Stretch and Sweep nerves

emma_85

Reaction score
Last Thursday I had a 'sweep' - Some of you may remember I was not effaced, my cervix only admitted 1 finger and baby was 3/5 engaged and stationed -2.

Well! Today I have my second sweep, but MW did say that last time she could only do a sweep because she could only admit one finger, so this week she will hopefully be able to admit 2 fingers and stretch and sweep the neck of my womb.

I met up yesterday with some ladies from my ante natal group for coffee, one of the ladies is same amount of days overdue as me and had her stretch and sweep before meeting for coffee. She said it really hurt and she practically had to scream at the midwife to stop. Her words have played on my mind tbh, and I didn't sleep much last night for worrying.

Last week I found the sweep uncomfortable, but not at all painful.

This week I have lost 3 blobs of plug and been very 'gooey' down there (everytime I wee and wipe I have increased discharge - sorry if TMI) I've been hoping all week that this means that my cervix has been stretching on it's own, which has caused the plug to come away (this is just my theory, I haven't actually read up on it - just kinda makes sense in my own mind) Also had real sharp pains in my vagina - sometimes it has felt like my bottom.

My appointment is 12.10 - I have heard that after a stretch and sweep it normally takes up to 48 hours to begin labour - but doesn't work for everyone.

I just feel quite nervous, having vaginal examinations are not the most pleasant of things and I can just about get my head around the uncomfortableness of the whole situation, I'm just slightly on edge that it will hurt so thought I would express my fears :oooo:

Don't be nervous because you will tense up and then it will make it more uncomfortable!

Try and think of it like this the midwife getting involved down there can only mean your one step closer to meeting your baby :)

Yeah you just need to relax....make sure you relax your knees, as you will find you will tense up. As soon as the midwife told me to relax my knees when i was have a spectrum thing, everything felt much better.

SOunds like the woman over reacted, and if that hurt her, then she is in for a rude awakening come labour!!

Just breath and relax and all will be fine.x

I've had no experience of this but it can't be that bad I'm sure. It's never "comfortable" when they are up there but I'm sure it won't last long x

Yeah, I'm sure all be ok - thanks ladies :hugs:

Perhaps the lady who had it done yesterday is a *slight* wimp lol. I'm going to take some paracetamol before I go just to stop any pain before it starts!

I did find last week that I was really sore for the rest of the day, and the following day, although the soreness went away, the period cramps began with a vengence and the sharp pains in my foof, followed by loosing plug.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but my lil man could be here in 48 hours! :dance:

I don't want to get my hopes up, but my lil man could be here in 48 hours! :dance:

That's the spirit!! Good idea with the paracetamol too. I get period cramps from just checking my cervix for 5 seconds, can't imagine how strong they must come after a sweep. It's all good though, hope they don't stop for you once they start. So exciting :) all the best for today

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back