carry all my bags for me!

K.xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back