Tipping

Cat&Noah said:
Arnt you lot a tight fisted bunch!
I tip everyone, Unless the service has been bad, than I dont, but if staff are polite and curteous and prompt I always tip everything. At the end of the day they are on minimum wage normally, and they are runnin around after us waiting on us hand and foot, even if they get rude and obnoxious customers they have to smile and be polite, so I think they deserve a little extra.

:clap: Well said Cat!
I always tip at restaurants (unless the service is really bad). I was a waitress once and it was the most thankless and unrewarding job I have ever had. Not only are the wages terrible in the catering industry but you work the most unsociable hours, evenings and weekends. And believe me, you work! You are on your feet running around from the moment you get there to the moment you leave. Never again!

I tip my hairdresser but he's OH's uncle he does my colour and cut for £20 so i give £25, i used to give 2-3 pound tip at my old hairdresser.
I always tip though! We went for a meal once the whole family and when it came to payin i said what tip shall we give and my dad shouted 'to be bloody quicker next time, thats a great tip' :oops: i nearly died cos the waitress was behind us :lol:

Misslarue said:
:clap: Well said Cat!
I always tip at restaurants (unless the service is really bad). I was a waitress once and it was the most thankless and unrewarding job I have ever had. Not only are the wages terrible in the catering industry but you work the most unsociable hours, evenings and weekends. And believe me, you work! You are on your feet running around from the moment you get there to the moment you leave. Never again!

I have never really had good enough service that warrants a tip in a resturant, its not my fault the owners pay min wage and dont have enough staff on and keep the cash in there pockets, why should I pay the staff for that when you dont really get an excellent service? I cover 365 days a year 24 hours a day, worked the last 3 xmas (days and nights) and new years, I works weekends, nights, days all sorts, I dont get paid what I should (about 5k under) but say one of the programmes that runs the natwest collection service to make payments from Nat west in to YBS account holders accounts goes down, and I fix it, I dont ring every single account holder and go, you nearly didnt get that payment today but I was on the ball last night and spotted an error, can you tip me a percentage of your payment please, as I was dead busy, and get paid a crap wage!!

pmsl

different level of service but still a service I provide, get underpaid, work all hours and dont get tipped, so why should I tip people my hard earned cash when Ive gotta wait 10 min for another drink when Im parched :rotfl:

Agreed, I worked for Body Shop for many years, giving out advice, hand massages and makeovers but as it's a shop I never got tipped. I don't understand why we tip cabbies but not bus drivers, hairdressers but not good service in a shop etc.

It makes no sense?

I book holidays for people and the biggest tip i ever got was 10p :shock: :lol:

I dont tip, I think £25 for an hours work is plenty. If you feel uncomfortable not leaving a tip, pay on a debit/credit card as you cant really leave one then. Thats what I do :D

i used to do waitressing and bar work in a cantonese restaurant,we wasnt allowe to keep the tips the gaffer and the chefs had them,but we had a little trick and would slip that we cant receive tips as they would be taken off us so customers used to slip them inour back pockets, a rather rich customer wrote a cheque in my name for £30 and said this is to compensate working in this shithole needless to say i left that night as the gaffer went mad when he found out :lol:

the thing is how many waitresses are getting cash in hand, so tips are just part of the perk.

i work in a school and the money is crap for lots of hassle and i dont get any tips for looking after kids that have split their heads open doing stupid things, or cleaning vomit off clothes or phoning parents up when their thirteen year old has s**t his pants and sat in it all day. It was their decision to take a job that pays rubbish wages so why should subsidise them.

by the way i do usually tip :D

nicki said:
It really annoys me in restaurants when they automatically put on a service charge/tip onto your bill, flipping cheek. I feel that if they deserve a tip they will get one.

i seen that before 9 of us went out for lunch and there was a £10 charge on there so we crossed it out and didnt pay it, you dont have to they cant say anything 8)

Em78 said:
I never tip my hairdresser - by the way nicki i use Regis in swan walk!

they charge £28 for a wash cut and finish which takes half hour usually - £30 for half hours work :shock:

i hadnt really ever thought of it tbh. i alwasy tip in restuarants as long as i am happy with service usually rougly 10%.

no one tips me everytime i type a letter or do some invoicing! the only tips i get are to use spell check more :lol:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Have to say i've never liked the thought of going in there, everyone can have a gawp as they walk past :lol:

I've just made an appointment to get my hairy bits waxed & to have a neck,shoulder & back massage( :D )its going to cost £62 :shock: so i don't think i'll be tipping them, all that money for me to be in pain for an hour, I think not!!!! :rotfl:

nicki said:
Em78 said:

they charge £28 for a wash cut and finish which takes half hour usually - £30 for half hours work :shock:

i hadnt really ever thought of it tbh. i alwasy tip in restuarants as long as i am happy with service usually rougly 10%.

no one tips me everytime i type a letter or do some invoicing! the only tips i get are to use spell check more :lol:

Have to say i've never liked the thought of going in there, everyone can have a gawp as they walk past :lol:

I've just made an appointment to get my hairy bits waxed & to have a neck,shoulder & back massage( :D )its going to cost £62 :shock: so i don't think i'll be tipping them, all that money for me to be in pain for an hour, I think not!!!! :rotfl:

£62???????!!!

Where you having that done Nicki in that salon?

Shame you dont live near me babe id do all that for £22!

I am an Anti Social Behaviour Officer-helping make citites safer places, I don't get tipped, and the work we do is dangerous (a cheaper version of the Police I say!)

Jennywren not all public service people are that bad :lol:

JaidyBaby said:
nicki said:
Em78 said:

£62???????!!!

Where you having that done Nicki in that salon?

Shame you dont live near me babe id do all that for £22!

:shock: £22, right thats it i'm getting in my car now & coming to Dorset. I am wondering if its the right price as they didn't have any price lists there so the girl added it up in her head, we'll see. I don't really go to salons to get things done (at that price are you surprised!!!!? :lol: )but thought i'd treat myself as we're going on holiday 3 days after so want to smooth :lol:

It is amazing the difference in price in differnt parts of the country when it comes to hairdressing. I grew up in Essex and a decent hair dressers would charge me around £60 for a cut and colour, then I moved to Norfolk and again an upmarket hair dressers here will charge me around £35 for the same. And yet the salaries that hair dressers get paid here is no different?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back