taking toddlers abroad advice please?

rusks

Reaction score
Travel cots?

We are off to tuscany the end of the month for a week with luke, was just wandering if people have taken a travel cot abroad, we have a full size one which is 10kg so half one of our weight limits for the plane, luke won't sleep in a light pop up tent one and we are away for 7 days so i feel i need to take it, any advice?

we have to take so much stuff anyway even though he is 15 months now its amazing what you need to take.

Nappies and food

do you all take your own nappies etc and ?jars snacks the kids or is it readily available abroad?

any tips greatly appreciated, thanks lisa x

Will he sleep in the bubble cot....it's meant to last till they are 18 months and the same weight (3kg) as the pop up ones for smaller babies. It's what we take on our travels. Otherwise most hotels have them to use/hire etc while there.

Nappies/food - take a few days worth, you'll be able to buy stuff out there, take favourites if he's got any but own brands of food/nappies are out there so don't think you have to pack a whole suitcase of food/nappies/wipes etc. A few days worth, some essentials etc but don't pack crazily you'll find it all out there just different brands.

If you are staying in a hotel..I would contact the hotel and ask them if they provide a travel cot..most places do.

As for nappies and food..I always take my own abroad to last me the length of my stay... I avarage 5 nappies a day so when I went to Tenerife last week I took 40 nappies, just to be on the safe side.. also food, I take enough to last me the week.

we are staying in a villa but i may be able to sort out with the landlord hire of a cot thanks for advice. i don't think he would sleep in a bubble cot as he moves around a lot at night and they are not big enough for him, nic idea though thanks for trying x

I would definately try to get a cot through the landlord, but remember your own bedding.

Food I've bought abroad because of the restrictions in place taking meat/dairy into some countries, I'd check before you go incase it's confiscated at customs. I always take cereals, rice cakes, snacks etc in my suitcase. Are you breastfeeding/bottle feeding? I don't know if you planned to take formula but it's worthwhile in case you have trouble with the cows milk. Make sure you take plenty of water in your hand luggage so you've got something for LO to drink at all times in case of delays (for when you get off hte plane the other side and for the transfer to your villa).

If your LO has a seat on the plane then they have their own baggage allowance. If you're hiring a car or planning on using taxis don't forget to take your car seat as hire car seats are notoriously bad and you don't know if they've been in any accidents. Also remember to take adequate sun cover for your buggy in case it's hot, I've always found it hard work getting sunshades abroad.

When we went to Florida last month we didn't have a travel cot for the first night as the management company didn't have one available :shakehead: it was awful as DS was crawling all around the mattress on the floor we'd sorted out for him as he was so disorientated. He wouldn't have slept in a bubble one either.

Good luck and have a fab holiday :)

Kina said:
I would definately try to get a cot through the landlord, but remember your own bedding.

Food I've bought abroad because of the restrictions in place taking meat/dairy into some countries, I'd check before you go incase it's confiscated at customs. I always take cereals, rice cakes, snacks etc in my suitcase. Are you breastfeeding/bottle feeding? I don't know if you planned to take formula but it's worthwhile in case you have trouble with the cows milk. Make sure you take plenty of water in your hand luggage so you've got something for LO to drink at all times in case of delays (for when you get off hte plane the other side and for the transfer to your villa).

If your LO has a seat on the plane then they have their own baggage allowance. If you're hiring a car or planning on using taxis don't forget to take your car seat as hire car seats are notoriously bad and you don't know if they've been in any accidents. Also remember to take adequate sun cover for your buggy in case it's hot, I've always found it hard work getting sunshades abroad.

When we went to Florida last month we didn't have a travel cot for the first night as the management company didn't have one available :shakehead: it was awful as DS was crawling all around the mattress on the floor we'd sorted out for him as he was so disorientated. He wouldn't have slept in a bubble one either.

wow Kina you went to Florida you lucky thing! how did you entertain the little ones on such a long flight?
i'm worried about us going to Turkey next month & the flights only 4 hours compared to Florida thats nothing! plus i am scared of flying so i thik DH will be doing a lot of the entertaining as i'll hopefully be assleep after some medication!

I'm going with easy jet and Harrisons travel cot is allowed on free along with his buggy so i'd check with who your flying with cause it may be the same

I might be flying with BmiBaby soon and there is no charge for buggies and a 5kg weight allowence for baby items so have a look :)

Princess_Puddles said:
I'm going with easy jet and Harrisons travel cot is allowed on free along with his buggy so i'd check with who your flying with cause it may be the same

we are going with easy jet but when my hubby (sorry getting used to being married!! :lol: ) looked on their website it didn't mention about travel cots so we assumed that it would be part of ur own luggage - thanks mica i will have another look x

thanks for great advice never thought about taking sunshades for the car etc great tip, we have booked a car with car seat added we don't really intend to go to far in the car just to the supermarkets and back we are ataying in a great villa with fab facilities so we intend to relax there as much as possible.

rusks said:
Princess_Puddles said:

we are going with easy jet but when my hubby (sorry getting used to being married!! :lol: ) looked on their website it didn't mention about travel cots so we assumed that it would be part of ur own luggage - thanks mica i will have another look x

thanks for great advice never thought about taking sunshades for the car etc great tip, we have booked a car with car seat added we don't really intend to go to far in the car just to the supermarkets and back we are ataying in a great villa with fab facilities so we intend to relax there as much as possible.

Just to let you know here is what I found, incase you can't find it.

Q. Can I take my buggy/ pram/ travel cot into the cabin with me?

A. Please note that easyJet hand baggage regulations state that passengers are allowed to take onboard one piece of hand baggage. Although restrictions are being relaxed at some UK airports, easyJet will not consider changing its hand baggage policy until the rules and procedures at the majority of UK airports become clearer and more consistent.
Pushchairs, buggies, and travel cots can be taken right up to the aircraft steps and/or door, where they will be taken by cabin crew and stored in the hold. You can however check it in with your baggage at check-in, if you wish to do so. Full size, non-collapsible prams cannot be accepted for travel.Pushchairs, prams and travel cots do not form part of the baggage allowance and therefore no fee will be charged.
from here: http://*******.com/6orjjh

:clap: thanks mica you star

well thats problem sorted then!! no worries now - can't wait :dance: :cheer: :cheer:

foxymum said:
Kina said:

wow Kina you went to Florida you lucky thing! how did you entertain the little ones on such a long flight?
i'm worried about us going to Turkey next month & the flights only 4 hours compared to Florida thats nothing! plus i am scared of flying so i thik DH will be doing a lot of the entertaining as i'll hopefully be assleep after some medication!

It was hard work on the way out as DD didn't nap for the whole 8.5 hour flight, on the way back they both slept the whole journey :dance: I took lots of little toys and wrapped them up, when DD got bored I let her have one to unwrap. There were things like £1 sets of playdoh, colouring pencils, stickers, stampers and also lots of her favourite snacks. She enjoyed watching the kids channel on the flight aswell, it had things like Charlie and Lola. For DS he had some new books and napped for part of it, plus found a little mate at the back of the plane so they spent some time crawling around together lol.
We love going to Florida and this was DD's 3rd time (DSs 2nd), the past two visits have been paid for with tesco clubcard vouchers :dance: Hopefully we'll be going back again in November courtesy of Mr T :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back