teats for use with Gaviscon/reflux

Minxy

Reaction score
Girls, Stanley and I are exhausted :(

LO had a choking fit last night around 9 after throwing his whole bottle back (as is becoming the norm) and it scared the bejaysus out of me :shock:

On the advice of doctors took him straight to A and E where they (eventually at 5AM :evil: !) admitted him.

He has mild reflux, common problem I've been led to understand, and prescribed Gaviscon. Problem is it makes his feeds so thick his teats aren't letting it through. And Stanley is a lazy boy who just don't wanna work that hard :D

Has anyone else been on this? How did you find feeding? What teats did you use?

BTW, we are back home now, and feeling OK, just tired :bored: :sleep: :)

oh bless him sounds awful
i dont know wot bottles u r using but if there advent could u try going on to the next flow teats? sorry only use advents so fdont know bout other bottles
hope this helps

They are Avents, cheers Sarah. may try that. Think he'd be ok cause they say 3months plus??

they should be as u sed there thicker so the flow should be slow its worth a try i reckon

Hiya
Sorry to here Stanley is suffering a bit :(

Damien has bad reflux and Sami uses Dr Browns bottles

pr-Bottles-Handicraft_Dr_Brown_s_Natural_Flow_Starter_Set_for_Babies-resized200.gif

They are supposed to be really good for colic and reflux, as the tube in the middle takes the air bubbles away to the end of the bottle so they can't swallow them.

Not sure what teats she uses though.

Hope he gets better soon.

xxx

Rebecca has reflux, and had Dr Browns bottles too, until she was put on infant gaviscon and SMA Staydown. The reason being the milk became to thick and didn't flow through the Dr Browns bottles. It was a pain in the ass, have 9 almost brand new Dr B's bottles going to get chucked out as they are no use! :twisted:

Charlie has reflux and he suffered with bad stomach cramps with the Gaviscon so we changed his milk to SMA Staydown and use Avent No.3 teats as the variflow are rubbish and just let too much milk through even on the so called slow setting...he just used to drown in milk. Charlie was using Medium flow teats near enough from birth as he was a good sucker but used to get tired very easy and give up so we changed and had no problems.
SMA Staydown is available on prescription and we actually bought a tin from Boots to try and then went to our Health Visitor who arranged a repeat prescription with our GP. Only downside to the SMA is that it can make them constipated so we cheat and give Charlie a bottle of C&G Comfort as his first bottle then SMA for the rest of the day and it keeps him regular!!! Only other thing with the SMA (sorry to waffle on) is that you need to make it as per the instructions otherwise it can become lumpy and blocks the teats.

Arianna has reflux and I use the gavescon but we are still managing on teat 1?

I also just bought bottles the other day (Boots own) they are exactly the same as Dr Browns but half the price and they seem to be helping

S. xx

Thanks for all your advice, seems to be a case of trial and error!

Stanley is only bringing back the occasional bottle now. We've been using infa-col and he's bringing his wind up easier which helps. Might try and get some of that SMA staydown though. Particularly if it's on free prescription! :)

Aimee is still on gaviscon and she is nearly 9 months old now :roll: wait till they throw the solids up ! YUK :puke:

It is horrible and hard work but it will get easier. I would just up the teat size if your having probs. I never really had much of a problem as Aimee sucks really hard. Dr Brown are good though

Sorry I missed this!

Gaviscon is okie, doesn't always work, how is it going now?

Cow and Gate Omneo Comfort is great, so is SMA Staydown (which can be given free on prescription, woohoo!) but its a bugger to mix and you sometimes have to strain it. With the thickened milks they are sometimes easier given from a 'normal' wide necked bottle, I use the Tommee Tippee wide neck ones now with level 3 teats.

You CAN'T use Gavison with thickened milk, it will more than likely upset their tummies because of the double thickening agents.

Oh and the solids Duds, don't get me started, my carpet is bloody orange :shock: I use a carpet cleaner every week, and have spongy mat down, but it still hits the patched which arent covered! :wall:

Be careful with the infacol aswell Minxy, it's orangy and acid and will sometimes make their reflux worse.

Reflux is a nightmare, hope LO grows out of it soon xxxx

Have deffed off the Gaviscon, didn't notice any difference to be honest.

Stanley is getting on great with the Comfort (although I'm suffering with the nappies :puke: ), we're having only one episode every day or two now.

He's just so much more settled, so hope he's growing out of it relatively quickly, bless him :pray:

Good job I'm still in maternity clothes since I'm usually covered in vom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back