Stressed - sick note

TORino

Reaction score
I've been off work all week because my back/pelvis is hurting really bad and I haven't slept so i have been physically exhausted and not fit for work. I haven't been able to see my GP because they have no appointments. (despite explaining my situation to the receptionists)

I went to a walk in clinic and saw a nurse practitioner and was prescribed pain relief which doesn't seem to be working.

I phoned my manager and said I'm still not well and he has said if you phone in sick tomorrow you need a sick note or you won't get paid (because of the strikes)

How do I get a sick note? What if I can't get to see the GP tomorrow?

Will they just write me one out on demand? I've never had a sick note before. Can they be dated retrospectively?

This is stressing me out big time now thinking about losing a days pay etc

Any advice?

You need to be seen by your GP but they will back date it for when you wish. I had to stop working in September because of the hypermesis and had to claim ESA. I got a letter in November telling me they needed a sick note from 9th September (took their time sending it to me!) So when I went Doctors he backdated it for me all the way from September 9th. As long as you can get the note with the dates you should get the pay you are owed :)

Not sure how it works where you are but we can self certificate sickness for up to 5 days then we have to get a sick note.

Would assume that when you eventually get to see your Doc he can probably back date if you explain you need a note for work. Also surely the fact you've been off all week would give your employers some indication that you're not striking, just poorly?

For the first 7 days of sickness a self-cert will legally cover you for your job, after that you will need to hand in a doctors sick line.

I had an ex boss who told me i had to hand in a Dr sickline the first 7 days and that it was law, i went to see my GP and he kindly gave me a pre-printed letter politely telling my boss that GP's dont hand out sicklines for the first 7 days of sickness that a self-cert covers that and to maybe read up in it. That soon wiped the smile off her face when that letter totally belittled her knowledge of the workplace.

I'm really pissed about it, self cert doesn't apply in this scenario because of the strikes. It's almost like he is implying I am striking and trying to get paid for it. (maybe I'm being irrational here)

I could count on one hand the number of days off sick I've had in the 4 years I've worked there, he has no reason to think I am taking the mickey.

:( I'm just worried the doctor won't write me one out now.

I wouldnt worry, i think if you just explained to your Dr about everything he/she will give you a sickline.

What a scumbag your boss sounds. I would always have that in the back of my mind if ever he asks if you can do him a favour!!!

I dont know how your GP works their appointments but in mine if they don't have enough time to see you they will fit you in for a 5 minute phone appointment if the problem can be dealt with over the phone and then we usually go and pick up the prescription if we need one.

Does your GP do anything like this? You could go and pick the sicknote up later on if they will do this?

Here goes, wish me luck in getting an appointment!

good luck torino, sorry to hear your going through this. xxxx

good luck torino, sorry to hear your going through this. xxxx

Thanks Hun - hope you are doing ok?

I've managed to get an appointment so we have progress today. Those receptionist ladies are terrible though, I had to beg for it!!

yes im not doing too bad thanks, glad you got your appt!!! Hope they can give you something to ease the pain. xxxx

Well I got my sick note, and stronger painkillers, though he told me they wouldn't harm baby but make it sleepy which makes me feel a bit bad about taking them :(

So glad you got to see your GP, got sicknote & painkillers.

Just give your boss the sicknote and dont think anymore about it as they are not worth it. :hug:

hi torino. Re back & pelvic pain, would it also be worth getting ur gp to refer you to physio? Hope you are feeling better soon.

hi torino. Re back & pelvic pain, would it also be worth getting ur gp to refer you to physio? Hope you are feeling better soon.

That would sound like a good idea but I really struggle to get my GP to do anything. :wall2:

I find him really dismissive about a lot of stuff. :mad:

I've washed my hands of him now, he just wants to throw painkillers at me so I've been googling techniques to help me with exercises etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back