Will they give you a stretch and sweep before your due date?

Gemma & Jake

Reaction score
I went to see the midwife two weeks ago when I was 37 weeks and 3 days pregnant and I have to go again today at 39 weeks 3 days. When I went two weeks ago she said that if I had not had the baby by today then we could talk about induction. Do you think she meant we would just talk about it incase I don't have the baby by my due date or do you think she may give me a stretch and sweep or something? She did say last time that I had a nice sized bump and that I am measuring slightly over. If I do have a stretch and sweep is it just like having an internal?

My midwife said they probably wouldnt offer me one untill a week over but the consultant offered me one yesterday because it felt ready up there, even though i was only a day over.
Its not as bad as my midwife made it sound so dont listen to what people say about it..he was really gentle and said if i wanted him to stop at any point he would.
You could always ask her for a sweep, it only takes a few seconds to do and just feels like cramp..it cant be that bad because i would have another one if i needed one. :hug: :hug:

Eblinx said:
My midwife said they probably wouldnt offer me one untill a week over but the consultant offered me one yesterday because it felt ready up there, even though i was only a day over.
Its not as bad as my midwife made it sound so dont listen to what people say about it..he was really gentle and said if i wanted him to stop at any point he would.
You could always ask her for a sweep, it only takes a few seconds to do and just feels like cramp..it cant be that bad because i would have another one if i needed one. :hug: :hug:

A sweep is probably nothing compared to whats to come Eblinx!!

All these procedures are very daunting though :shock:

I don't like the thought of any internals to be honest. :? But i suppose it's got to be done :cry:

You could always ask for one hun, althouh they may well give you an internal anyway to see if you have dilated anyway.
I had 2 sweeps before my due date last time, cause I really didnt want to be induced, cause of the drip giving stronger contractions, and I prob wouldnt be able to get a working epi. I got about 5 sweeps in the end, and the last one got it going within a couple of hours.

Glad you asked this question Gemz as I was wondering the same thing. I haven't seen my midwife for three weeks so when I go on Friday I will be 39+5 I don't like the idea of being induced and I know that sweeps aren't always successful but I think I might ask her to see what she can do. Let me know how you get on.

My midwife made it sound bad and it was nothing, this coming from a whimp :cheer:

Well the answer to my own question is that no they will not give you a stretch and sweep until 10 days overdue and will not induce with drugs until 12 days overdue. Well I am hoping it starts naturally before that.

They have booked me in at the hospital to be induced (if I havnt given birth by then) on 23rd april & im only due on 17th April so thats only a 6 day O/D :think:

Probably different areas have different procedures? :doh:

Vicki83 said:
Probably different areas have different procedures? :doh:

Yeh maybe, or maybe its cause my BMI is like 2 or 3 points above the recommended or something and cause I have UAT, I have to be monitored incase it gets too low?

I really am clueless on these things, thats why this fourm is a godsend at times!

Well, guess there's no point in me trying to sweet-talk the midwife tomorrow then into giving me a sweep?! Don't these last few days drag??

lets see..the hospital gave me a booklet on induction so i know what the procedure is just incase i have to go.
membrane sweeps are usually offered between 40 and 41 weeks it says..and inductions for uncomplicated pregnancies is usually term +12 days but it could be before if its felt to be better for you, or your baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back