Teaching baby to drink from cup. Valve or no valve?

Tulips

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Our daughter is 8ish months old now, and has been breastfed all the while. The health visitor at the clinic has advised us to go directly over to the cup without going down the bottle route (which is fine really, as she never was to pleased with the bottle in the first place :-/ ). But she told me to let her learn using a cup without the non-spill valve. This is fine, although very messy! :)

Just wondering what your experiences have been when teaching baby to use a cup with or without using the non-spill valve? Would especially love to hear from some parents who did this without using this valve too :)

Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine!!

~Tulips and Ronja Alice X X X

I did a bit of both, I started without the valve so she got the idea that there was something in the cup and when she put the spout in her mouth she could drink from it. Yes it was messy but to start with her drinks were supervised anyway. As she got the hang of it I put the valve in and as she knew there was something in there she would suck it.

It took a few goes to get it sorted but she figured it out! There is some recommendation that you don't use a valve if you're giving juice but all I do is make sure the juice is diluted well (more than the 1:4 ratio the manufacturer suggests).

I dont use cups with the valves. I always found the cups with the valve to be very unsuccessfull. I used the tommee tippee flip and sip. A bit messy yes, but they get the hang of it. Till the start tipping it because its funny to watch you dashing round with paper towel. :roll:

Good luck

lauramumof2 said:
I dont use cups with the valves. I always found the cups with the valve to be very unsuccessfull. I used the tommee tippee flip and sip. A bit messy yes, but they get the hang of it. Till the start tipping it because its funny to watch you dashing round with paper towel. :roll:

Good luck

same!! i, myself found it hard to drink out the cups with the valves whats all the biting and sucking business about!! i didn't expect poor luke to get anything if i couldn't!!! so we also had the tommee tippy sippy cupand he still uses it to this day when we go out!

I found imogen got on ok with the valve but was lessfussy without it, so i chose the easy option :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back