Asthma.

redbear

Reaction score
I've had asthma diagnosed for the last few years but its seasonal, i only get it when i get ill it goes to my chest and i end up with a cough that lasts months because its asthma, so i ran out of inhaler a couple of months ago and my chest was feeling tight so i went to the doctor for a re fill. But he listened to my chest and said its not asthma its just the baby its normal, He wouldn't prescribe me an inhaler which i thought was wrong because if i have a sudden attack ive nothing.
But me been me i stupidly didn't say anything but then the consultant at the hospital asked me about my asthma because its on my records and i told her what the doctor said and she said he should have given me one anyway because it doesn't harm the baby and the inhaler doesn't just open my throat it opens something else to the baby (i cant remember what exactly she said).
So the night before last i was up at 4am coughing and then throwing up because i was coughing so much and my best friend who lives away had left her inhaler on the bathroom windowsill when she came to the baby shower so i used it and it took my cough away so i could stop throwing up and go back to bed. It happened again about then minutes ago.
Called DH and he said we are going back to the doctors tomorrow to get an inhaler and he is coming in with me in case they try to tell me no again.
But do you think i'm out of order for wanting to complain about the doctor?
It was the first time i had seen him and can't remember his name but it must be on my records or something. I just think its dangerous to just refuse to give you one when Ive had three other doctors all confirm its asthma.
What do you think i should do? xx

Have you got an asthma nurse there hun? I asked to see her/him if so. I was diagnosed with asthma about 3 years ago after getting sudden attacks in the night and there is nothing worse than when you have a tight chest and no inhaler. As soon as I realise I don't have mine with me when I'm out, I panick, and then feel worse.

I've been seeing the asthma nurse more regularly since being pregnant.

I would maybe play up your attack a smidgen and say that you felt that you were having an asthma attack. Maybe even just tell the truth, that you used your friends inhaler and it relieved your symptoms.

Hope he is able to help.

xx

I dont think your out of order to complain at all. If you are a diagnosed asthmatic then you should have access to an inhaler at all times!!! - if its on your medical records then what he heard in your chest at the time of the appointment is completely irrelevant.

I technically have asthma although no-longer have an inhaler cos ive not had an attack in years, but mine was classed as sport induced, i only ever had attacks after extreme physical exertions - but i still had an inhaler at all times - in fact i even had an arrangement with the chemist that if i ran out of mine they would give me one, and i could get the prescription afterwards.

I would definitely be complaining.
xxx

Thanks, i thought i should have one even if my chest isnt bad because it can come on really quick. I really should stand up for myself more. Im going to go see another doctor and tell him im not happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back