tommee tippee teats and loudly gurgling belly!!

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
Two things I have to ask!

1. Does you LO's belly gurgle REALLY loudly after a feed. Like REALLY loud, and you can feel the vibrations?

Fi seems to get really bad wind and sometimes seems unhappy after a feed, is this normal? Is it linked to the gurgling?

2. Tommee tipee teats... we have the tt bottles and the number 1 teats but I have no idea whether they are right for her, as i said above she gets a lot of wind and gurgles and sometimes she will want more food and then she'll be spitting it out as soon as she's taken it, occasionally she'll cough it back.

Is this the teats? We can't really afford new bottles but if it's them then we will find a way to get some others.

P.S if it makes a difference she is on a mix of formula (cow and gate newborn) and EBM - and the problem seems to be there with whatever feed she is having... at least i think so!

Angel's belly makes really loud gurgling noises too! But i'm breastfeeding as well as using bottles on rare occasions so don't think they're linked. Angel gets LOTS of wind! More than i expected for BF babies. And if it's not wind from her mouth it's coming from her bum!

Hiya,

we had loads of problems with those bottles I'm afraid :(

The flow seemed to be too fast for Phoebs even though she was on the number 1 teats. Milk poured out the edges of her mouth. She often took more than she wanted and projectile vomited. The wind? Well she had such bad colic that she was screaming all day. Don't think this was just down to the bottles, but it didn't help.

Does she seem ok in herself? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe try infacol for her wind.

If she is struggling a bit, maybe just buy 1 different bottle and see if it makes a difference? We use the Dr Browns ones. They are great. I've also heard that the NUK bottles are quite good.

PS we are mixed feeding also

:hug: :hug:

i found at first that caitlyn seemed to be taking the milk but then it would start coming out of her mouth.

the teatr was under her tongue an not on top lol - just an idea to check that.

Is it the closer to nature bottles? If so, check that the little valve is opening properly as it can get stuck together meaning that the only air that can get in is through the hole in the teat and can cause your LO to gulp air. We had a very unhappy and windy baby when this happened!

I actually found that the flow on the #1 teat was too slow for Becky as of a couple of weeks ago and she was falling asleep after about 30ml and demanding more after an hour and the HV recommended we move up a teat and have had no problems since. Don't think that's what's happening with your LO, though.

Have you tried winding her at points during the feed? After every ounce or two so that it's brought up without milk sitting on top of it? That worked really well for us in the first few weeks.

My mum bought us a couple of the Dr Browns bottles to try and it took her the best part of an hour to drain a bottle, much more slow flowing so might be worth a shot for you? Wind seemed to come up easier, too.

daftscotslass said:
Is it the closer to nature bottles? If so, check that the little valve is opening properly as it can get stuck together meaning that the only air that can get in is through the hole in the teat and can cause your LO to gulp air.

Exactly what I was going to say!!!

we had LOADS of probs with the tt ctn bottles, i gave in after 4 days of not feeding properely and moved on to the Nuk ones and he settled straight away, we have been on those ever since in fact he wont have any others in his mouth, i think its the way they are shaped and they are really soft too.

Galen's tummy makes loads of noise as he is feeding and after. And yes, I can feel it also but their bodies are so small you can feel their stomachs and digestive system doing their thing.

Re teats, as I am mainly BF'ing but LO is having expressed milk we got the narrower teats so he has to still work fairly hard to get milk out. We were concerned he might get lazy if the bottle teats made it too easy for him and he didn't really have to suck. Could potentially cause problems when he goes back to my boob and doesn't suck as hard as he needs.

Chances are its a case of finding the right teats :) I use NUK bottles and teats as teats are designed to complement if BF'ing as they mimic the nipple shape.

BabyBee said:
Two things I have to ask!

1. Does you LO's belly gurgle REALLY loudly after a feed. Like REALLY loud, and you can feel the vibrations?

Fi seems to get really bad wind and sometimes seems unhappy after a feed, is this normal? Is it linked to the gurgling?

During and after a feed I'd say it's normal and just linked to the air she's taking in. However, if it's between feeds, and causing severe discomfort then you can join the wonderful world of lactose intolerance :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back