Any tips for increasing milk supply?

Becs

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been running low on breast milk in the late afternoon evening and have been having to top Austin up with EBM from the morning after his 6pm feed or he won't sleep 7pm - 10pm, finishes feeding and then just lies awake until his next feed.

I am already expressing twice in the morning and can't do anymore as would not have enough for those feeds as well.

Does anyone have tips on what I could be eating or any other ideas? I have a homeopathis remedy which I am trying and special tea from germany which is supposed to help but I still don't seemt o be producing enough. Very keen to fix this as going to formula really isn't an option yet - Austin is still only 6Ibs 6.

Eating oats is supposed to increase milk supply too, something like flapjacks would be good, as well as drinking plenty of water and taking fenugreek. But like midna said, the best way to build up your supply is just to let him feed as often as you can (and try having more skin to skin time with him too) - the more he takes, the more your body will make.

Hey Becs,

I'm so glad to hear Austin is thriving (if still a tiny wee one!), I'd love to see some pics of him sometime.

I would definitely advise a couple of days in bed, you and him, lots of skin to skin contact and just let him feed for as long and as often as he needs. This will really help. I also have some special Hungarian breastfeeding tea that Melanie sent me spare, would you like me to send you a box? I'd happily do this for you.

I'm so impressed that you have managed to breastfeed such an early baby and deal well with him latching on etc - well done sweetheart.

Please let us know how you get on.

Valentine Xxx

midna said:
Your body works on demand ..you shouldnt have to express ...if hes going through a spurt its a matter of swapping sides untill hes satisfied that way it will build your supply too. I would say spend lots of time in bed feeding him at spurts especially. You could try fenugreek ...I feed a heffa of a baby and at those times it was a matter of keeping swapping sides till satisfied...Im pretty much still exclusivly feeding and we dont have the fuss anymore as she dosnt spurt as such ..but my body keeps up with her demands...have more trust in ya boobies hunny ..was what they were designed for. :wink: :hug:

Make sure too you are drinking plenty.xxx
wot she said :D I also found my milk increased when I went on the mini pill but its not consistent for everyone :(

Gosh, so glad I posted. Thanks for all your tips ladies! :D

Valentine you sweetie, you just made me feel really good. It wasn't too bad breast feeding Austin. I expressed for the 6 weeks he was in hospital every 3/4 hours so he could have my milk down his tube. It made me feel great that I could contribute to his progress and all the Kangeroo Care (skin to skin) I was able to give him helped keep my milk up. I had pictures of him all over the nursery so I could look at him while expressing and listen to happy music. It was quite enjoyable really. Then when he was big enough to start to try to latch on he was so tiny (4Ibs) that his sucks were really gentle and broke my nips in very slowly. Promise to try to get some pics on soon!

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back