toddler tantrum

bowmanzoo

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for some advice on my toddler, before Harleigh came along she was already having tantrums but they were copeable and short. Now I fully expected challenges when Harleigh was born but this is nearly going to the extreme. Joanna is is two and a half years old now refuses to eat much at all and creates like hell at meal times just crying until we let her down. I know some of you are thinking well just let her skip the meal and wait until the next meal but thing is she's already low weight and is like a yoyo with her weight gain, one minute gaining and the next loosing which is now being monitored by the health visitor on a monthly bases so I'm already stressed out with her eating without her refusing to eat all together. I have even reverted to allowing her to have whatever so I offered her a biscuit the other day and even that she refused which just isnt like her. Bedtimes are a nightmare too, she used to be excellent at going to bed but since the arrival of Harleigh when we say our goodnights and walk out of her room she starts screaming a loud high pitched tantrum scream which tonight went on for a good 20 mins, we've tried the nicey nicey approach, the telling off approach and tonight I suggested to my husband we just leave her cry it out as nicey nicey and telling offey is getting her the attention she appears to be after. She also constantly asks what things are even though she knows what they are. We try our best with giving her attention but it doesnt seem to be working and i'm at the end of my tether with her so i'm just looking for advice, pointers ect on how to deal with her.

Sorry i cant offer much advice, but it certainly sounds like attention seeking. Even asking what things are all the time sounds as tho she is just looking for a response from her and that she knows you will answer her.

Hopefully it will pass best advice i can give is when she is being well behaved give her alot of attention, i she is playing up ignore it.

Hi my wee one isn't at that stage yet but some of the kids in my class are :) Sounds like you are doing all the right things, the most important thing (which I am sure you know) is to be consistant and make sure you and other half are singing from the same hymn sheet. I am sure it is very difficult but here are some ideas
keep calm and stay positive- go over the top with positive affirmation when she does well,
let her get the trantrum out of her system and ignore that behaviour completely (turn your back- leave the room..) or if you can't do that get down on her level and try to achieve eye contact then repeat 'no' until she stops.
Try 'naughty step' for serious bad behaviour
good luck..I am sure it will all pass in time :hug:

I suggest just being consistant with her, put her to bed and althought it's tiring keep putting her back there until she gets it. It terms of the tatrums over food, have you tried having her eat with you? Also giving her grown up food and praising her (i went through all this with Paris too)

If you have time get her to help with it too. I know it's hard with a newb and a toddler :hug:

I have no experience of a toddler that age, though Isaac is currently having moments where he bangs his head on the floor or slaps himself, which is horrible, and he often goess off his meals, so I find 2 rules which help are;

Praise the good, ignore the bad.
Have healthy snacks readily available to LO, with water, all day.

As Babylicious says I think being as consistent as possible is best, and don't be hard on yourself either if it takes a while, you have a lot on your hands at the mo, and congratulations too :hug: Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

thanks for the advice girls, pretty much what i'm doing but at least i know im doing it right lol

it just takes time for them to get the message :lol: they do what gets the best reaction :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back