Sure Start Grant

Bee7

Reaction score
Can anyone please give me a difinitive answer on this....

I know the Sure Start grant is mostly designed at families on benefits (income support, jobseekers etc) but i asked my midwife about it and she said that low income families can also apply. I currently work full time but i'm on a low income (under 14k) so would i be eligible to get anything? I'm living with my parents at the mo and am technically 'single' (OH and i may look into moving in together nearer babys due date but our 'joint' incomes dont really apply right now).

Any advice would be appreciated :) xxx

I was under the impression that its only for people on Income Support and ESA, JSA benefits like that! Also, it is only for your first child x

Who can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant?

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner, receive any of the following on the date you claim:
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
  • Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award

and if one of the following applies to you on the date you claim:
  • you or your partner are pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks or have given birth within the last three months
  • a dependent child you receive benefit for is expecting a baby within 11 weeks or has given birth within the last three months
  • you are not the mother and have become the responsible lone parent of a baby no more than one year old
  • you or your partner have been granted an adoption or a residence order for a baby no more than one year old
  • you and your partner have been granted a parental order for a surrogate birth and the baby is no more than one year old
  • you or your partner have been appointed the guardian of a baby no more than one year old
  • you or your partner have had a baby placed with you for adoption by an agency and the baby is no more one year old
  • you or your partner have adopted a baby abroad and the baby is no more than one year old
The term partner is used here to mean:
  • a person you are married to or a person you live with as if you are married to them
  • a civil partner or a person you live with as if you are civil partners
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...ort/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018854

So is it only for your first child? I work but get tax credits and my OH is a student, but I have a 9 year old xxx

Yes only for first child unfortunately. Im on my own pregnant with a 3 year old and I dont get it x

Yes only for first child unfortunately. Im on my own pregnant with a 3 year old and I dont get it x

Aww thats crap chick :( I remember they used to pay everyone £250 that was pregnant that earned under £25000 (I think). Like I agree with the government not wasting money (although they bloody cut things that are needed like healthcare and pensions) but sometimes that £250 could really help people out. xxx

Well its £500 now and only for first child :(

Also, the child trust funds I think have been abolished...so now I have one 3 year old with a trust fund with 100's in and a soon to be baby with nothing!!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back