Tips for getting a 13 month old to use an inhaler

CARNAT22

Reaction score
There isn't much traffic in here (last post was 1st Dec!!) but here goes.

James is using an inhaler to have Salbutamol and at the moment he needs it 4 hourly.

We have tried everything. Making it fun (giving it to me and Daddy and Teddy), We have tried swaddling, doing it in his pram / chair so we can kind of restrain him.

When OH is here it's OK but when I am alone it is so hard.

The issue is when he first had inhaler (in A&E and then on ward) it was being done hourly so we had no time to make it fun for him... He also had several nebulisers as well which were even worse in terms of how stressful it was.

Any tips??

xxxxx

Last edited:
when I need my lo to do anything he doesn't want to do : get changed, take medicine etc etc
I put Postman Pat on the ipad to distract him?
maybe worth trying some distraction techniques?

x

I usually put DD's fave programme on (special agent oso) and just say "lets show oso how good you are at taking your puffers" then talk to oso with things like "isnt she so good oso? For taking her medicine" usually works for us. She's been on Inhalers since 12 months and that's how we got her to take them. We still have to do it at 27 months but it works. Hope this helps

We have a spacer with teddies on, and added stickers. Also sing a few sings. DDs both have asthma, and have done since they were tiny. It gets easier. X

A wee boy I used to babysit had an inhaler at this age, and we used to sing Bob the Builder to him as he inhaled through the spacer. Does James have a favourite song or nursery rhyme? xx

Thanks for the advise ladies, James is now 21 months :shock: and has only needed his inhaler once since he was initially taken poorly (and even then that was me being overcautious!)

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back