Teeth - having a freak out pls help!!

Applecider

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok ur probably gonna say what is this bird on about but my brother as lovely as he his has been round and told me about this methyl mercury thats in our food (tuna, swordfish etc) but also in our fillings in our teeth. I have loads, must have about 10 by now. although my teeth my look alreight they are being held up by mercury fillings big metal mouth :eh::eh::eh:

I was wondering if anyone else has had kids/having and has this also. Is there a place you can get tested for this? Im going to do some research on this....... What does methyl mercury cause? xx

PS i kno i sound like a faffer and yes im a massive worrier but only trying to do the best for a lil one. I'd give everything to make sure my baby is born healthy. I mean everyhting as im sure all u lot would.

I dont believe this will have any effect! Surely not, almost everyone had metal fillings until the last 30 or so years, and babies were fine

hope so stella, I found this:

Mercury from a mothers amalgam fillings has a pathological effect on the development of her foetus and if the baby is breast fed, the baby after it is born as well.
It takes two days for the mercury from a newly placed amalgam filling to be deposited in the foetus. Maternal milk concentrates the mercury so its level is 4 to 8 times higher than in the blood (32).
Mercury passes through the placenta unhindered (33). One function of the placenta is to prevent toxic material from the mother injuring the foetus. Mercury is so biologically active that the placenta presents no barrier to it. Mercury and Cadmium were found to be factors in reducing foetal nutrition to a degree that death, congenital abnormalities or growth ******ation in the baby were possible (34). This work was confirmed by other research (35). Mercury vapour, as given off by amalgam fillings, is absorbed up to 50 times more in the foetus than any other form of mercury (36). Also inorganic mercury i.e. from amalgams, was 12 times more likely to go through a placenta than organic mercury from food (37). Indeed mercury from food like fish does not increase the foetal mercury level (38). This means that the developing baby absorbs more mercury from its mothers amalgam fillings, better called mercury implants, than from anywhere else.
Alcohol increases the absorption of mercury vapour depositing the mercury in the mothers thyroid and in the thyroid and liver of the foetus (39). This means that mothers who drink alcohol during pregnancy increase the amount of mercury deposited in the unborn child from their own amalgam fillings.
So it is clear that mercury from amalgam is deposited in the foetus, but how much damage does it cause?
During pregnancy the levels of mercury in the mother rises by nearly 50%. The number of still births as well as birth defects have a direct correlation to the level of mercury (40). This effect has been known for some time (41).
Mercury also damages the blood brain barrier (42). It can even enter the brain directly from amalgam by-passing the blood brain barrier and infiltrating the nerve cells (43). This means that the brain is prevented from absorbing the vital nutrients needed for full and proper development. Very small amounts of mercury, less than one part per million, cause this effect (44). The enormous consequences of this will be made clear.
Low doses of mercury cause reduced learning capacity in direct relation to the mercury dose. The higher the amount of mercury absorbed, the more the learning capacity was reduced. The mother with an average number of amalgam fillings absorbs more mercury into her and her babies body on a daily basis than was used in these experiments. These results were confirmed by two animal experiments and the changes were permanent (45). The research subjects exhibited marked hyperactive behaviour.
Mercury reduces the intelligence of the child, the higher the mercury level, the lower the intelligence (46). It gets worse, lead and mercury act synergistically, this means that together they have a greater effect than the same levels do alone. Lead also reduces intelligence and is present in our environment.
Mercury from amalgam fillings of the mother can decrease a childs intelligence, reduce his or her learning capacity and make them hyperactive.

As mercury is absorbed into the brain and central nervous system throughout the development of the baby this can result in functional disturbances and behavioural alterations later in life (47).
Statistics show us that 2 to 3% of children have defects that are seen within the first year of life (48). 16% have physical or mental defects that only become apparent later in life. Abolition of mercury implant fillings should reduce these high numbers

This is from the FDA - feeling a bit better

There is limited clinical information about the potential effects of dental amalgam fillings on pregnant women and their developing fetuses, and on children under the age of 6, including breastfed infants. However, the estimated amount of mercury in breast milk attributable to dental amalgam is low and falls well below general levels for oral intake that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considers safe. FDA concludes that the existing data support a finding that infants are not at risk for adverse health effects from the breast milk of women exposed to mercury vapor from dental amalgam. The estimated daily dose of mercury vapor in children under age 6 with dental amalgams is also expected to be at or below levels that the EPA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) consider safe. Pregnant or nursing mothers and parents with young children should talk with their dentists if they have concerns about dental amalgam.

Penny Lancaster was on thismorning a few months ago talking about her three failed ivf attempts being down to mercury. I think she was talking more about it being in fish, but she stopped having the fish, her mercury levels went down and she got pregnant, so their must be some truth in it. If you can't do anything about the fillings, just make sure you don't eat too much fish and it might counter balance it x

Hiya...the fillings u've got won't cause any damage-mine need replacin but my dentist is gonna wait til march b4 she takes the old 1's out due to the mercury content. If u need a fillin whilst pregnant then theyl usually put a temporary fillin in instead xx

I read something about this related to eating too much tuna xxxx

If your fillings are firmly in place, leave them there, this worried me so I chatted to a friend who is a dentist, he said that it's worse to remove them as during removal of amalgam fillings, the filing makes small particles of it and you can inhale them, thus upping your mercury ingestion. If they are coming loose, get them replaced but it does cost more for the white fillings.

Thanks for all ur comments I contacted dentist and he said that u can get mercury vapors but nothing massive to effect ur child, probably get more in fish this would only occur if you (like you said) have them taken out and particles would definatley be inhaled.

I think I am going to avoid fish when pregnant and take the omega 3 in pregnacare and maybe have the odd bit of cooked salmon - wild alaskan is meant to be the best but not sure where to get that!!!

I was really getting worried my mouth is full of them!!! xx

I have plenty of fillings and none of them are mercury. They are tooth coloured, a composite resin I think. Cosmetically they look better and my dentist wouldn't use anything else but he's a funny wee man anyway. Like the girls said I wouldn't have them replaced or a new amalgam one put in while preggers but they should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back