Gaviscon makes the milk too thick?

shadow

Reaction score
My LO was diagnosed with reflux a while ago, and yesterday I managed to get a prescription for infant gaviscon.

I've added it to his bottle (as he's bottle fed), but I find it makes the milk really thick (he's on C+G comfort) that he cant get it out of the bottle! I bought new teats, variable flow ones, but it still doesnt seem to help.

Any one else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Also for any one who uses the infant gaviscon, how many times a day do you use it?

can't help with the bottle bit cos connor's booby fed...

but i've taken to being quite arbitrary with the dose of gaviscon he gets - i play it by ear depending on how bad his reflux was at the previous feed. if it was bad then he gets a double dose at the next feed, if it wasn't too bad i'll give him a single dose, and if he was fine i don't give him any at all. and he doesn't get it at nighttime when i feed him in bed with me - partly cos he never seems to need it then, and partly cos i like sleeping through his feeds and don't want to have to get up :oops: :oops:

i mix it in a cup with water and he drinks from the cup after feeding

:hug: :hug:

My lo is bottle fed too and she has gaviscon for reflux, we had a big problem with teat sizes too as she was falling asleep feeding as gaviscon made it too thick for her to get out, we now use dr browns bottles with size 3 teats and shes doing well on them. I give her gaviscon in every feed, she has 6 feeds a day. HOpe this helps.
You may be struggling more though because i think the comfort milk is already thicker to start with

i was told u couldnt add gaviscon to comfort milk ?

i use gaviscon in normal milk with a size 2 teat and get much better results then when on comfort milk

Luke had gaviscon for the first time last night and it was as thin as water. He has a dual sachet in 15ml of water. How comes it is so thick for you guys?

I never had any probs with the milk being too thick. I use SMA White and went back to 1 month + teats as we found they worked better and improved the reflux.

What bottles are you using? Advent have a treat that is for thicker liquids and you just turn the bottle round to change the flow when your lo is feeding. We tried them but stopped as our lo took the milk too fast.

DebbieM said:
He has a dual sachet in 15ml of water.

doesn't it have to be 30mls of water for both sachets? :think: please tell me i'm wrong and you're right cos i do struggle to get connor to drink 30ml from the cup... :D

purple13 said:
DebbieM said:

doesn't it have to be 30mls of water for both sachets? :think: please tell me i'm wrong and you're right cos i do struggle to get connor to drink 30ml from the cup... :D

Breast-fed infants: under 4.5kg (10lb) - 1 dose. Over 4.5kg - 2 doses. Add 5ml of cooled, boiled water to the powder in a glass. Mix to a smooth paste and add another 10ml of water to the mix. Give after each feed, using a spoon or feeding bottle.

I read that as 2 sachets plus 5ml water and mix to a paste and then add a further 10ml to it?

Hi
My daughter has gaviscon in every feed (bottle) for reflux.
I find that stirring in the gaviscon with a sterilised spoon instead of shaking it helps make it not so thick.
:)

G3M said:
i was told u couldnt add gaviscon to comfort milk ?

i use gaviscon in normal milk with a size 2 teat and get much better results then when on comfort milk

Is that true about the comfort mik? Any one else heard this? The GP didnt mention it but then she didnt ask what formula I was using.

NIE said:
I never had any probs with the milk being too thick. I use SMA White and went back to 1 month + teats as we found they worked better and improved the reflux.

What bottles are you using? Advent have a treat that is for thicker liquids and you just turn the bottle round to change the flow when your lo is feeding. We tried them but stopped as our lo took the milk too fast.

We are using tommee tippee anti colic plus bottles, but they are proving to be a bit of a nightmare as the extra section in the middle; the bottom bit comes of from the force of the milk when shaking as its so thick, and that makes the bottle leak!

i think its cos of the thickness of it , my friends babe is on comfort but takes rantadine not gaviscon in the milk .

comfort actually makes leland sicker , so we get on fine with normal formula ( hipp organic) and his now on 1 dual dose with 7 oz . his stil sick but no way near as much as he was !

DebbieM said:
purple13 said:
DebbieM said:

Breast-fed infants: under 4.5kg (10lb) - 1 dose. Over 4.5kg - 2 doses. Add 5ml of cooled, boiled water to the powder in a glass. Mix to a smooth paste and add another 10ml of water to the mix. Give after each feed, using a spoon or feeding bottle.

I read that as 2 sachets plus 5ml water and mix to a paste and then add a further 10ml to it?

Hmmm I read that as being the instructions to make up ONE dose, so would need double for 2 doses ie 30ml...have I been doing it wrong too? Although it probably doesnt matter too much when its going in on top of a tummy full of milk!

The gaviscon basicly thickens up the milk so its heavyer and stays in the stomach...

with the comfort milk, this is already done for you. So using gaviscon is redundant, because you have already covered that option.

Go back to your GP and tell them that he/she (appologies) is still bringing up their feed and demand they do soemthing else. I still cant get my GP to even realise what reflux is, never mind that my LO most probably has it. Useless.

Anyone else had more luck using normal milk with gaviscon in it, vs using comfort milks.. as this could be an idea for you... (and me..)

Well I treid the gaviscon in C+G No 2 (for hungrier babies) as we had a small amount left over from before we changed onto comfort; he was MUCH worse, screaming in pain after the feed and throwing up, he was absolutely screetching.

Changed straight back to striaght comfort for his next few feeds and he's better. Made me realise just how much better he's gotten since we changed him to the comfort formula, so I'll be sticking to that. He stick sicks up, and has the occasional sceaming fit, but no where near what it used to be like when he was on the nomral C+G.

Suppose its a case of seeing what works, and the Comfort forumla seems to be working best for us. :)

Mmmm I rmbr what it was like on normal milk...

Stick with what works for you. You did good changing the milk already :)

If you LO is still uncomfortable then dont hesitate to trundle him back to the dr's and see what they can do...

cos there is other stuff he can take that doesnt go in the milk so he could stay on comfort :D

Went back to the GP's today.

He told me to continue with the comfort milk, and then feed the gaviscon afterwards made up with water. He said the gaviscon floats on top of the milk, so when the baby sicks up, the gaviscon sticks to the side of the oesophogus (sp?) and stops so much sick coming up- he even drew me a picture; he was really nice.

But now I am way confused about how much water to add to the gaviscon- i was going to use 2 sachets as he over 10lbs, but I dont know whether to double up on the amount of water?

What do u guys do? I tried with the 30mls of water plus 2 sachets and its awfully thin, looks like normal water; plus it was a real struggle to get him to take an extra 30ml on top of a full belly of milk!

HELP??!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back