Swimming with LO

Gemma & Jake

Reaction score
Me and OH are going to Jake swimming for the first time at the weekend. I was just wandering how long you keep your LO's in the pool until they have to get out because they are cold. I have got Jake disposable swim nappies and I am getting him a happy nappy so is this roughly what your LO wears in the pool? I know they sell baby wraps which are sleeveless and legless baby wetsuits but i'm not sure if this is necessary.

I'd suggest a wrap or suit from somewhere like http://www.splashabout.net/ otherwise it's recommended that they have no more than 30 minutes in the pool and have a towel on hand when you get out so your not walking from the pool to the changing area allowing cold air to surround baby type thing. Most pools have a warmer heated baby pool or try hospital swimming pools, those are heated better and public sessions are allowed at most sites, they use them for physiotherapy and the like so need to keep them at higher temperatures.

Hi gemma :wave:

We took tia swimming a few weeks ago and she wore a swimming cossie with a built in nappy and one of those baby swim seats.

We were worried about the cold too and kept a big bath towel by the side of the pool for when we got out.

I know they recommend 20 - 30 minutes for baby's first time in the pool, but we were in there well over an hour and when we got out she cried because she loved it so much.

Hope you enjoy your swimm at the weekend, we are in plymouth from friday till sunday, poss monday :cheer: :cheer:

I take oran swimming all the time casue he loves it and I dress him in swim nappy and a baby wrap wet suit to keep him warm. I only keep him in for about 15-20 min now but thats cause he is only 3 months and starts to get a bit cold/bored after this time but if he was 6 months+ I would keep him in for as long as he wanted as long as he didnt look cold (shivering etc)

THe first time i took D swimming he was only in for 10 mins but was getting cold but he wasn't 3 months old.

I certianly coult tell when D was ready to get out. He has 30 minute lessones now.

he also wears a disposable and a happy nappy

enojoy

I'm off to waterworld today, Eefie's 1st time too! Ive got little swimmers, a floaty seat thingy and he's got a 2 piece wetsuit.

Still terrified though that he'll poo in the pool or something and the little swimmers won't hold it but I think thats every mum's fear so I'm just going for it. Ive got 3 14 year olds with me so plenty of extra hands.

He was fine in the water and we stayed in about an hour and half. Only got out coz he was starting to fall asleep in his floaty chair :lol:

He wasn't cold but waterworld has this very warm waterfall so that area the water is like what you bath him at.

I think the earlier you take them the better. There was a 2 year old going for the 1st time who did nothing but scream and cling to his mum and refused to get in his floaty chair. He reluctantly went in when I showed him Eefie was fine in his but he wouldnt stay in it.

Have fun Gemma & Jake :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back