The Twins are here - but trauma of HELLP

traceyjones

Reaction score
I had low iron thoughout my pregnancy and was on Pregaday, this helped to a certain extent, but then at 34 weeks a blood test showed a low platelet count which had to be monitored.

At 35+5 I swelled up like an elephant, hardly recognised my own body, and has protein in urine and high bp. Got admited immediately and was told I had pre-eclampsia and had to deliver the next day. My twin boys were induced and due to my platelet count I wasn't allowed have a cesarian or an epidural, so it as gas and air only. Harry, Twin 2 was breech and took all my energy to deliver. I also had an episiotomy. Then, to add insult to injury the placentas remained stubborn and I had to have a general for manual removal.

After their birth I suffered from a severe form of HELLP syndrome which would have killed me if I hadn't had 8 units of blood and 6 units of platelets over the next 4 days, two of which were spent in intensive care.

Basically, what I am saying is don't ignore any abnormalities , especially swelling and dark urine. Put pressure on your doctor/midwife to take bloods to check all your levels - you don't want to put yourself or your baby at risk.

I am all better now and me and my boys Freddie and Harry are home after a gruelling 10 days in Hospital. They weighed 5lb 13oz and 4lb 13oz.

I had never heard of HELLP Syndrome before and even though it is very rare, it is apparently becoming more prevalent and no one knows why.

I was fortunate to have superb care at the 2 hospitals I was in and owe my life to these fantastic people.

glad you are doing better but it sounds like you have had an awful time

congratulations on your little boys

o hun, u had a rough time! :hug:
but glad u r home with ur boys, enjoy them! :D

Congratulations on your two little boys

it sounds like you had a really rough time,
glad ur all better now! :hug:

congratulations on the birth of your boys :hug:

It will be hard work but well worth it!

Hope you feel better soon :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks for the info.......& a MASSIVE congratulations on your boys!! :cheer: :cheer:

So sorry you had such a rough time honey it must have been terrifying! :hug:
Glad you and your boys are well and safe now, thank you for sharing! :hug:

Hi

Congrats hun!! glad the three of you are all okay now , must of been so scary :hug:
Do we get to see pics :)
Katrina

Congrats on the birth of your twins Tracey, sorry you had a rough time but I'm sure they'll more than make up for it :hug:

Thankyou for the information traceyjones and congratulations on the birth of your little boys, I wish you and your newly arrived family many happy and special days to come :hug:

so glad you're ok and congratulations on your twins :hug: :hug:

Congratulations on the twins! Sounds like you've had a really scary time! Hopefully all is well now and you can concentrate on getting to know your boys :hug:

Can't wait to see pics!

what a terrible time you had tracy, glad you home, are the boys doing ok? they were good weights for twins. when were they born?

i hope you all well. congratulations and well done, enjoy your boys xx :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:

Thank you everyone for your kind messages.

We are all doing very well, having been home a week. It takes a while to get settled into a sort of routine, but nights are hectic - hence very tired!

I can't work out how to attach photos, can anyone help me with that?

Tracey, Freddie and Harry
Born 27 Feb at 5.59pm and 6.34pm after 6 hours labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back