Top Tips for New Parents

Absolutely agree about the photos!! I've been taking at least one every day and compiling them in a folder - I intend to take one every day for one year - just to see how much he changes! xx

Have absolutely no 'expectations' of your newborn, i.e don't expect them to have a routine for a while. Newborns have no rhyme of reason to them at first so just chill out, go with the flow and ENJOY the cuddly months!! They really do change before your eyes too and you can't get that time back so enjoy them each day!

Don't feel bad about saying no to visitors!!! I wish I had because they caused me so much stress in the early days!

I totes agree!! It was so hard to sleep when people were here all the time, it felt like we had to entertain them and we didn't have much time to adjust and settle. Unfortunately the visitors we had just wanted to cuddle T instead oh offering to help with housework or offering to bring groceries, next time they'll be given a job!

Make time to eat /shower and don't feel guilty about letting oh take over changes/feeds while you do so!!!

Don't feel bad about saying no to visitors!!! I wish I had because they caused me so much stress in the early days!

I totes agree!! It was so hard to sleep when people were here all the time, it felt like we had to entertain them and we didn't have much time to adjust and settle. Unfortunately the visitors we had just wanted to cuddle T instead oh offering to help with housework or offering to bring groceries, next time they'll be given a job!

Totally agree! I got very annoyed when people wanted to come round as it would always be after work at around 6/7 when I'd be totally exhausted! I actually resented it when people would text asking to come round - even though they just wanted to come and share the love. Though once some colleagues were due at 6.30 and text me at 8 saying they were just leaving the office, I had no issues telling them where to go then.

My one and only would be to simply enjoy every second as its over in a flash. I loved the magical new born days where I was just in awe of what we had made~our beautiful little princess. Im also a picture addict. So much so that our girl is now a poser at 9mths and gets so excited when she sess a camera.

tapatalking

Don't get caught up in the "baby race" just cause your friends baby is already smiling and yours isnt doesn't mean they wont, every baby does things at their own pace.

In the early weeks dont clock watch especially at night, newborns dont know the difference between 4am and 4pm

And most importantly dont wish their lives away they are tiny for such a short time, I am guilty of this as I am always saying I cant wait for him to smile, roll, walk talk etc ...

Loads of great things suggested already!

Take loads of photos!! I have got loads and was looking at them today and wondering where the past 7 months have gone?! Time flys so enjoy it and get as much if them as you can.
Cuddle them hold them let them sleep on you. M won't fall asleep on my anymore I miss this so badly as it was a great way for me to just hold her without anyone disturbing us :)

Sleep when you can and stay in your pjs for as long as you want to! There was times oh came in from work at lunch and I'd be walking around in my pjs.

And just enjoy being a mummy :) x

Mines is do not panic or feel bad if you don't know why the baby is crying or what's wrong with it.

When I was pregnant people always said to me 'oh you'll just know what to do '

So when I didn't, I felt awful and felt like I couldn't ask for help

Spencer David Wilcockson 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

Enjoy them cuddling and sleeping on you - time will come all too soon when they won't do that anymore and you'll miss it. They're this small for such a small period of time - don't spend it worrying! Totally agree with the ladies saying you can't spoil them, cuddle away, and trust your own instincts rather than everything any midwife or health visitor tells you - their advice varies depending on who you talk to and what they think. And my final one that I'm sticking to - don't answer the door if you're not expecting anyone, I'm sick of people thinking it's cool to just land on us.

don't listen to all the advice people give you (including midwives etc), go with your instinct otherwise you'll end running round in circles!

This is so true. A mum really knows best x

Baby is full on screaming/crying.

Are they -
Hungry? No
Wet? No
Tired? No
Bored? No (if a toy doesn't distract them, they're not bored)

Panic! Is there something seriously wrong?
Is baby -
Obviously hurt? No
Hot or cold? No
Rigid or floppy? No

(All this takes less than a minute to check)

There's nothing wrong with your baby. Sometimes, they just cry. Cuddle them, sing to them, and let them get on with it.

You don't know what the heck you're doing with your baby?
Neither did anyone else, don't worry about it. Just do whatever you want.

Set a routine when you feel the time is right to start one, following your baby's cues, not because great Aunt Sally's nephews wife's sisters best friend had her baby in a routine at two weeks.

Ask for help.
Phone a friend who's parenting you look up to.
Phone the midwife/health visitor/doctor/NHS helpline every five minutes, if that's what you want to do.

Never google anything you think might be wrong with your baby, phone as above, or ask on here.
If you spot something odd (funny spot/rash/mark/poo/whatever), photograph it immediately. If it gets worse/changes and you end up at the doctors, you have the easiest way of saying "this is what it looked like when I first noticed it yesterday, this is what it looked like last night, and this is what it looks like now.

Don't buy in to all the toy gimmicks that your baby "simply must have straight away!!!". For at LEAST the first month, your baby wants to look at your face and the immediate area. They are in no way aware of the fact they have hands, much less how to use them, until three months+, and so rattles etc before then are next to useless. Even things like bouncy chairs are more or less pointless until a few months in.

Ultimately: do what you think is best at that moment, and enjoy every second. Xx

Baby is full on screaming/crying.

Are they -
Hungry? No
Wet? No
Tired? No
Bored? No (if a toy doesn't distract them, they're not bored)

Panic! Is there something seriously wrong?
Is baby -
Obviously hurt? No
Hot or cold? No
Rigid or floppy? No

(All this takes less than a minute to check)

This is brilliant! Thank you! I would add to this list - Do they need burping?
The tip about photographing the rash, etc is a great idea and one I had never thought of. xx

My key thing that got me through was be organised. It's hard when it's early days but the earlier you get into it the better. I would always keep a bag packed with change of clothes, nappies and wipes incase we had to nip out quickly.

For feeding and changing I would change, feed then when he slept quickly go round tidy up what I'd left then set up for the next round so that when baby sleeps you can chill because if baby wakes you already have your things set up.

Always go with your own instinct as some have said, HV usually know bugger all about LO, you know him/her best.

Don't be scared to ask OH/family for a hand! I don't think I would have even ate or slept had it not been for my OH cooking my dinner and doing the house, making sure I went for bath lmao. My mum was great she used to take Jackson in the living room and let me sleep. Even helping out with baby, some people feel they need to do everything on their own, don't be scared to share the load.

And just.. Go with the flow, and enjoy!

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
don't listen to all the advice people give you (including midwives etc), go with your instinct otherwise you'll end running round in circles!

this exactly! every baby is different and every mum is different, trust you're instincts they're there for a reason and do what's best for you and your baby no matter what anyone else wants or says and don't feel guilty about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back