Tipping

nicki

Reaction score
An odd question but how much do you/would you tip a hairdressers?
I rarely go as my Mum or SIL would cut my hair but i'm going to make an appointment at a salon & don't really know the etiquette on tipping :think:

depends if you happy with it or not?

if i get mine done and i aint to hapy with it they get nothing lol

but if i am happy i give about £3.

i used to work in a hairdressers and most people just used to give 50p :lol:

I find it depends on what Im having done, if its just a trim i just round up normally like if £17 I mike it £20 but normally aout £2-£3. If IM having something time consuming I make it more, like £5 - £10.
I paid a tenner after having a whole day of having hair extensions.

Nothing lol

My mate does it so I tip her (or used to) to a couple of fags and a double vodka redbull when I see her out ha ha.

Anyway, im tight and dont tip in this country really as I feel people get paid for the job they do, I dont get tipped for working and doing what Im doing and Im underpaid lol. I tip in America deffo as they get like $1 an hour basic wage and the rest is made up from tips and they show that in the service, they provide you!

Most of the time in the public service industry in this country the people are grumpy and custome sattisfaction isnt high on their list as they get paid at the end of the day anyway!

Im a scrooge :rotfl:

i agree with cat&noah about the wholerounding up thing (only if if really happy with it though, and not if they have made a pigs arse of it!). also totally agree with jennywren about the customer service in this country, it really shows that they arnt arsed when compared to america who have an incentive to work for their money. :D

jennywren said:
Nothing lol

My mate does it so I tip her (or used to) to a couple of fags and a double vodka redbull when I see her out ha ha.

Anyway, im tight and dont tip in this country really as I feel people get paid for the job they do, I dont get tipped for working and doing what Im doing and Im underpaid lol. I tip in America deffo as they get like $1 an hour basic wage and the rest is made up from tips and they show that in the service, they provide you!

Most of the time in the public service industry in this country the people are grumpy and custome sattisfaction isnt high on their list as they get paid at the end of the day anyway!

Im a scrooge :rotfl:

:rotfl: You have a good point.
I was never allowed to exept tips in my job(airline cabin crew), not that the stingy ar*e Bar-stewards would have done anyway :lol: .
It really annoys me in restaurants when they automatically put on a service charge/tip onto your bill, flipping cheek. I feel that if they deserve a tip they will get one. Alot of places put on a charge then have a space on the receipt for a tip :shock: why don't I just give you my bank details & you take what you want :lol:

I haven't left a tip on the odd occasion I have been to the hairdressers mainly coz I forget! then feel guilty after :roll:

Their was a thing about this on the news the other night, about the laws on tipping. Apparently when they add it as a service charge, they do not legally have to give it to the staff as extra, but use it to pay their basic wages. Where as if it is a tip, they have to by law give it to the staff.

Cat&Noah said:
Their was a thing about this on the news the other night, about the laws on tipping. Apparently when they add it as a service charge, they do not legally have to give it to the staff as extra, but use it to pay their basic wages. Where as if it is a tip, they have to by law give it to the staff.

How cheeky :shock:

yeh i find in resturants if they have been cheeky enough to give a tip then NO WAY do they get any extra, unless the bill is say 49.90, ill leave £50 and go, but if they dont add something on the bill and they waiter/waitress has been ''extra specal'' ill leave a fiver for them or something but I think its only happened once in this country. The way I see it, they are getting there wage regardless, so they should work hard for any extra, if my glass is empty and im thirsty and waiting for a drink, thats not working for it, if the plate is left in front of me for ages when ive finished again not working for it so they get ziltch ha ha. In the US, my glass is filled before, i finished, my plate taken as soon as i put my napkin on top of it and my mouth wiped on the way out :rotfl: If in the US they say how was your meal or you make complaint, they dont charge, at the end of the meal here, if they go ''how was it'' and you tell them it was rubbish, they go ''oh right, soz'' and thats it!!

I dont tip in bars as they dont serve my alcoholic dependancy quick enough, and urm, well there isnt anything else to really tip for is there cept hairdress, which Ive covered.

Oh the other week went to Frankie & Bennys and service was sub standard, as was the food, was a total of £29.20 or something so I put £30 down and while we were getting coats on, she brought the change back, I left it, when we got out side OH, goes ''you forgot the change'' and handed me the silver :rotfl: I was wetting myself

Cat&Noah said:

Im sure I read somewhere or someone told me as well that if they add a service charge you dont actually have to pay it, they make it look like its got to be paid but it is actually optional or somehting, but dont quote me as if the coppers nock on your door for not paying your bills properly, I hold no responsibility :rotfl:

In fact im gonna investigate now!

