• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sweep and Being Induced...please enlighten me...

kazlin

Reaction score
I know a few of you mums have had these but apart from Kimbo (induced I believe) I really cannot remember who else!

I may have a sweep next Wednesday, well MW has written it on my green notes as a message to my GP, but failing that I am being induced the following week, hospital 1st April.

Could any of you please enlighten me with your experiences please. Also please don't cover anything up, if this and that were really painful I want to know.

Thanks in advance :D

firstly sweeps..

i had 2 (well, attempted twice) but she couldnt reach my cervix because it was still high and closed.
it didnt hurt as she tried, just felt like a huuuuuuuge thingymibob going up you :rotfl:

so i was induced at 14 days over (24th jan hospital date...... i had 27th)

i had the prostin gel... it kinda hurt a bit as they put it in.. and then i had a burny feeling afterwards.
didnt hurt enough to have tears or anything... just the sorta pain where u wanna squeeze ur legs shut!!

then i felt fine after that... i had the gel at 8pm, (thereabouts) and then i got my first contraction at 4.30am.

good luck :hug: :hug:

I had a sweep at 3 days over with Nathan and was booked in to be induced at 14 days over. The sweep was a bit uncomfortable but nothing worse than a smear. Thankfully my waters broke the next day and I went into labour and he was born 48 hours after the sweep.
I was induced with Aimee at 11 days over but I wasn't offered a sweep and didn't realise that I could of asked for one. I was booked in at 8 am and was given a pessary at 11pm. Contractions started about 1 hour after that. They broke my waters at 4pmish and I was 10cms by 6pm so not to bad for an induction. She wasn't born for another 4 hours after that cos of her bad position but can't blame that on the induction.

i had sweeps with both of mine, and they werent as painful as i thought they were gunna be. With millie the sweep worked and i went into labour the next day. But it didnt work with ryan.

So on my induction day, i had a pessery at 1:15pm and started having REALLY strong contractions which just came out of knowhere at 3pm. There were every 3/4 mins and were soooooooooooo bad because they had come on all of a sudden, and not built up gradually, i hadnt had time to get used to them. I asked for some pain relief as i was crying in pain, and they gave me 2 paracetamol as they didnt think i was in labour. I put my tens machine on as well but this didnt help. 1 hour 40mins after contractions started (the longest 1 hour 40 mins in my life!) at 4:40pm my waters broke so they examined me. I was 8cm! So then they gave me some gas and air. They then started gathering my things up to take me to delivery suite as i was still on the antenatal ward. But i started to push and he was born at 5:10pm on the antenatal ward! they had to chuck everyone out!! good luck!! :hug:

I had a sweep with Alex. It was uncomfortable but not scream-worthy or anything.
Didn't work though, I still had to be induced.

I was induced with Lydia too but no sweep first. It took 4 days and 4 lots of prostin gel before she made an appearance, stubborn child.

I had a sweep with Brody, it was fine :)

I've been induced twice, and REALLY want to start naturally this time.

Being induced can be tedious. The gel really burned me and the drip was horrendous. I may well refuse the drip this time or be more in control of what dosage they give me.

Mason I had a long drawn out labour, I felt like my body wasn't ready and I didn't progress well.

With Brody my body was ready (try relfexology!) but they still had me on the drip and I went from 5cm to 10 in 20 mins, only then did the MW mention maybe turning down the drip. WTF??? I feel like she should have done it way before then, I was in agony with no time for pain relief.

My birth plan this time will be a lot more about ME being the one who chooses the dosage of things.

I had a sweep, didn't hurt though even though the M/W was quite rough. I went into labour the next day. We were reading up on peoples opinions on sweeps and some said it was the most painful thing ever, worse than labour :shock: others said it was fine.

Didn't have an induction though. Good luck!

I had a sweep last time and it didn't hurt but was uncomfortable, didn't do anything though and still had to be induced.

I had the pessary and had to have 2 lots, it didn't hurt getting them but the pain of contractions came on suddenly and very intense. Really hoping I don't have to be induced this time and would prefer to go naturally.

i had a fewe sweeps before i was induced and i found them very painful when a doctor does at, but when the midwife did it i hardly felt it!!! then i was induced as follows but i was 37weeks and my body was no were near ready for labour

induced at 37weeks!
1st pessary sat morning....NOTHING
2nd pessary sat night.......NOTHING
3rd pessary sun morning....NOTHING

day off from pessarys on mon

4th pessary tues morning...NOTHING

waters broke tues night at 5.30pm
baby arrived wed morning 05.49am..no intervention
and just had gas n air

i was due to be induced but when they checked i was already 2 cm and they broke my waters and done a sweep . its uncomfortable but not scream worthy

but

as for the drip to bring on contractions , that is hell :lol: sorry but it is ! my had leaked so i didnt get the gradula build up , so 2 hours down the line and they fixed it , i then got the full wake at about 5 mins to 8 . by 8 my contractions where 3 mins apart , by 8,30 there were unbearable ! but by 11pm i was 8 cm dilated and by 11.30 i was pushing :D he was born at 12.31 am

it just hurts so much as there's no gradual build up

i must have had a really vishious (sp) midwife then coz my sweep reallllly hurt and made me bleed :shock:

I went straight on the drip and it all happened so quickly. Very positive experience though and my labour lasted 1 hour 33 mins!

I had a sweep at 40 + 5. it wasn't all that bad but didn't work.

I was induced at 40 + 8 with the gel and had my son less than 12 hours later. xxx

Thanks so much everyone for your replies and honest opinions. I am going to go in with the attitude that yes it will probably hurt a fair bit, but if it's not as painful as I expect then bonus :wink:

Only two weeks and Daniel should be here :cheer:

OMG just posted same thing hun...will have a read through your replies :hug:

haha babe, you could have an april fools baby! Only you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was induced both times with my girls, but it was complicated :think:

The first time I was induced they had to break my waters for me with a big thing that looked like a knitting needle, and the second time I went in to be induced at 14 days over but was already 4cm dilated so they again broke my waters for me. I have never had that natural breaking of waters thing :(

I dont remember having a sweep or anything though, perhaps I did but forgot all about them which is a good sign!

glitzyglamgirl said:
had to break my waters for me with a big thing that looked like a knitting needle

I remember when they came out with that thing for me I was like "I sell them for pegging tents down - you aint putting that near me" :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back