Teething advice and crying out in sleep

skatty

Reaction score
My poor Leorah is really suffering with teething and I have to ask some questions.

1) Is it normal for painful episodes to happen at the same time of day? Leorah isn't too bad in the morning but come the afternoon we have a couple of very upsetting periods where I can do nothing to console her. She doesn't seem to understand biting down on the teething ring will help and just gets more and more upset. She will bite down on my finger but often gets too upset to be able to do it.

2) Twice last night and while she was having a nap (amazing as she hasn't been able to nap!) she starts crying and screaming. The first time it happened I rushed in and took her out of the cot but she was fast asleep. Has anyone experienced this?

3) Last night she was grabbing her ears while in pain, do you think she could have an ear infection or do babies just do this when distressed?

4) Tomorrow I have a mother and baby group in the afternoon where I'll be meeting 4 new mums and their babies. Going on Leorah's behaviour the last week or so she generally is very unsettled during the afternoon. I don't think I want to go but my DH tells me everyone will understand that she's teething but I think its best for us to be home. What do you think?

I'd really appreciate some advice, TIA, Katt :hug:

Aww I really do feel for you hun! Arianna cut her first tooth a little over a week ago and she was exactly the same!!

She would not chew on a teething ring but someone suggested on here (sorry cant remember who!!) to cut cucumber into strips and freeze them - Arianna loved chewing on them and it did seem to calm her.

Other things I did was a wet cold flannel to chew on and also Ashton & Parson Powders helped at night (I'd give her some just before she went down to sleep)

About grabbing the ears - Arianna has always done this since she was born - her ears get grabbed if she's sleepy or away to have a proper strop about something!!

S. xx

Thanks sarah :hug:

I did give Leorah some frozen pear in a babysafe feeder and she loved it! I'm not sure if its ok as she is a bit young but the poor lamb needs some relief! I tried freezing the corner of a muslin cloth but she didn't like this either.

I have tried the A&P powders but wasn't sure they were making any difference but i'll try again tonight.

Leorah has never grabbed her ears when she's stressed she usually just clenches her fists and screams. I have been reading on the net that babies can get ear infections while teething so I'll get it checked just in case.

Thanks again :hug:

Sorry I have no advise but I just wanted to say that I hope Leorah feels better soon :hug:

Thank you she is asleep now but seems really bad tonight. She starts feeding and ends up screaming. I have never seen her like this and am wondering if its something else not teething. We called the out of hours doc and apparantley there is a wait of hours so he said give her baby paracetomel but I did this 2 hoours agio and it made no difference.

I hate seeing her so upset :cry:

oh no :( poor Leorah, all you can do is wait for the docs, i think its deffo a good idea as you've been worried about your little princess for a bit over teething, this will set your mind at rest & also docs always have good sometimes old-fashioned advise to give.
i always ask midwife/HV/docs for advise even though Louie is my 3rd!

good luck & plz let us know ASAP after doc has been.
you poor thing :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi,

I'd get it checked out if you're worried but what you described sounds exactly like teething- Mel grabs his ears too, I think the jaw hurts and it radiates upwards. He cut his first and second at 7 months, the top four at 8 months (4 came through in one week- it was a bad month!) and has only just had another 2 come through, one of which is still only half through. He is older now but is acting much the same as your little one, he is much worse in the afternoon or when he's tired or bored as I think that distraction takes their minds off it. He has done the waking screaming thing too and this time he is right off all his food too. It's difficult as apart from painkillers and teething aids there's not much you can do. I found those Bickiepegs you can get in the chemists were brilliant with his first 6 teeth but other babies don't seem to find them helpful but it's probably worth a go. Medised is king in our house as it also has a drowsy decongestant in it which clears his runny nose and helps him sleep so you might try that if you haven't already.

Hope she's ok and that if it's just teething those pesky teeth turn up soon
+++

aaah bless her, hope u both manage to get some kip tonight katt!!
Jamie gets irritable in the evenin too, typical isnt it!!