Tipping makes me feel really uncomfortable, so I generally don't do it! :shock: :lol:

Seriously, if I go out for a meal, I'll generally round up and leave between 5%-10%. If I'm in the local pub, I'll occassionally say 'Get one for yourself'. But with Hairdressers, Taxi Drivers, etc, that's too face to face and I feel really awkward. So I now always pay with my card at the hairdressers so I don't have to get any money out and feel that I should leave a tip! :shock: I know I'm a scrooge, but it really does make me feel wierd giving someone money.

jennywren said:
but if they dont add something on the bill and they waiter/waitress has been ''extra specal'' ill leave a fiver for them or something but I think its only happened once in this country.

jennywren i dont even want to think what this "extra special" is you talk of! :rotfl:

I didnt leave my hair dresser nothing as she told me I was tying my hair back to hard and I am losing it!!! Not I am paranoid, but looked back on pics and I AM!!! haha xxxx

Arnt you lot a tight fisted bunch!
I tip everyone, Unless the service has been bad, than I dont, but if staff are polite and curteous and prompt I always tip everything. At the end of the day they are on minimum wage normally, and they are runnin around after us waiting on us hand and foot, even if they get rude and obnoxious customers they have to smile and be polite, so I think they deserve a little extra.

nicki said:
An odd question but how much do you/would you tip a hairdressers?
I rarely go as my Mum or SIL would cut my hair but i'm going to make an appointment at a salon & don't really know the etiquette on tipping :think:

i NEVER tip!

if i go out for a meal i deliberately pay my credit card so i can avoid it. hairdressers rip you off anyhow so i never tip them. They charge me £2 just to trim my fringe for heavens sake. :shock:

jennywren said:
yeh i find in resturants if they have been cheeky enough to give a tip then NO WAY do they get any extra, unless the bill is say 49.90, ill leave £50 and go, but if they dont add something on the bill and they waiter/waitress has been ''extra specal'' ill leave a fiver for them or something but I think its only happened once in this country. The way I see it, they are getting there wage regardless, so they should work hard for any extra, if my glass is empty and im thirsty and waiting for a drink, thats not working for it, if the plate is left in front of me for ages when ive finished again not working for it so they get ziltch ha ha. In the US, my glass is filled before, i finished, my plate taken as soon as i put my napkin on top of it and my mouth wiped on the way out :rotfl: If in the US they say how was your meal or you make complaint, they dont charge, at the end of the meal here, if they go ''how was it'' and you tell them it was rubbish, they go ''oh right, soz'' and thats it!!

I dont tip in bars as they dont serve my alcoholic dependancy quick enough, and urm, well there isnt anything else to really tip for is there cept hairdress, which Ive covered.

Oh the other week went to Frankie & Bennys and service was sub standard, as was the food, was a total of £29.20 or something so I put £30 down and while we were getting coats on, she brought the change back, I left it, when we got out side OH, goes ''you forgot the change'' and handed me the silver :rotfl: I was wetting myself

You saying about the service in the states & how they take your plate away, well when I was New Youk, our waiter was a bit to keen & took my plate away half way through my breakfast. :shock: I sat in shock then told him I hadn't finished, he fished it out the plastic tub for scraps & asked if I wanted it back :shock: I did laugh after tho. he was a right miserable sod, he didn't get a tip!

Im a beauty therapist and its funny how some people can tip you loads and others dont tip at all, and normally I find people tip more for small treatments such as waxing and nails rather than long treatments like massages and facials.

Also, it always seems that clients with lots of money rarely ever tip and clients with barely any money that only come in on special occasions always leave a tip...

As for tipping myself, I always leave a tip (cos I like to be tipped lol) and its normally about £2 for a cut and then about a fiver for a full head of colour.

Like Cat says if I was having a longer treatment that consumed more time id tip a bit more.

However, if some one was rude to me or I wasnt happy I DEFINATELY would not tip, I have to be happy. A tip in the hair and beauty industry is an indication that your client was satisfied and you did a good job. When I dont receive a tip for a treatment I always question as to whether the treatment was good enough, but some people like I say, simply do not agree with tipping.

budge said:
i NEVER tip!

if i go out for a meal i deliberately pay my credit card so i can avoid it. hairdressers rip you off anyhow so i never tip them. They charge me £2 just to trim my fringe for heavens sake. :shock:

A girl after my own heart!

LOL at the extra special service, yeh some of the lads whop it out in the toilets for you oto do as you please if they want a really big tip, in that case mine has always been, get one of them willy stretchers of ebay mate, it aint worth the $2 I was going to give ya
:rotfl:

In bars though, if your there for a few drinks, I always find if you tip $5 on the first drink (quite alot but its worth it) evry consecutive drink you will get more (this only works obviously if drinking spirits) like tripple the amount, and other people qill get by passed and you served straight away if its busy :D

nicki said:
You saying about the service in the states & how they take your plate away, well when I was New Youk, our waiter was a bit to keen & took my plate away half way through my breakfast. :shock: I sat in shock then told him I hadn't finished, he fished it out the plastic tub for scraps & asked if I wanted it back :shock: I did laugh after tho. he was a right miserable sod, he didn't get a tip!

:rotfl: thats funny however, I would have had a free breakfast for that.

We went to ihop for tea when we arrived as it was not far from my mates house, the lady picked up the plate and walked behind me and a fork dropped of and when inbetween my back and the chair, it had relish on it and got all over my top, she was so appologetic, and the manager came out and gave us all a free meal that night, and gave us about $30 of free food vouchers (which were very usefull for getting free burgers at 4am on our way home from the clubs lol) HOWEVER I stunk so bad of relish I was wretching (as was evryone else) that the made me sit in the back of the pickup truck all the way home, everyone was honking at me as it usually only tools and animals people put in there :rotfl:

I never tip my hairdresser - by the way nicki i use Regis in swan walk!

they charge £28 for a wash cut and finish which takes half hour usually - £30 for half hours work :shock:

i hadnt really ever thought of it tbh. i alwasy tip in restuarants as long as i am happy with service usually rougly 10%.

no one tips me everytime i type a letter or do some invoicing! the only tips i get are to use spell check more :lol:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back