diarrhea... hot weather??

laracomps

Reaction score
Phoebe has had diarrhea a few times in the past 10 days and in between has been runnier than normal - we've had a lot of leaks :shock:

just had another today like water and it stunk :puke: so rang HV and she reckons its just the hot weather... does this sound right?

i asked if i should give her water, her answer was yes definitely (she's now formula fed). So i told her she just spits it out when ever I try - her response 'she'd drink it if she was thirsty.'

i'm so worried about her getting dehydrated :( should i offer her a tiny bit of juice (diluted even more than it comes)? She's 15 weeks, but juice says from 4 months. Don't even know if she'd drink that!

(sorry about lack of caps, feeding at same time!!)

Angel has been similar. Not so bad today as she's not been as hot, but yesterday she just didn't stop pooing!
I've tried giving her water but she won't take it either.
I'm not sure about juice though, i never even thought about it.
Must be hot weather though coz i have got through so many nappies past few days!

When Ella had really runny poos a couple of months ago I was told that hot weather should make them more solid by my HV! Although she was useless! With Ella it was the formula that she was on that was causing it, when I changed her she went to normal in 2 days and has been fine ever since (so poss something to consider). Ella hates water too, but she will drink it at times, so I think that they do drink it if they are really thirsty, I would just keep offering it. I personally wouldn't give juice in your situation as they tell you to give it when babies are constipated, so it may make things worse!

Thanks girls.

My HV is also useless, hence why I am double checking on here :wink:

I'm gonna give it a few days, and also get her weighed on Weds and assess the situation.

If it continues, do you think its worthy of a Doctors trip?

She's already on Aptamil Easy Digest, she's been on that since about 6-7 weeks due to really bad colic, its only thing that sorted her out. She's having a lot more now, as I mixed fed until she was 12 weeks. Dunno what I would change it to if it was that!

Thanks for the heads up on juice! Don't want to make things worse at all. I 'think' she took a small amount earlier, maybe 0.5oz which is an improvement!

I've noticed more & runnier poos from Elizabeth seem to coincide with the hot weather too (just what you need with a hot grumpy baby anyway...) but I wasn't sure if it was because she seems to take more water/juice over her food during hot spells. See what happens at the weigh in, hope all is ok. xcxcx

I thought giving water was supposed to help constipation - but i'm not sure.

Faith's poos were awfully runny but that was due to lactose intolerance. She started on C&G normal, then went o the easy digest and we still had the same prob, now she is on soya milk and all is well!

If she is still bad then keep trying with the water, may be worth mentioning it to someone xxx

Probably not much help either but that's exactly how Becky was on C&G comfort (and I understand Aptamil easy digest is pretty similar). Admittedly she was on it for less than a week but I couldn't take her being so uncomfortable with constant runs and having to be changed about 10 times a day. Her bum is still red from it. She was fine when we put her back on the SMA.

Though if she's been fine on it until now it's hard to know! If you're worried, though, a trip to the GP couldn't hurt :hug: :hug:

Well the hot weather in the UK is nothing compared to the hot weather here in Spain and I've never heard of hot weather causing diarrhoea... lil miss hasn't had it... neither did Tia... nor I... If anything hot weather should make you more constipated as you are less hydrated.... Although in the heat any type of diarrhoea should be treated with the up most caution because they are at a higher risk of dehydration...

Thanks all for your replies, you guys are so helpful, dunno what I'd do without the forum sometimes!

RE: giving her water - I was advised to give her water to try and keep her hydrated.

Today her poo seems to be back to normal (isn't it funny how many converstations about poo you have once you have a child?! :oops: ) Problem is, it went back to normal a few times last week as well.

The frequency hasn't changed at all, she only goes once or twice a day, which is why HV thinks it isn't an infection, but in ten days, I'd say eight of those she's had either a lot looser poo, and 3-4 times proper diarrhea.

I just don't know what to think. Will keep an eye on it, if it reverts back I might take her to the docs - I just hate them making you feel like you are wasting their time if its nothing :roll:

Another HV last week said that she was def teething, so could it be that? I know there is loads of mixed info about teething and the poos.

Having a baby is a lot more confusing than I thought it would be!

This is almost identical to Sam. Last Sunday week he started having diahrroea - really explosive and liquid, no vomitting though. We too had to odd day when he didn't have it and his poo was just sticky like usual. It peeked on Friday when he filled 3 nappies in the space of 2 hours. We took him to A&E to ensure he wasn't dehydrated as there was so much coming out of him. They kept us in overnight to be on the safe side. Typically the runs stopped while in hospital and over the weekend. But it's come back again Monday.

Suzie has mentioned lactose intolerance - we are going to give it a few more days and if it continues will try colief.

Just wanted to say I know how you feel. Hope your little one improves.

Lisa xxx

Lisamj said:
This is almost identical to Sam. Last Sunday week he started having diahrroea - really explosive and liquid, no vomitting though. We too had to odd day when he didn't have it and his poo was just sticky like usual. It peeked on Friday when he filled 3 nappies in the space of 2 hours. We took him to A&E to ensure he wasn't dehydrated as there was so much coming out of him. They kept us in overnight to be on the safe side. Typically the runs stopped while in hospital and over the weekend. But it's come back again Monday.

Suzie has mentioned lactose intolerance - we are going to give it a few more days and if it continues will try colief.

Just wanted to say I know how you feel. Hope your little one improves.

Lisa xxx

Thanks Lisa. We have always suspected that she was lactose intolerant, but no one would listen as she was not losing weight. This is when we changed her to Easy Digest milk as it has a lot less lactose in. 5 days later it was like someone had flipped a switch. Perhaps it is a problem with the milk, as she is now having more, but who knows?

I have had an awful sickness bug today. I would say that she's had that but to be honest, it wouldn't last for over 10 days surely? She hasn't been sick either.

She had looser stools today again, but not diarrhea. I couldn't bloody get her weighed either as I have been so ill myself. If its still like it in a few days I think I'm going to take her to the docs, poo that flies out of the nappy in all directions is not normal as far as I am aware.

Hope your LO improves as well :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back