Swimming infection - update, Environmental Health results

mayday

Reaction score
Further to my post last week, my baby now has a further infection affecting her ears, respiratory tract and digestive tract. She is spending 20 out of every 24 hours crying, the 4 hours she isn't are the hours I have given her Medised. I asked the doctor if I was wrong to do this, and he said as she was clearly in pain - no. He has taken samples to send off to a lab to try and find out what is wrong with her.

This is all since we went swimming at the dirty baths. I found out yesterday that the pool was closed 2 days after we went due to turning green. The pool manager tells me that it was actually closed because of a chemical imbalance, although if you read my other post with his reply to my email you'll see he told me then that there wasn't too much chemical in the pool as it was automatically administered.

My doctor has recommended that I report this pool to Environmental Health, which I did so today. They were most interested to hear about the green stuff coming out of my daughter's eyes, and are going to look very closely at this baths.

I recommend you give them a wide berth - the pool on question is at Northcroft Leisure Centre, Newbury.

:shock: ...omg how bad is that, i hope she is feeling better soon hun, take care.xx

Awww, that is awful! Hope your LO will get better soon! :hug: :hug: :hug:

:shock: OMG how awful for you.

I hope she starts getting better too and I hope they do something about that pool. :hug:

OMG thats awful i hope your LO is better soon huna nd that you will get a good outcome from the environmental people :hug: :hug:

:shock: oh thats awful, hope your LO is better soon :hug:

That is truly awful I feel so bad that your precious little girl is suffering, I hope they get into some serious trouble for what has happened.

I really hope she is feeling better soon :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thats awful, I hope your LO will be well again very soon. As for the pool, dont let them get away with it! :hug:

Mayday, how is she feeling? i hope she is getting better.x

She was much brighter yesterday, but has been a bit weepy again this morning. I think it is just her eyes that are the problem now because she doesn't have an upset tummy any more. I have been given a swab stick to try and get some of the gloop from her eyes first thing in a morning so it can be sent to a lab, but I have two problems with this. 1) When she wakes up it is mostly very crusty and 2) she screams and wriggles when I go anywhere near her eyes at the moment and it is a bit nerve wracking trying to stick a long cotton buddie type thing so close to her eye. They must be really sore.

She's asleep at the moment, and she has slept much better for the last 2 nights. Thank you for your concerns everyone. B****y leisure centre hasn't bothered replying to my emails though asking exactly what the problem was with the water as this may help my doctor.

Awww hun, I am so sorry to hear she's unwell - from experience as a child, the green water issue sounds like the "chemical imbalance" they mention is a massive overdose of chlorine, which does make the water go green.
So much so, that one summer at our pool, the maintenance man put a bit too much in, and my hair - blondish when i was a kid went bright green - at the age of seven i thought that was dead cool 8) but my mum was not too pleased :roll:

I hope she is better soon...
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa

Hi mayday,

Hows your LO today?

I've been thinking about you, it's horrible when we have to watch our bairns suffer!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

xxx

If the green stuff is dry and crusty, it's not a problem, as the labs look at the bacteria, as long as you can put the swab in a sealed plastic bag or a tube, you are fine.

As for the pool, shame on them! I hope you are given some kind of compensation, you deserve it!

Stuff like this should be reported to watchdog (if it's still around). They'd get to the bottom of it.

Environmental Health called me today. They found the pool was indeed very dirty and had a number of bacteria in it that shouldn't have been there, including a Pseudomonas bacteria which is responsible for particularly nasy eye infections in both children and adults. There was also a massive chemical imbalance caused by their automatic chlorine doser breaking down.

The EH officer I spoke to had given them the choice of either voluntarily closing down or having an enforcement order placed on them. They voluntarily closed down. He is of the opinion that they are not up to the task of keeping the place clean, so he will be monitoring it carefully for the next few months.

I have still not even had a cursory reply from my email to the leisure centre :roll:

:shock: Omg that is terrible!! They should be apologising all over, god only knows how many people have been infected and not linked it to the pool.

:x :shakehead:

This may indeed be the pools fault. However Maia and several of her peers have had a very similar infection recently so it could be co-incidental.

Maia had vomiting and diaorrhea, a chest infection, and ear infection and conjunctivitis. She had no food for 6 days and no formula either, only dioralyte.

Does seems to be one of the 'things doing the rounds'.

Still probably a good plan to give that pool a miss though!

I do hope she's better soon, its nasty for everyone especially LO. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back