• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Toddler Bed

Leanne&Bump

Reaction score
My son will be 17 months when this baby is born and i was planning on taking my son out of his cot and putting him in a toddler bed for the baby to have his cot but now im thinking its a bad idea as he maybe too young?

Do you think hes a bit too young for a toddler bed? Should i just get another cot bed? :roll:

I would like the same advice although mine will be almost 2 when the new baby arrives - I think that she ought to be ready for a bed by then :)

Some kids are fine at 17 months and some aren't, so I'd maybe have something else the baby can sleep in at first just in case. Sam was nearly 19 months when Toby was born and we'd had his toddler bed set up for ages before then, but he's still not in it now - he loves playing in it, having stories read to him in it and pretending to sleep there but he still hasn't actually had a night in it - although we haven't tried for the last couple of months so probably should again!

The one thing it's best to avoid is making any big changes in other kids' lives (like new bed, potty training etc.) when a new baby is born as too much change can be quite stressful for them and they can feel pushed out, so if you are going to put him in the toddler bed to use the cot for the baby I'd either do it before the baby arrives, or get a cheap moses basket or something for the baby for the first couple of months :)

We are having another cot. For me I think it's a lot to do all at once when they have a new sibling to get used to as well. Plus they might have broken sleep if the new baby wakes them. I personally think that when they are in their cot they are less likely to wake up properly too. If they wake they cant get out of bed and really come round IYKIWM.

Sid will be in with us in a crib for 6 months ish. I certainly wont be moving Hebe in to a bed in this time and TBH I wont be rushing for a while after :)

My other half and myself have decided we are going to buy the same cotbed as what my son has now for the new baby. i have a moses basket too but i think id rather keep my son in his own bed as he sleeps through the night and i dont want to disturb his sleep pattern now by changing his beds!

my cousin was bout 16 months wen his sister was born and was bout 18mths when she needed cot and they put him in his own bed he LOVED it ... they just got one of them guards for the side of it and then his sister was put into a bed at about the same age... they were both fine. :D defo personal choice tho and whatever your most comfortable with... you could even buy a cheap cot for second baby and when toddler is older put baby into good cotbed xxx

Kian was in a bed by the time he was 1 but Niamh who is almost 14 months isn't ready to move into a bed yet. She can't even sleep in her cot!! But at least she can't climb out.........Yet!!

Niamh is a perfect example of why a cage...erm...I mean a cot is a good thing.....:lol:

Lisa!!!! Fancy saying my angelic daughter needs to sleep in a cage!!:shakehead:

She could do with a cage 24/7 not just for sleep times:lol:!!

Hey,

It really depends on a child I guess. Brandon is 15 months now and he has been sleeping in a normal bed for a month. He fell out once but has never happened again and there's no problems at all :lol: x

My son will be 17 months when this baby is born and i was planning on taking my son out of his cot and putting him in a toddler bed for the baby to have his cot but now im thinking its a bad idea as he maybe too young?

Do you think hes a bit too young for a toddler bed? Should i just get another cot bed? :roll:

My son has just turned 18 mths and I HAD to take the sides off his cotbed. Through the night, he woke and climbed the cot bumper out of the cot, onto the w indowsill and got stuck. I woke to screaming at 4am...he couldnt get back down loool.

anyway, I lasted a week with the sides off at this early stage. It became a game to get up repeatedly and just not go to sleep in the bed. We put a gate on the door to his room so he couldnt get out. we packed all his toys away every evening - so he flipped his rug and started picking the foam back on it. I couldn't handle any more, so put sides back on for now.

With my son we moved when he was 18 months, so first night in the new house he slept in his brand new bed..... and didn't hear a peep. Has been fine ever since. It was a little bed from Ikea, very low to the ground.

All you can do is try!! I just had the travel cot up in the spare room for a while in case there was any silly business.

Now he's nearly four he's asking for one of those beds high up with the ladder! Eek!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariyadavis
Back