sunbeds

jules84

Reaction score
I usually use the sunbeds/tancabs before summer.

I've assumed I can't. Is this right? I don't mind either way but would like to know and if anyone knows why?? (Not that I'm disagreeing I'm just curious haha)

xxx

I think its to do with your body overheating and when it does we cool down by sweating but our babies can't do this so its dangerous for them - the same way having a boiling hot bath is.

I wonder if its the same for lying outside on a sunny day (not like it ever gets too warm in n.ireland lol) or on hol in a warm country.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Yeah the heat and the intense UV rays are really bad for baby. Get ur tan from a bottle this summer lol x

Sunbeds do hideous damage even when you're not pregnant, use fake tan instead. Plus sun beds are terribly ageing x

Thanks ladies, that makes sense about overheating. Id never do anything potentially harmful to bubs, not worth it. I just didn't know if it was something that hadn't been researched so not advised or if there was a reason, not that is risk it if it hadn't been researched either haha

I don't use them a lot norm at all but ill skip this yr! Thanks girls!! Xx

It's the heat that would effect baby.. The uv rays can't go deep enough to effect them so it's nothing to do with that.. It gets so hot under a sunbed even with the fans on, when I used to use them I sometimes had to get off coz I couldn't stand the heat lol...x

this is something is topped staright away after finding out plus alot of places dont let you use them if your sporting a bump, must say im the whitest ive been in years lol, must break out the fake tan soon x

Defo no sunbeds while pregnant! Treat yourself to a nice spray tan if your going anywhere x

It's the heat that would effect baby.. The uv rays can't go deep enough to effect them so it's nothing to do with that..

I just want to clarify, the NHS website states that UV rays are linked to causing a breakdown in folic acid. So they are harmful for baby.

It's the heat that would effect baby.. The uv rays can't go deep enough to effect them so it's nothing to do with that..

I just want to clarify, the NHS website states that UV rays are linked to causing a breakdown in folic acid. So they are harmful for baby.

It says there is no clear evidence of uv rays effecting baby and that there may be a link between increased uv rays and a folic acid deficiency, not there definitely is...

but I wasnt meaning that anyway, I was talking about the rays not being able to go deep enough to effect them.

Well a breakdown of folic acid surely would affect baby would it not?

Yes it would .. But it doesnt say it definatley does that lol.. It says there may be a link to it!!

And like I said twice before, I was originally on about the rays not being able to penetrate deep enough so they don't effect baby in the same way they do to us.

The very fact that they don't know 100% that the UV rays don't do that is enough for me.

Ooh I have warm to hot baths is this ok??

Xx

So long as they dont make you sweat or cause your skin to go pink, both of which raise your core body temperature and your baby cant sweat to cool off, so its not adviseable. Admitedly the risk is not as high as it would be with a jacuzzi, but I still think its good advice.

In reality anything over 50-55 degrees C is too hot, but to others, that can feel a bit tepid.

I've been taking it as cool as I can comfortably stand it, but then I might be a little over cautious.
xx

My friend works in a sunbed shop and under no
Circumstances is a pregnant lady allowed to use them, they don't know the affects on the baby that's for sure. But also the over heating thing can be really dangerous, could lead to fainting etc... And that's not even just in sunbeds, even in hot weather it's best to take it easy and stay in the shade. My midwife did actually mention hot baths and showers to
Me, so it obviously is a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back