The council house saga - again!

Amanda

Reaction score
As you no doubt know from all of my moaning, we are stuck in a tiny 2 bed flat which is for over 55's and has a converted disability shower. We have tried everything to get moved to something more suitable, but are now resigned to the fact that we will be here for a while. They have told us 9 months, and we have already been here 2 and a half months, so are a quarter of the way through. :D

Well, get this. Had a knock on the door just now. 2 guys from a company contracted to the council to do an inspection on the kitchen and bathroom. I had a letter about this last week so was expecting it. What I wasn't expecting is that we will now be getting a new kitchen! :shock:

They aren't doing much in the bathroom as it is converted, except they will be replacing the taps, light fitting, and putting an extractor fan in. Great news as the taps are half inch thick with limescale and I've tried chiselling it off but it won't budge. The light is really wierd and I haven't been able to find a fitting to put on it, so we have a bare bulb. And the window doesn't open properly so it is always full of condensation.

Then we went onto the kitchen, and they immediately nodded and said 'Oh yes, new kitchen'. I explained that we were only here temporarily, but they said as we are the current tenants, they will design for us! :shock: It is a small kitchen and we removed some worktop and a cupboard when we moved in so we could fit the dishwasher, tumbledryer and washing machine. They have said they will ensure they all fit in, and suggested moving the washer to the other side to give us more room. The designer is coming next Tuesday, then it should all be done before Xmas! We're having new cupboards, worktops, light fittings, floor (he actually wrote naff lino on his checksheet! :rotfl: ) the walls decorated, and all to my taste! I get to choose it all!! :shock: :rotfl:

Then it'll be fitted and they'll move us the next week - you just know it!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well at least you get to cook in a cool kitchen for a while! Even if they do move you a week later :lol:
Can they really not put a bath in instead of a shower though? It's a shame if they can't. A friend of mine had her council temporary student flat with 2 shower rooms converted so that she had a bath in one, but they had to change the door hinges too so that you could get into the room :lol: She had 2 kiddies, both under 5.

Sami said:
Well at least you get to cook in a cool kitchen for a while! Even if they do move you a week later :lol:
Can they really not put a bath in instead of a shower though? It's a shame if they can't. A friend of mine had her council temporary student flat with 2 shower rooms converted so that she had a bath in one, but they had to change the door hinges too so that you could get into the room :lol: She had 2 kiddies, both under 5.

Possibly. :? I actually missed a visit from the inspector when we were at the hospital yesterday. There was a leak in the pump and it's caused the wooden box around it to get wet, which in turn has caused some of the tiles to fall off. So at the minute, I have taped binbags onto the box to keep it waterproof!! :rotfl: The last bloke to come said that they may find it more cost-effective to pull the pump out and replace it with a bath. So you never know! :pray:

That is great news hun,the council have recently started the kitchens round near where i live and the choice is great you can have granite worktops and beech units and chrome handles,i can't wait till they do mine,wont be for a while though :D xx

Wow, thats great!!

At least it'll make it a bit nicer for you until you get somewhere new!

Our house has a new council kitchen in and its nice but the workmen put the cupboard doors on the wrong way :lol:

ooh get one of those ironing board fixed into the cupboard thingies - they are very cool!!!

missac said:
ooh get one of those ironing board fixed into the cupboard thingies - they are very cool!!!

?? What???

The design blokey has just left, and this is my new kitchen!! :dance:

scan-1.jpg

This is what it looks like now (ignore the clutter!!)
This is the right of the picture
PB140015.jpg

This is the top left of the picture
PB140014.jpg

This is the bottom left of the picture
PB140013.jpg

Basically, what is changing from the old one is:

There is a full-length cupboard to the right of the door. That's coming out, and a small cupboard and drawer going in. Currently the worktop stops above the washer, so that's being extended to cover the dishwasher and new cupboard. There will be 4 wall cupboards above this, currently there are none. The tumble dryer will be moving, as will the fridge-freezer, then 3 new wall cupboards can be put in with another floor cupboard and more worktop! He had asked me what I wanted and I told him more worktop space and more cupboard space and he has done it!! :cheer:

I'm being contacted next week so I can choose colours of cupboards, worktops, handles, etc. I even get new flooring and they will take off the magnolia woodchip and decorate that as well!! :cheer: I won't want to move!!!! :rotfl:

Your new kitchen looks like it will be great!

Fantastic news! :D

the ironing board pulls out from the drawer and is fixed saves space and stuff, I have seen them in those telly programs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back