The dreaded B word

sasswa

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

After weeks of thinking I'm ok and wow, this pregnancy thing happened too quick, well I just don't know now and am in the panic and worry stakes that a few of you have already been through.

Yesterday (Sun), went to the ladies (we were out and about) and had some spotting but only after a wipe. I'd read that everyone had had brownish discharge but mine has been red. Got home to bed in the afternoon (teary and worried).

Last night the cramping started although I have really only had cramps at night, so thought that it can't be anything nasty. Had a restless night sleep, sore tummy.

Got up this morning and thought, if I'm still bleeding I'm not going in to work and need to get this checked out. The bleed was like the beginning of a period this morning. As you can imagine, I'm thinking the worst.

Called NHS Direct. They suggested I speak with my GP this morning. I called and spoke to the GP and he is concerned. He's trying to get me into having an ultrasound for tomorrow or Wed but won't know until around lunchtime. I'm cramping terribly today and my back hurts too.

What annoys me is that I had been told initially that you won't be placed in contact with a midwife etc until they contact you around the 10 - 12 week mark when you go for your first scan. Considering that the majority of miscarriages occur before 20 weeks, you'd think that more care or support would be available for pregnant women - I know thousands get pregnant every day but it is as individual as someone's fingerprints!

I'll keep you posted.

Sass

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time of it, fingers crossed for you.

I saw my midwife at 5 weeks and again and 10 weeks, so don't know why you've been told you wont see one until your first scan. Although when I started bleeding at 6 weeks it was my GP I contacted.

Thanks Rosieroo.

It just makes me so angry. When I saw the GP initially to confirm that I was pregnant (this is approx 3-4 weeks ago now) he said he'd contact the hospital and midwifery team and then I'll hear from them. But, what do you do in the meantime. I mean I guess all I could really do was what I have done.....NHS and then GP.

I'm really keen for the ultrasound but at the same time I'm relatively nervous.

S

Maybe I am lucky because my midwife visits my GP's surgery twice a week so when I had my doctors pg test result back I asked the doc when I would see her and he put me through to reception to make an appointment.

I was scared senseless about my ultrasound, was sure after all the nightmare stories I'd heard I was going to be told the baby had died, but all was fine and he or she was waving their little arms and legs about.

I know exactly what you mean- I didn't see my midwife until I was 11 weeks gone- by that time all of the advice about eating, avoiding certain things etc was pretty late- I mean as far as I can tell you've got to be especially careful with stuff like this in the first trimester as the baby is forming everything. Without places like this and a good old Google search I would have been lost! Since then the care has been really good but I think it's a bit poor that they don't have us in at least once at the beginning to tell us what to expect and what to look out for even if they can't do much about it. I mean some of it like not drinking or smoking I knew but not stuff like not eating nuts or unpasteurized cheeses etc. I would have thought that you need more reassurance at that stage rather than less and I did feel rather last at sea too. I'd write a stinky letter if I knew who to write to! (Maybe the Health Minister, Maybe Minister for Women- anyone?) All it would take would be one or two appointments in the first trimester and we'd all be a bit happier I think.

I hope it all goes well for you- good luck at the scan

+++

Sarah,
I do know how you must be feeling but try to keep calm.
My doctor said that 15% of pregnancies involve bleeding and that most of those go on to have perfectly healthy babies.
Any bleeding is scary so you are doing the right thing in getting it checked out.
I had an ultrasound as you know. It's totally painless and at least you find out exactly what's happening and there's no more guessing games in your head which can drive you mad.
Wishing you loads of luck and love.
Let us know how you get on.
Lucyx

Thanks guys.

My GP has been awesome today. Ringing to see how I'm going etc. Quite funny really as my usual doc is on holidays which I found out when I rang first thing this morning. The other doc has actually been fantastic.

I am booked in tomorrow morning at 9am. Hubbie has taken the day off to be with me - came home for lunch as isn't going back. He won't go in tomorrow either he said so that's great. He has said that he'd like to ask them questions etc about trying again as soon as possible if the worst happens. Bless him....

This website is the best though - particularly being in the first trimester. As you say, we are left pretty much to our own devices at this time and I thought that this was the most crucial time of it's development!

Will let you know how it all goes. My pessimism is still there but I'm slowly trying to feel more positive. I know we can always try again and I KNOW that one day I'll have a lovely baby as part of our family.

Cheers,

Sass
xxx

Hi... I tooo had the cramps what u had,,, my midwife was on hol so I could not ring her.. I rang my gp surgery last mon and they got me an emergency scan for the wed ( had to wait to agonising days) I was 15 1/2 weeks I was bleeding real bad and cramping too, when I went for the ultra sound it wa s horrible I thought my baby had died to as plain as day I could see on the screen, my baby is fine... I hope yours is too. take care and good luck at the scan...
fancy a chat on the new instant messenger forum?
Love Danielle and Bubble xx

Dani,

I've been trying to get on there but it's not allowing me in. Password wrong - when it's not. Very strange. I'll try again later.

Sass

Hi,

you have to create a new name and password (although I just used my own) this might be why it won't let you on. I'm posting sneakily from work so can't join you right now!

+++

Hope everthing settles down Sass, I know how agonising the waiting for scans is when your are this early.

I was not due to see my Midwife utill I would have been 10 weeks - which is still another week away! Given my history of m/c I had my first midwife appt when I was 6 and a half weeks. Maybe I only got one this early coz of my history though - else I would still have another week to wait before I met him (the midwife).

Hi everyone,

New Chat Room software (FlashChat) has just been installed this evening (fresh and eagerly waiting to be tested!) - see this topic for more info.

Best wishes,
Laura B

HI Sass

Know you will be a Doctors now. Hope everything goes ok for you. I bled a very tiny amount from 7 weeks up to 12 weeks & as you can imagine I thought the worst. I think its more common than people realise.

I had a scan at 9 weeks because of it, and everything was absolutely fine.

Keeping everything crossed for you

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi ladies,

I'm still in shock but ok so thought I'd better let you know.

I miscarried this morning. I miss him/her terribly.

Was absolute agony yesterday and bleed was getting worse. Awoke this morning and there was no blood so was thinking positive. Half-hour later, it just was flowing and so decided to have shower prior to appointment. That's when I saw the tissue hit the bottom of the shower. OH came and helped me - awful to say but we're glad we got to see it before knowing for certain and having anything invasive done.

Ultrasound confirmed it and we had some counselling. To be honest, I'm in two minds for trying again - I don't know. I just want to go home - Australia.

I thank you all for your support and it saddens me also that I won't be sharing the great joy we would have experienced together in February.

Thanks,

Sass
x

Awww babe I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how sh*t a time you are going through right now. :cry: i can only hope things get easier for you soon sweetheart. Talk to your partner about how you are both feeling, it does help.

Thinking of you at this terrible time hun.

xxxx

Aww Sass

Totally gutted for you.

You take it easy & we are all here for you when you are feeling up to it.

Love Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sass, I've left you a message on another thread but just to say again how very sorry I am.
I'm here if you need me and thinking of you.
Lucy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back