Talking two languages to baby

Sylvie

Reaction score
I'm French native-speaker and my OH is English native-speaker (and doesn't speak French!) so Louis is hearing both languages. I tend to talk to him in French when I'm alone with him, but even then some words come out automatically in English as it's the language I'm now using every day. When his dad is around for some reason I always talk in English to Louis... I know it would be great if he could be bilingual (especially as we may move back to France in a few years' time) but I'm starting to wonder if he's not going to be confused when he's going to start talking :?
I'd like to hear of your experiences if you have any to share :wave:

You have to be pretty consistant with speaking languages. DH is the same as you he speaks Swedish with lil miss when he is alone with her, but when we are all together, because he is used to speaking English in the house, we just all speak English. However all our family live close by and the grandparents will ONLY speak their native languages with lil miss.. so she has no choice then.

The only thing I can imagine is that lil miss will take longer to speak Swedish than English... Well she already says a few words in English, will copy sounds (she was trying to say rattle today but only got as far as radooo :lol: ), but she can only say hello/goodbye in Swedish. She can mimic the Spanish words that come out of her musical toys though... so being exposed to so many languages certainly hasn't impaired lil miss... :D

Matilda is spoken too in 2 languages, I only speak in english and DH only speaks in Greek, apart from a few english friends everyone else speaks to her in Greek. She can understand both languages at the moment, if I, for example tell her to sit down in english, she will, she also understands DH saying the same sentance in greek. , she tends to say more english words at mo but that's because she's with me all day. I have been told that she may be slower to actually talk properly but not slower in understanding. If you start from a very young age it becomes second nature to them as they've never known any differant.

Ditto what tuck said. Starting from a very young age he'll grow up and be fine with both lagnuages. You are better starting now with French and talking to him when on your own. And even when his Daddy is around also. He'll pick things up fine. Might take a little longer with the French as no one else around him speaks it.

Generally children who are bilingual do really well in both languages and also find it easier to speak other languages when they are older.

I'd invest in some French childrens DVD's/CD's for babies and toddlers, along with some baby story books etc. Embrace the language with him.

I have nannied for a few familes where children spoke two languages growing up. All the kids spoke both languages really well by the time they went to school. One family started their kids off in a Dutch school and then moved them to an English speaking one when they were older. Didn't affect them in the least as they could read and write both languages. Had lessons at home in English and school was all Dutch.

And no, my son is not being brought up speaking another language. Unless you count Aussie speak :wink: I'd like to but its not my native tongue and I don't know how useful Dutch will be for him in the future ;)

I think it's a wonderful thing. OH speaks Dutch to Becky and I speak English. Though we don't see OH's family very often they speak Dutch when they see her. We keep to one parent, one language though I do sing Dutch songs with her and read her Dutch books.

One of my mum's neighbours (who is German) has raised her children bilingually - her DH is Scottish. Both children are fluent in both languages (they are 2 and 4) - they converse with mum in German, dad in English and with each other they use both interchangeably which is totally fascinating to listen to!

Parents who are bilingual or have two languages in the family worry about their childrens language. There is a great web site called "talk to your baby" from the national literacy trust that gives advice for parents where english may not be the first language. Its at http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/talktoyourbaby/Bilingual.html
The site also gives lots of useful info on encouraging language with all babies and children, I use it a lot at work.

Thanks 'DaddyChris', Just had a quick look at that site and it's quite interesting. Especially for me as I'm the one speaking a 'foreign' language as I live in Greece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back