SWEEP...

Rosie1

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bit dim of me...but what is a sweep?

My midwife is a bit rubbish i think as she hasn't explained a single thing about the process of going into labour. I keep hearing terms like "sweep" "plug" "false labour" and they mean nothing to me! :?

I'm only 27 +5 so maybe she will start to explain it all at a later date (not that i have any more appointments booked yet...) but can anyone shed any light for me?!

I'm not very technical but i believe it involves the midwife, er, sticking her fingers in and giving them a wiggle! I know it's slightly more technical than that you get the gist of it!

They are given to try and encourage labour to start, normally given around your due date (though occasionally before) and you can choose not to have one.

P.S my midwife has told me NOTHING, i learn from people on here :)

If you'd asked me 8 months ago I'd have said the following.....

Sweep

515w6z12pnlaa240ho2.jpg

Plug

plugns6.jpg

False labour

gordonbrowngrab468x367rm8.jpg

:rotfl:

It has something to do with seperating the membranes in the cervix. My midwife doesn't tell me anything either. I think they assume I know it all already cos I've been through it before.
I didn't know much the first time either, and being 5 years ago I've forgotten loads!

Sherlock that was most hilarious it really put my
pelvic floor muscles to the test!

Sherlock that was most hilarious it really put my
pelvic floor muscles to the test!

:rotfl: :rotfl: Sherlock you had me in stitches! Thankyou for cheering me up!

i had 2 attempted sweeps but only attempted :(

Right here goes, had one yesterday... they insert 2 fingers into vagina to feel for cervix, if it is soft they put a finger in the hole in your cervix and rotate the finger, my consultant found mine was quite pliable so he stretched the sides with his fingers and said he could feel the baby's head. It is a little uncomfy...like a smear...but not painful at all!
:hug: phew......... :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back