membrane sweep

xnicolaxcx

Reaction score
hey,
im seeing my midwife tomorrow as ill be one week overdue. shes offerd me a membrane sweep. i was just wondering does it hurt? and what does it involve? i know its an internal and they sweep your membranes but how do they do it/what do they use? my mums friend told me she had one done and it hurt more than her labour? and she was screaming at them to stop :? :think: :? :think: :?
Also how affetive is it? i really hope it works cus i really dont want to be induced :pray:

Basically the midwife uses 2 fingers inside you to try to encourage the cervix to start opening more. I found mine uncomfortable but not painful. When I had mine I was already 1-2cm dilated and I had Ryan a day later. I was 9 days overdue when I had my sweep.

I'm glad you asked this question. I've to see a consultant on Tuesday for a possible sweep and I have heard from others that it really hurts and others say it was fine.

i had my second one this morning it is just a bit uncomfortable but not painful :D dont worry about it :hug:

I found my sweep quite painful, it doesn't help that you're not relaxed tho also lol.

I wasn't dilated at all when I had my sweep, which was maybe something to do with it being quite painful.

I would however opt for one again as I feel it was quite successful - I started contracting that evening although not regular - I had to be induced the following day.

Good luck :hug:

Laura xx

Its really not that bad! It does hurt a little bit but nothing more than a smear. I had mine at 3 days over due and my waters broke 24 hours later :D

i wouldnt say it hurts at all, its a slight discomfort at most i think.

well i had it done this morning and it really wasnt that bad!
it was just a bit uncomfortable.
she said hes a big baby though! arghh!
she said iv only dilated about 1 cm but she managed to get her little finger in and do a sweep so fingers crossed!!! :D
and there going to take me in this friday morning and induce me if still no sign of little man....so atleast i now know its less than a week until i have him! :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back