• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Those with school age children - what arrangements do you have for around due date?

littlemiss83

Reaction score
:wave:

To those who have children at school that require dropped off & picked up, what are your arrangements for around due date? Will your OH or other family members help out? When will they start - eg. 1 week before due date?

I do all of the school drop off/pick up myself as I am able 2 do it before & after work, the school is 40 mins walk from my house & 40 mins back, I normally get the train. My OH will be working but will probs be able to do the odd day that he's not working. I dont want to get him to do all the school runs & hopefully another family member can help but so far no-one has offered. Need to make solid arrangements very soon!!

:)

luckily mine are 15 and 16 so im not worrying to much, if i go into labour while their at school/6th form ill just leave them a note and some taxi money to get to the hospital which is 5 mins away. or my mum will pick them up and bring them for me.

When I was due with charley my plan was if I went into labour during the day, sil would take her and pick her up, if I went into labour at night then Lacey would stay at my mums over night and mum would take her.
In the end though I went into labour just before the morning school run so I got her ready while having contractions then mum took her to school then sil picked her up but she came home to a little brother waiting for her! x x

As my daughter is 14 it's not too much of an issue but if I end up not having a home birth and get rushed in or something I am a bit worried about her being left too long like over night. We have no family here either, might ask my neighbor if she can go there if any emergencies arise, hopefully she can see to the dog as well! Must be a lot harder sorting out little children for everyone.

When I was due with charley my plan was if I went into labour during the day, sil would take her and pick her up, if I went into labour at night then Lacey would stay at my mums over night and mum would take her.
In the end though I went into labour just before the morning school run so I got her ready while having contractions then mum took her to school then sil picked her up but she came home to a little brother waiting for her! x x

That was a good arrangement you had!

When did you start having ppl on call, was it starting on your due date or a few days before. I'm sure there's something I can sort out but not sure when to start it if that makes sense. Plus its gona be hard coz I dont have any family/friends that dont work and dont want to have to ask ppl to take time off.

Thanks Sarah & Suzzi, i suppose it must be slighty easier having an older one. Sarah I can understand u being concerned about ur girl being o/n herself. At her age I was in house by myself after school. My wee brother was born when i'd not long turned 15 & I had to stay in the house with my wee sister (who was 5) my mum went away at 1ish in the morning to the hosp & my dad didn't come back til about 7am, and I was absolutely fine. I'd been left a few diff fone numbers incase of emergency & another fam member was on standby to come over incase something happened, which obvs it didn't.

I have a 5.5 year old. Luckily my dad and his wife are both retired (early) so I've asked if they will have Lennon for me as they have no other commitments like work etc. We only live 10 mins maximum drive from each other and they only live 2 mins away from the hospital so they will either come to us or we will take Lennon with us and drop him off on the way. If he is already at school, they are happy to collect him and take him home for as long as is necessary and take him to school/clubs as necessary. We made need him looked after all day too as I am due at the end of half term week so he may not be at school in the day!

I also have a next door neighbour whose little boys is in the same class as Lennon who would be happy to take him to school or bring him home and give him some dinner if it was an emergency.

I didn't have anyone so just carried on doing the school run it panicked me all the time tho so if you have got help take it. Thankfully it all feel into place in the end.
My oldest was at school my o/h walked in from work and my cousin came to sit with my little girl.

I didn't have anyone so just carried on doing the school run it panicked me all the time tho so if you have got help take it. Thankfully it all feel into place in the end.
My oldest was at school my o/h walked in from work and my cousin came to sit with my little girl.

The only time I panicked was if my waters went at school! I wasn't bothered about them going while in bed or shopping, it was just if they went at school in front of a load of people I didn't know but have to see everyday! Lol

DW your plan sounds perfect

Lanny - thank god someone else has went thro this & its worked out. I'm really worried now that we might not get help - only reason i'm worrying is coz no 1 has offered - i've not asked anyone coz they all work. If I really need to i'll not take wee 1 2 school or take her out early or whatever, i know they'd be fine if it was just 1 or whatever.

Wld feel really akward asking anyone coz neither of us have any family that we're close to, as in...get on well with.

Im the same I Wont ask people only if it's offered, I said to o/h when I get to that point with this one as long as he's here for the kids I will give birth on my own lol.
I stressed out that much last time about who was going to have them it made me worry about my labour more.

Its funny you say that Lanny I think if worst came 2 worst & no one could babysit, I wouldn't mind being myself. I'm not saying I particularly want it, I wouldn't go off my head w/out him. You have more kids to worry about this time, plus a faster birth as its your 4th? Is that rite, I cany see ur ticker jst now, i'd imagine if all went smoothly you'd be home quite quick anyway. How quick did u get out of hosp with ur others, i've heard ppl say they're home 2hrs after birth!

:shock:

I have got my sister over here staying at us at the moment so she is going to help us out with my 5 yrs old daughter when I have the baby, and my neigbours been really lovely offering help to pick up my daughter if I am not well etc.. x

Forgot to say that I am carrying on with work, the school run and clubs myself right up until I go into labour!

Our neighbour & good friends are going to be at the end of the phone to come watch them during the night or if during the day they will take them to school or do the bus run. Depending on time of day lol! xx

Forgot to say that I am carrying on with work, the school run and clubs myself right up until I go into labour!

DW - your keeping on working til you go into labour?

Are you nervous about your waters breaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back