Things people will tell you!

good thread...lol, some quite funny comments but in a horrible way!!!
the worst thing ive been told is.'gosh another 12 weeks you seem to have been pregnant forever' and 'when did you have your baby?' -i was only 6.5months preg at that time!!!lol and he said it staring atmy stomach!!! lol xxxx

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels like this! :D My taxi driver the other day actually told me "Good god woman, u'll need a wheelbarrow soon!" I came soooooo close to saying "Do u also chant who ate all the pies to fat kids as well?"
What makes folk think that just because we're pregnant it means we're also stupidly oblivious to the things ahead and even tho we're probably working harder than we ever have in our lives creating our little miracles, we should be GREATFUL for all the "extra help" and R and R we're getting!:twisted: My boss (male) is lovely but if I hear him say "U've had no sleep???..... Wait till u've got a baby and a todler! Now THAT'S no sleep!!" I will be having this child in prison! I'm not after all out sympathy but a bit of understanding would be great! I'm not comparing my lack of sleep with ur's, I'm just explaining why I look "sooooo tired" as u just pointed out! :wall2:LOL x

I used to hate it when I was expecting my first and people would tell me all about THEIR births and how awful they seem to be - even though they all have at least 2 kids and more.

I said to someone that I wanted to just have gas and air and they rolled their eyes and said "oh yeah, thats what I always said too.. just you wait" well guess what... I did it with just gas and air so *sticks tongue out* lol

:yay: love it! Im pregnant with my first and Im doing the hypnobirthing course. Im having a really healthy pregnancy, bump measuring to dates, good BP and no diabetes, so really Ive got no reason to think something will go wrong, or I somehow, despite being a woman and having all the equipment, wont be able to just give birth myself.

But honestly people LOVE to scare you, and tell you how much of a hard time they had, and loads of "ooooh are you nervous?" with a look of sympathy. Its such a wierd thing, cos when kids do their exams noone says, "oooh are you nervous aout all your exams? I got sooo stressed it was awful and then I had a TERRIBLE maths paper and i just couldnt do it, and I failed it was awful, poor you" if anyone said that to a teenager people would be horrified, so why on earth do it to us pregnant women?!

I told the women at work yesterday that Im planning on using the birthing pool and gas and air and they all laughed at me, and were like, oh that will all go out the window when youre in labour. They all said I should get epidural ASAP cos some people leave it too late and they cant have it, (as if thats the worst thing that could happen to a woman) and I wont get a badge if I give birth without. :wall2: Im not after a bloody badge, Im trying to make sure I wont need to have a c-section, episiotomy, catheter, drip, constant fetal monitoring and blood pressure issues. I think that might distract my focus somewhat!!! Plus I prefer the thought of a baby coming out as my body was designed to do, than a metal needle going into my spinal cord..NOT designed to be done.

**steps off soapbox** :oooo:

i am another being constantly annoyed by people demanding that i will 'need' drugs to give birth naturally

now i understand, things happen, baby can be back-to-back, labour can go on for hours and hours and people get tired etc

but my baby is in a perfect position, my mum and grandmother both managed to give birth without medical intervention, on their backs (eww) and with no painkillers (mum had pethadine once and she said it was such a bad mistake, made her feel drunk with pain rather than just in pain

and then when i say 'i am having a natural home birth with no drugs (besides gas n air because i love the feeling of it) they sort of snort at me as if its the most ridiculous thing in the world for a woman to give birth without a needle in her back

'oh you'll need the drugs, get an epidural they are bliss' i have many ideas of what 'bliss' is and having a needle shoved into my spine so that i cannot feel my child being born into the world is NOT one of them! Strangely enough.

Also i am terrified of needles, i hate them, not the pain so much as the understanding that someone is sticking a bit of metal into my skin, i just cannot stand it - so the trainee midwife (who was younger than me) at my 27 week appointment says to me 'you know the more you let us do it, the more comfortable iwth it you will be' LIKE I WANT TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH YOU STICKING METAL INTO MY BODY IN ORDER TO SUCK MY BLOOD OUT!!!! i would rather remain uncomfortable with it thanks, bloody vampires!

So those things wind me up - people telling me birth will be the most painful thing ever, i mean yes, the average babies head is 15cms... i can imagine it will smart a bit

but women have been doing it since the beginning of time and they go on to have more children!

Oh this is deffinatly another of my pet peeves (they seem to be building lol). People looking at me like Im crazy when I say I want to only use gas and air if I can.

