telling family

toriaw

Reaction score
this is a long one...

OK, my boyfriend Jon used to be engaged to my sister and the two of them have an almost 2 year old son. It's been about 2 years now since me and him first met, and we fell in love pretty quickly but we only started dating at the end of January this year since it's obviously complicated...

I think that my family have pretty much forgiven me, and my sister has I guess come round to the idea.

just 2 months after revealing everything to my family, I get pregnant. I found out at Easter. I really don't know how to tell them. I feel like they are just about getting used to the idea of Jon and I being a proper couple and then something this massive happens. If I'd have gotten pregnant a couple of years down the line then I think it would have been okay and we would have told my family more or less straight away but this is so sudden.

Jon's parents and his sister already know because they're a lot more laidback about the entire situation. I can understand why my family are not, but the thing is that I want them to know before me and Jon start telling workfriends/acquaintances etc. It's my family and I honestly would want them to know before anyone else in an ideal world but I really don't know how I can get it out.

I'm looking to tell them this month so then they have half a year to get round to the idea of me having a child.

I know that I'll find a way and I really need to just accept the fact that they probably aren't going to support it or be happy (straight away, at least) but if anyone knows how I can tell them I'd appreciate any ideas?

Also, I'd like Jon to be there when I tell them :)

thank you, anyone x

Hey hun,

Very difficult situation you're in and I honestly don't know what advice to give you apart from just being straight and honest with them. By the sounds of it, there's going to be some arguments coming up and fallings out but at the end of the day i'd explain to them that you want them to be the first to know and that you understand if they're not happy about it, but whatever happens that you're having the baby, you're both very happy and want your family to be involved as much as possible and then leave it in their hands to decide how they react. If it's not for the best then i'm sure they'll eventually come round but don't get your hopes up that everything's going to be smooth in the next few weeks

Good luck hun xxxxx

There is no way around this one! Even if you wait to tell them they can work out when you conceived so you may as well do it sooner rather than later. I think being straight and to the point will be the best option xxx

i feel for you honey, ive had a bad time with my OH's family as we were married, then divorced, my desicion and 3 years later have got back together and are very happy, my family have been great and are happy for us but becuse of all the hurt OH family hate me wont speak to me or come to the house when im there and went balistic at the news of my pregnancy, they even wrote on my kids facebook wall slagging me off, its his brother mainly and he's in his 40's and has no kids.

id tell them straight and say how happy you both are and this is what you want. they can be as angry as they like but it wont change anything and if they have excepted you as a couple then maybe they knew this would happen at some point.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back