They want to add folic acid to our bread?

glitzyglamgirl

Reaction score
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2073531,00.html

A great idea in theory I think, and im not actually going down the "free choice" thing with this surprisingly as I normally would as I dont see what medical harm it can do to have a little extra folic acid in our daily diets, BUT.....what worries me is that pregnant women may think as long as they eat bread they dont need to take folic acid, but how much bread a day would a woman need to eat to get the right dosage? Would it lead to women actually taking less folic acid then they should?

What do you think?

then they would be silly to think that ahah
i had to take such a high dosage of folic acid when i was preg as my brother has spina bifida and hydrocephalus i had to go to the doc 2 get my higher dosage

Some bread already has it in it. Can't remember which one tho?!?!

Some of the Kingsmill breads already contain folic acid and one loaf is sold as "Omega 3" containing the fish oils proven to be critical in baby brain developement regarding co-ordination and memory etc. Hasn't stopped me taking the tablets, you'd have to scoff a huge number of loafs per day to get the correct dosage and that amount of carbs has to be bad for you.

hi i agree some women may think this so they should advertise that not enough is provided in daily amounts of bread so an extra supplement is still needed. xxxxxx

This has been the case in Canada for years now and their rate of miscarriage and birth defects has dropped by an extreemly significant amount! I'm all for it!

every little helps i reckon, so long as the women are takin their recommended dosage then the bread is just helpin that along!!

I think anything that can lower miscarriage and birth defects HAS to be a good thing, so I am all for it, but as I said its the worry the less intelligent breed of woman thinking they dont have to take folic acid if they have a sandwich a day! (I know none of us here are that dense but you got to admit they exist!)

I hope its made crystal clear that it doesnt replace the need for folic acid thats all.

I didnt realise some bread had omega 3 in it, might have to check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back