The High chair minefield

Copterpops

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking for any recommendations for high chairs. we are ideally looking for one which we can use in beside the normal dining table, although having one with its own tray would be handy too for lunch at the breakfast bar in the kitchen.

We are fast approaching the time where we are needing one. Baby is 14 weeks now, but so desperate to be part of the dinner group that she screams if she is not with us at the table.

Thanks

After so much research with my dd1, I couldn't look past the recommendations and the price of the ikea one! It's something ridiculous like £15!! It has its own tray that you can also take off, was perfect height for my table, all parts and wipeable and don't spoil with the mess of weaning. You can buy inserts for it too that makes it perfect no matter what size the baby. We bought a few for family's houses too cos it was so cheap. Will be using it for dd2 also!

We have the mamas and papas pesto pear I think it's called, wipe able and reclines well especially if you are looking at introducing sooner than later x

We have the mamas and papas pesto pear I think it's called, wipe able and reclines well especially if you are looking at introducing sooner than later x

My SIL has got this one for her youngest and when she got it I regretted not ever getting it for my little one. I think this one is more suitable for 3-4 months old and then prop up a little more with some blankets or towels, reclining for now. The ikea one is great value but not for bubbies that young x

I've got two highchairs at different ends of the scale price wise. DS1 has the oxo sprout - it's over £200 but we got it for £150. He used it from 5months and it's now converted to just a chair that he can sit at the table in (he's 3) and is at the perfect height for eating/ crafts / drawing etc. Ds2 has the ikea one. I'd have stuck with the ikea on for ds1 but he used to bang his head on the back when he was really young in it and hubby wasn't happy. IKEA have now addressed the problem and the insert has a head rest whereas it didn't used to.

I've had 2 highchairs...

The first was a Cosatto something or over! All singing all dancing, various recline and height positions as well as removable tray(with an insert as well) and it also had a 5 point harness.

It was great when my babies were wee so they could be part of dinner before they were eating, and also my little boy was a bit wobbly sitting until around 8 months so it was good to have the support. However, it was a total nightmare to clean and also even though it folded down it still took up LOADS of space.

We then bought an ikea one, which I have to agree is bloody brilliant. It's suuuuuper easy to clean....and always looks clean as well?! My other one stained super bad as soon as a tomato based sauce hit it. It's not that supportive and it has a low back and just a lap belt though so obviously it wouldn't be suitable to use before baby was ready to be up at the table eating really. It is so cheap though that I was seriously recommend having one anyway cos by the time you are a couple of months into weaning you will be soooooooo fed up cleaning highchairs and the ikea one is just so easy!x

Wow. Lots of appraisal for the Ikea one. interesting to know that they are probably better for when they are a bit older though. space isn't really a factor. We have a separate dining room the high chair would live in. it will double as a play room for arts and crafts once lo is a bit older. Never realised there was reclining chairs... probably no necessary, but the harness is definately going to be important at this stage.

We've used the ikea one since 6 months and it's been fine, there's a blow up insert you can use for smaller babies and it supports my lo really well xx

I have the Mamas and Papas pesto pear too and we're really happy with it.

The ikea one is good too as most restaurants seem to have it.

The big differences between the pesto pear and the ikea ones are that the tray can't be moved in and out depending on the size of your baby whereas the PP can. The PP supports the whole back / head so it's good for younger babies and is nice and padded.

Also the PP can have the height adjusted to make it more like a chair when your LO is a toddler x

Love the ikea one. DS started using it from 5 months with the blow up pillow. DD used it until she was 3 and then it started getting a bit small for her but she is large for her age. We ended up getting two for our house, 2 for my parents house and one for the inlaws house!

I love the ikea ones, we have one in MILs house for him. But at home we have a polly one. It reclines. He's 15 months now and the recline has been great for if he wants a nap after a meal. He naps really well in it haha!

We've got two. Cosatto noodle supa - a great high chair with lots of adjustable bits including height but it is an absolute nightmare to clean- so many nooks, it needs a deep clean once a week as wiping alone does not keep it to the standard k want.

We also have the ikea highchair with the insert. I've been using it with my 6 month old and I can't fault it. So much easier to clean and she loves sitting in it. Brilliant price too

We have a baby bjorn one, expensive but for how much it gets used it was an investment. Absolutely love it and lasts up to 3 I think. All plastic and no harness to get messy (it secures using the table). Top of table clips off to wash. You can push the table up to their tummies so no food covering lap afterwards which is what I'd found with other highchairs, IKEA included. Maybe not a problem for some but I hated the mass clear up! IKEA one Would be a good choice though.

I had a huge graco one looked great but harvested food in the creases and the basket below was just another breeding ground of germs!

Second time round got the lkea one (literally perfect & so easy to clean) I bought the inflatable insert too which is easy to wash.

I also have a munchkin chair which clips across the back and under a chair easy to keep clean comes with the tray and I take it away just goes in the car. Xx

I use the same as LucyBoo :) I love my one and so does my little madam :)

Ikea Antilop all the way - I used the inflatable insert when E was little which eliminated the gap between her and the tray. The tray and legs come off for easy cleaning and transport.

If money wasn't an option, I'd buy the baby bjorn one. The design makes it even easier to clean and baby is nice and snug at any age.

I've had a few but totally love the ikea one as so easy to clean. I'd personally avoid one with padding inside as they are a nightmare to clean, particularly if you are planning to do BLW. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back