Sweeps-how are they honestly?

Little Bump

Reaction score
Hello Mums xx

I'm booked in for a sweep tomorrow at the hospital. I didn't know this until my midwife told me. The consultant at the hospital made the appointment incase I went over at my growth scan at 37+ weeks, but I didn't realise I would be 'swept' (OH's terminology rubbing off lol) until I was told at my appointment last week what it was for.

So....

I know all women are different, some find it uncmfortable, some a damned site more uncmfortable, some will go into labour afterwards, some won't, etc etc but I was looking for some honest accounts of how you found it please?

Am I likely to be uncomfortable afterwards? If so how uncomfortable? I'm trying to plan my day you see :rotfl:

my first one hurt quite a lot, and the subsequent three hurt even more. i do wonder whether it depends how favourable your cervix is though; i was induced at 40 weeks and was nowhere near ready for labour. the latter sweeps were after i'd had pessaries, which make you somewhat sensitive for a while. but although the first sweep wasn't pleasant, it didn't hurt at all afterwards.

none of my sweeps induced labour so i was given the syntocinon drip.

however you find your sweep, and whatever the immediate effect of it - the eventual outcome will be all worth while! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I enjoyed mine :lol:

It didnt hurt at all, and felt really nice. I lost my plug a few hours later then had James 48hours afterwards :D

My cervix was still high when I had mine... I won't lie, it as agony. I had honestly never felt anything like it. I had started to lose my plug the night before so I was hoping it would push things along. It didn't! It was about 3 days later when my waters broke and still my cervix was as tight as my dads wallet :roll:

Mine was uncomfortable. I burst into tears afterwards, but mainly because i tensed up. I was a nervous wreck. Plus i had a student watching! They pulled the curtain on the OH but coz i was scared they asked if i wanted him by my side, so he held my hand.
I lost a little blood after but that was it. I went into labour 5 days later, nothing to do with the sweep.

I had my sweep at 37 weeks, although i was already 1-2cm dilated so it may have helped, it didnt hurt at all, just stay relaxed and you will be fine :hug: :hug:

Mine was not bad at all but I don't think it worked. Think I had it on the wed or thurs and had started losing plug properly from the Friday, had contractions all Sat night and on and off Sunday all day and then went in to labour properly after midnight Sunday night/mon morning and she was born just after 9am Monday

Main thing is though if you don't want it, don't have it- they can't make you! :hug:

Just stay relaxed with even breathing, keep talking and you'll be fine, mine didn't hurt at all but then again my midwife couldn't get anything out because my cervix was still high at 41 weeks.
Good luck, it's alll worth it :)

I had one with Ophelia at just 2cm dilated, I personally found it VERY OUCHY, and cringey, but it doesn't take too long and isn't really comparable to birth itself so not really too bad considering :wink: I don't know how it contributed to labour, because I also had the gel that afternoon but gave birth that night. Very best wishes :hug:

I had Mine at 38+3 as i was being induced at 38+6 and mine was fine, just try to relax. I lost my plug a day later but was induced 2 days later and was almost progreesed enough for them to just break my waters but they gave me a pessary anyway first to soften it more.

littlebump - i had mine on tuesday & i can honestly say it hurt like hell.... sorry. the pain travelled al up my back & all i wanted to do for the rest of the day was lie down & feel sorry for myself. My cervix was closed though so technically it wasnt a sweep as such so dont know if it is better if cervix is soft... hope it goes well for you & you have more luck than me. Saying that ive booked a MW appt on monday to see if they will do it at the drs, maybe a woman will do it more gently :)

Its not the comfiest feeling but I didn't find it too bad its just quite a odd feeling but then having anyone poking around there would be. It did the job LOL!

I was quite relaxed for mine and it really didn't hurt, just a tad uncomfortable. She said she was going to check to see if she could do it, and didn't ralised she actually was until she said!

Best thing is to relax I guess and not tense up, look at something across the room and think/talk about something other than what's happening.

I bled a bit a few hours later and a little the next day with lots of regular BHs. Had the sweep lunchtime on a Saturday, waters broke 2am Wednesday.

Mine never hurt. I got it when I was 41+2 weeks. It didn't do anything for me. I am very uptight (literally!!) about getting internals and smears but I was very relaxed for this. I think it was because I was very comfortable around my midwife. Although I needed to fart sooooo badly during it! :think: How I managed to keep it in and relax at the same time is a miracle but somehow I did it! :rotfl:

I hope your sweep went well- you will have had it by now!

Just to add my two-pence worth- my sweep didn't hurt a bit and didn't do a thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back