I make it very clear that if I feel Im getting tired and its a very long and tiring labour then I will happily look into what type of drugs are available to me, but still theyre just like 'oh get an epidural!' I spoke to one guy and I said I wanted gas and air and he scoffed at this (his partner gave birth a few weeks ago and had an epidural) and I said Id rather let my child come into the world without drugs in her system and he was like 'oh trust me, youll want a drugged up baby for a few days' I was mortified.

My mother had me and my sister with just gas and air (she had pathedine but it was too late and she'd already had my sister by the time it kicked in) and she fully believes any woman can do it.

Why do people think we want to be pinned to the bed attached to loads of machines? Surely people should be encouraging us to do it naturally, not just assume were all hippys!

I also just want to use gas and air, whenever i tell people they all laugh or say "wait and see". It really annoys me!

Back to the sleep things, i sleep loads now and i know its because of the extra weight and being woken up early hours of each morning because my little madam loves wriggling around at that time.
I'm not thinking all my baby will do is sleep so my routine will be how it was before, I KNOW it will be different, i just hate how people insist you have NO idea at all and are in for "A BIG SHOCK"

I dont really get comments on the size of my bump but i get sooo many people touching it...without even asking :mad: just because the baby is in there doesn't mean its no longer my body!!!
I felt really guilty last week my tummy was moving around as Ava was having a wriggle and my sister tried to feel it i ended up screaming at her because i have had enough of people touching me, had to say sorry afterwards and she hardly see's me so it wasn't really anything to do with her. :roll:

The "oooohhh you look ready to pop" comment is really grating on me

I've got this one friend who comments on EVERYTHING - every status update i make on Facebook she just has to say something, once she even told me how many weeks i had left to go - in case i forgot i suppose ggrrrrrr

the only time someone has touched my belly without asking was when i lifted my shirt lying down to show my housemates the baby moving

one of them just plopped his cold, clammy hand right on my warmer than normal belly and of course Jasper totally stopped moving straight away

i actually felt really violaited, how DARE anyone touch me without permission! even without a child in me i would be really quite upset but now i get a bit nervous when people so much as come in to give me a hug - its my stomach thank you and i am trying to grow a child in it, get the hell out of my personal space RIGHT NOW

I used to hate it when I was expecting my first and people would tell me all about THEIR births and how awful they seem to be - even though they all have at least 2 kids and more.

I said to someone that I wanted to just have gas and air and they rolled their eyes and said "oh yeah, thats what I always said too.. just you wait" well guess what... I did it with just gas and air so *sticks tongue out* lol

:yay: love it! Im pregnant with my first and Im doing the hypnobirthing course. Im having a really healthy pregnancy, bump measuring to dates, good BP and no diabetes, so really Ive got no reason to think something will go wrong, or I somehow, despite being a woman and having all the equipment, wont be able to just give birth myself.

But honestly people LOVE to scare you, and tell you how much of a hard time they had, and loads of "ooooh are you nervous?" with a look of sympathy. Its such a wierd thing, cos when kids do their exams noone says, "oooh are you nervous aout all your exams? I got sooo stressed it was awful and then I had a TERRIBLE maths paper and i just couldnt do it, and I failed it was awful, poor you" if anyone said that to a teenager people would be horrified, so why on earth do it to us pregnant women?!

I told the women at work yesterday that Im planning on using the birthing pool and gas and air and they all laughed at me, and were like, oh that will all go out the window when youre in labour. They all said I should get epidural ASAP cos some people leave it too late and they cant have it, (as if thats the worst thing that could happen to a woman) and I wont get a badge if I give birth without. :wall2: Im not after a bloody badge, Im trying to make sure I wont need to have a c-section, episiotomy, catheter, drip, constant fetal monitoring and blood pressure issues. I think that might distract my focus somewhat!!! Plus I prefer the thought of a baby coming out as my body was designed to do, than a metal needle going into my spinal cord..NOT designed to be done.

**steps off soapbox** :oooo:

Thats annoys me too. "You don't get any medals for gas and air so just take what you can get" as if your doing it for some sort of appreciation. Everyone is different but people don't realise that! An epidural is fine for some ladies but not for others, same as the birthing pool etc. If you do manange on just g&a make sure and tell them when its done and then they will feel crap haha.

I feel bit weird now - i dont actually mind people touching me, although a random stranger probably would freak me out :S

I think some people are really inappropriate and inconsiderate - when i was 6 months, a woman in work told me about her friend who lost her baby at 6 months pregnant, and yesterday in Halfords, the woman serving me told me about how her son's baby died of cot death at 3 months old! I really do not want to hear these horror stories, i worry enough about stuff like that anyway.

Whilst im on my rant - it really annoys me when my MIL touches my bump without asking (bub always stops moving as soon as she does though, i secretly love that he does this!) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back