Thank you everyone. i think I am being a paranoid Mum but am going to the doc in the morning just in case. Leorah eventually had 4oz of EBM and is in bed asleep with a full dose of medised (I only give her a half dose usually). She even smiled a bit after napping so i feel a lot happier.

I am not sure she is old enough for biccipegs, she will be 4 months on the 5th Feb. I can't get them here anyway but will have a look when I'm in London next month. Thanks everyone :hug: :hug: :hug:

hope Leorah &u!! get a good night sleep.
good luck, Louie is fast assleep too (at the moment anyway :roll: )
as for the bicipegs i don't know what age they are allowed them, someone else probably will.
:hug: :hug: :sleep: :sleep:

Aww Katt, poor Leorah. It is so horrible to see them in pain.

Gabriella claws at her ear and her face but I put this down to her eczema...... hmmm I wonder now! Medised and A & P definitely help Gabriella; she has been waking twice (sometimes 3 times) in the night.

I hope all goes ok at the doctors tomorrow. You are not a paranoid Mum, you are a brilliant Mum and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hope she feels better soon :hug:

oh skatty poor you and leorah it is hard hearing them in pain. how did she sleep? anybetter? :hug: :hug: :hug:

I gave Leorah a full dose of medised last night and she sleptfrom 9pm until 6am and then went back to sleep until 7.30am :cheer:

We saw the doc this morning and she has an upper respiratory infection which puts pressure on the ears as well as referred pain from the teething. She's allowed to bite on a carrot for the teething. He also said to give her regular doses of infant paracetomel and if it makes her sleep it will be what she needs.

I feel much happier now I know what's wrong, thank you all for your advice and for caring :hug: :hug: :hug:

skatty said:
2) Twice last night and while she was having a nap (amazing as she hasn't been able to nap!) she starts crying and screaming. The first time it happened I rushed in and took her out of the cot but she was fast asleep. Has anyone experienced this?

Stanley did this a week or two ago and I thought maybe he was having a nightmare. It's really scary how they just let rip though isn't it? :shock:

In retrospect it probably was his teeth as he cut his first at the weekend. Hugs to Leorah Diva, hope she's better soon xxxxxx

Hi hun, Harley is just the same at the moment its a night mare :wall:

on real bad nights when he wont settle i give him 5ml of medised then a hour later 2.5ml of calprofen it works a treat. i didnt no you could mix them but the doc adviced me to d this. as the calprofen helps with the inflamation in the gums and is great for tackeling ear ach and the medised helps them sleep.

in the day i give Harley a cold wet flannel he will chop on it for hours and its easy to hold he dont drop it all the time.

I know you all might think im nuts, but this is exactly how tia has been the past 2 days. If my hands and fingers are anywhere near her mouth she pulls them to her and really nags at them so much so she was chomping on my arm the other day and left gum marks it really hurt. And the amount of dribble she is producing you wouldnt believe. But shes only 9 weeks so cant be can it? She also just lays there and screams out and i run up to her only to find her flat out, and i know its not wind or that shes poorly cos i took her to the docs just incase. My eldest son got his first tooth just before 3 months he was very early. xxxx Sorry nearly forgot i hope all the babies feel better soon and this horrible phase passes quickly for them all :hug: :hug: xx

Some babies are born with teeth though Kayzee! :lol:

Stanley started this at 8 weeks, it can last ages before the tooth comes through but if your son was early it stands a chance Tia will be too.

Bless her cottons :D

About the bicciepegs - it does say 6mths but my HV said to start at 4mths as there is nothing harmful in them.

And I got mine in Asda if thats any help

S. xx

We also have the bicciepegs and Mia loves chomping on them (my mum sent ours over from boots)

Mia's also teething at the mo we can see her tooth, but we are just waiting for it to break the skin. She's so unsettled and nothing seems to be right....so i know how you feel....hope little Leorah feels better soon.

Amy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back