TMI - Constipation

Happybunny

Reaction score
Okies, I am on iron tablets and I have constipation BAD! :evil:

I am constatly getting spasm pains in my gut and this morning I tired to go, but it was so painful I had to stop. When I went to flush, there was lots of bright red blood in the loo. I first panicked and thought it was from my cervix...but nope, it defo came from trying to go to the toilet.

I went and drank 3 pints of water and ate an apple and a banana. It did seem to help as an hour later I managed to get going, but it was still painful and there was still a bit of blood.

I talked to the consultant on Monday and she suggested taking Senna (lactolose is no good for me as I am at risk of getting GD).
I am a bit wary of taking laxatives because I took some a few years ago and it didn't help. It made things worse. It soften all the new waste, but not the hard blockage....so I ended up with diarrhoea that couldn't come out becuase it was blocked in.....OUCH!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry for the TIM post, but I don't know what to do, I can't have 8 more weeks of this :cry:

Has anyone else had constipation this bad? How did you relieve it?

hi hun i had movicol when i was pg, i have ibs too, i have just read the box and it says it can be taken in pregnancy but consult your doctor first, it works every time for me

I took pregnacare when I was pg and they made me constipated (too much iron I think) and I had really painful piles which bled. Maybe you have a pile or fissure that is bleeding hun? I also used to have the runs because its like a back log, its weird having the runs when you're constipated eh?!?! Anyway I just ate dried apricots and that helped me. Be careful though if you have some, try a few then wait a while before you have any more. I used to buy mine from the supermarket down the aisle with all the baking stuff. And if you do have or get piles you can use anusol when you are pregnant.

ooo you poor cow :hug:

i had this last pregnancy so really was hoping not to need iron tablets this time, but i did :cry:

but my midwife told me about this natural form off iron that doesn't give you all the yucky side effects and it works soo well and i dont have horrible black poo :cheer:

http://www.spatoneshop.co.uk/home.php you can buy it in most chemists and boots, cost about £6 a month but if it help to prevent me getting piles etc then well worth it :cheer:

Thank you all so much for your replies. It literally is a pain in the arse! That spa stuff looks good paradysso, I am going to order some!
I have loads of dried apricots at home! I used to take a bag to work every day, but I haven't eaten any since I started Mat leave 3 weeks ago. I am going to eat some right now!!! Anything is worth a try!

Do you have to be on a specific iron tablet? I found that tablets made me really constipated too so I switched to the liquid form called Floradix. After I switched I was fine.

I had this a while back, to the extent where I bled :( When my consultant prescribed Codiene she prescribed Fybergel too as Codiene causes constipation..TMI but bowels have gone the opposite way now so haven't had to take any, but I've heard it's really effective. :hug:

hi hun

i got terrible constipation not long ago, i had piles too and bleeding.

I got anusol and pecessaries, I took senna for a bit then lactulose as well as buying prune juice and seedy bread.

it seems to have worked, i also have movacol which is a softner.

i have started taking more natural iron too, florodex as a capsule, it was £8.00 but the nausea I was getting with the other tablets was quite bad.

good luck
xx

I've been taking senna as it's safe to take during pregnancy, otherwise I have bad pains

I haven't been seriously constipated but if my bowels are having a reluctant day I just have a seat on the toilet with a good book and let things take their time. I really don't want piles so I refuse to strain :D It can take a while but I have lots of time just now :rotfl:

I always drink a litre of water/squash in the morning and then another in the afternoon which keeps me regular

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back