SUCCESSFUL NON SMOKERS THREADS

futuremum

Reaction score
Hi!

I thought that would be nice to have a thread in which people who successfully stopped smoking writes a few line to say how long they have been a smoker for and how much they used to smoke. When did you stop and you found the whole experience. Also can you add if you have still stopped smoking after giving birth. This will show people who wishes to stop but think it is impossible that it can be done :)

I will start:

* I have smoked for 12 years and used to smoke between 12 and 20 a day.
* I stopped smoking in June 2005 when I was 3 months pregnant and gave birth to a healthy baby :)
* I found it much easier than the other few times I tried to stop. I used the losanges to help at first and went to the support session in my local town. * My partner is a heavy smoker but i got used to it.
* Since my baby's birth, i had one cigarette because i was really stressed and thought it would calm me down but it was disgusting and was one of the most stupid things i have ever done as I have managed without them for so long!!! (And no money either :wink: )

I am not saying temptation is not here, especially when OH smokes so much but most of the time i do not even notice it.

So good luck to everyone who wants to stop :)

I have been smoking since my teens and was smoking about 7 a day in october 2005. (when i stopped)

Luckly I had such bad sickness that I was put off smoking and when the sickness got better the pregnancy hormones have made me HATE the smell of smoke :dance:

Partner still smokes but not around me and I am REALLY hoping he stops when LO gets here!

xxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone

I smoked 20-30 a day - gave up in August 2005. Have now been stopped for 7 Months.

Tried to stop several times over the years couldnt do it. Being pregnant definately helped!

I used the losenges too and found they were really helpful and really helped me quit. I was very worried about using them whilst pregnant - but I gave birth to the most perfect baby girl so I was worth quitting.

I still miss it on occassion - but I have come to far now to chuck it all away!! - there have been some stressful times over the weeks but I have managed to resist so far.

If I can do it - anyone can!

L x

I started smoking when I was 14, and in the end I was smoking 20-30 a day! (how did I afford that????)

I stopped in October 2005 after reading somewhere that smoking can stop you getting pregnant.

I didn't use anything, just quit cold turkey. I found this easier than switching to something else and then trying to wean myself off them.

I now detest the smell of smoke, and whenever DH has had one, I won't let him near me!!! :lol: He's quit smoking, but has the odd one at work, and a cigar with a pint. He will be stopping before LO is born though.

I Feel a bit terrible i have only been a non smoker for 6 weeks yesterday. with many failed attempts. I should have been strong but the main thing is i've done it now and i feel great for doing it. Still counting the days but im gonna do it for the sake of a healthy baby. You have all got so much will power and it's brilliant iv'e been smoking for about 5 years and wouldn't start again for the world. It's stinky and expensive isn't it my fewlla still smokes but he's barred from the flat. Him and all visitors who smoke have to endure the great outdoors ha ha. We have decorated the whole flat aswell so nothing has smoke on it it's all nice and fresh for the new arrival. 5 weeks left can't wait been taking up painting to pass time its really working.

Ive been a smoker for 5 years
I quit on the 28th may 2006 (4 days after finding out I was pregnant)
I smoked 12-20 ciggys a day depending on the circumstances
I still want ciggys but the sickness has put me off alot

I'm really proud of myself didnt thik I could do it but I did !!

well done to everyone else :D

Been smoking for 4 years
Quit as soon as I found out I was pregnant, didnt smoke at all during my pregnancy.
It was really easy for me :? I just really didnt fancy one at all :D
Smoked about 30-40 a day
I smoked a few after Nathan was born because I could lol wish I hadnt now tho and i've given up again. Still really easy for me 2 give up, not craving 1 at all :D

Rachel xx

i've been smoking since i was 15, i used to smoke at least 20 a day, if i went out drinking it was sometimes 40! (this really grosses me out since stopping) as soon as i found out i was pregnant i decided to just stop altogether as i would feel too guilty, i had one whole cig when i came out of the doctors from finding out..i was in shock! i havent smoked a whole fag since, i have had a few drags on my partners but that was in the first few months when i was finding it very hard esp after meals and times like that where your so used to just sparking up! i havent done that for the last 6 months now. i still find it hard and still get cravings but you have to just take it one day at a time..it gets easier the longer you go! i just think of that advert where the babies have smoke coming out of there mouths that always helps!

I was a smoker for 7 years and smoked between 20-30 a day.

I gave up 3 months ago as soon as I found out I was pregnant ( never thought I would ever be able to do that!!) I was on a low strength patch for 3 days then realised the baby was still going to get the nicotein
so I stopped.

Still fancy one now and then but it doesnt bother me to the point were im gaggin to have one. im not planning on smoking after the birth either the babys going to cost enough !!! :doh:

Well done ladies !!! :dance:

Hey Keira, you and I quit on the same day!

I have smoked since I was 13 (I cannot believe how young I was) I am now 28. Around 15-20 a day, but a lot more if I was out drinking for the weekend.
I quit cold turkey on 28th May 2006, about an hour after I found out I was pregnant.
Have a horrible feeling that I will probably start again when I haven't got my baby to stop me!

Misslarue said:
Hey Keira, you and I quit on the same day!

I have smoked since I was 13 (I cannot believe how young I was) I am now 28. Around 15-20 a day, but a lot more if I was out drinking for the weekend.
I quit cold turkey on 28th May 2006, about an hour after I found out I was pregnant.
Have a horrible feeling that I will probably start again when I haven't got my baby to stop me!

wow :p

how far gone where you when you found out you where pregnant then? must have been about 5 weeks? I was 7 weeks when I found out.

The 29th of may was my 16th birthday so I have never smoked legally :O

I smoked for about 5 years and about 20 a day. Found out I was pregnant in jan 05 and stopped straight away. Helped that I felt so sick haven't had one since then, the smell still makes me feel sick!

Keira said:
wow :p

how far gone where you when you found out you where pregnant then? must have been about 5 weeks? I was 7 weeks when I found out.

The 29th of may was my 16th birthday so I have never smoked legally :O

According to certain websites (I get a different day every time) I was exactly 6 weeks to the day.
Found out 5 weeks ago today.
Oh...........and naughty naughty girl! :wink: hehe

Hi

I smoked 30-40 a day for over 15 years before I stopped. I was ttc but still smoking. In feb 05 we gave up ttc because it had been so long with no joy. Then on march 12th I woke up, lit a fag, smoked it, lit another and thought "this is disgusting" and stubbed it out and vowed to never smoke again. At the end of march I found out I was pg and it worked out I probably concieved the same time I gave up smoking. Pure coincidence or my body telling me something?

I don't miss smoking atall and will never smoke again.

Lou :)

i smoked for about 5 years and i smoked 5-10 a day i've stopped now thank god i'm put off them

CONGRATS to all the smokers who are now non-smokers.

I smoked around 20 a day since i was 17, i quit when i was 24, in feb 2005. I really felt that I didn't want to be a smoker all my life, and wanted to quit sooner rather than later. My OH smoked about 10 a day, and he quit at the same time which was a big help.

I'm allergic to the patches and didn't like to gum so i quit cold turkey - the hardest thing i have ever done, but the most rewarding acheivement.

18 months later i feel like i can confidently and truthfully say that i am a non-smoker, and will not smoke again. I feel brilliant for quitting, and wish all smokers who are quitting at the mo, the best of luck, it really is worth the struggle - i promise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back